"World Peace..." review by Ann Powers and stream - NPR; other streams

Re: WPINOYB now streaming in full on NPR! (Plus a very positive review.)

As the subject line says, the full album is streaming in full on NPR's website now! I'm not sure if there was a radio broadcast of the accompanying (very positive) review, but either way, this is nice publicity—usually the albums that show up on First Listen wind up getting on-air coverage on various NPR programs and local affiliates.

http://www.npr.org/2014/07/06/326925957/first-listen-morrissey-world-peace-is-none-of-your-business

Great news!
Many thanks :)

I'm getting sick of those on this site actively dissing Mozzer for the sake of it...they either think they're 'cool' for following an outdated mainstream view that moz doesn't measure up to the smiths (ie they're true media following sheep) or they never really understood the allure of moz's best work. For the record, and without needing to make a song and dance about it, I didn't rate the last few albums highly myself, but this new one is f'in class - good on you moz and the band for creating something that brings back that exciting tingle I've not felt about music for years.

I think he or she meant comments on articles on newspapers, music websites etc. Like through Disqus or Facebook. Is that hard to understand, or is it just bad will (consciously interpreting opinions wrong)?!

You're right, they don't read the comments here, they just respond to them.

I think he or she meant comments on articles on newspapers, music websites etc. Like through Disqus or Facebook. Is that hard to understand, or is it just bad will (consciously interpreting opinions wrong)?!

No, certainly not bad will! I assumed that "here" (as in "There is plenty of vitriol here") referred to Morrissey-Solo, but it's entirely possible that I am mistaken. Apologies to the earlier anon if that is the case.

Today was the first post I have made here in years. There are a lot of confrontational people here waiting to pounce; it's so exhausting. I'm gonna give it a shot though because I still think this is the place where most people come for news even if they don't post.

USkinny, you are one of the primary reasons, I no longer read the comments. You - the angry moderator who will not be buying the album. You - the angry moderator who puts down anyone who believes in God. *You - the angry moderator who cusses left, right, and center. Mods should moderate and neither create nor inject themselves into controversies. Your job is not to escalate matters but referee, diffuse, and reprimand if needed. There should be term limits on moderators and you should, of your own accord, step down. Please go.

Well indeed. How could someone who doesn't bellieve in invisible sky wizards offer cogent comment?

P.

This album is amazing. I'm extremely impressed by its musical originality and the production is absolutely perfect.

Very exciting for Moz fans given that Years of Refusal was average, at best. (Does YOR take claim to worst solo album for Moz? For me it does.)

This new album is worthy of the high praise it has received in the reviews. And yes, "Staircase..." is a Morrissey top 5 best-of.

Having heard clips from the new album, I am afraid to say (as many others have said) that it seems Morrissey has lost his creative spark. I don't think he is necessarily morally culpable for this, however. After all, creativity is almost by definition something spontaneous, something that cannot be willed into existence. So it isn't just that he isn't trying hard enough, I think. On the other hand, there may be some moral culpability in the lyrical content. It seems his lyrics have become more and more misanthropic in recent years. In his heyday he could write a song like "Hold on to Your Friends," which had real wisdom about being a compassionate human being. But somehow that seems to be lacking in his more recent material, which is a shame.

Thank you NPR ! I was able to listen to the album and it was quite a joy . Nice work Moz . Funny to see all the anonymouses coming on here, blasting the album and kicking the named moz solo members for being to "soft" on Moz . Crazy world !

Thankfully it's not another Years of Refusal, Ringleaders, or even a "Come Back to Camden", that style is tired and outdated. It's refreshingly different, musically sophisticated, and probably too complicated for those 3rd of the Month Club Members still living with their parents.

In his heyday he could write a song like "Hold on to Your Friends," which had real wisdom about being a compassionate human being. But somehow that seems to be lacking in his more recent material, which is a shame.

Completely agree. For me, it dates back to the "explosive kegs between my legs" lyric where I first thought, oh, that is a little less than imaginative. His past lyrics had more of a feeling of being crafted rather than the mere statements of fact (lists of cities, bull fighting is bad, etc.) Maybe it has to do with age, and the fact that many of his lyrical roads have already been well traveled leaving little fresh to harvest. Coming from someone of a similar age, I can see how this might be the case. Also, comfort breeds complacency so maybe there is a little All the Lazy Lyricists in there as well. Still his past work will live on forever so there is that to be thankful for.

Completely agree. For me, it dates back to the "explosive kegs between my legs" lyric where I first thought, oh, that is a little less than imaginative. His past lyrics had more of a feeling of being crafted rather than the mere statements of fact (lists of cities, bull fighting is bad, etc.) Maybe it has to do with age, and the fact that many of his lyrical roads have already been well traveled leaving little fresh to harvest. Coming from someone of a similar age, I can see how this might be the case. Also, comfort breeds complacency so maybe there is a little All the Lazy Lyricists in there as well. Still his past work will live on forever so there is that to be thankful for.

Though I'm yet to listen to the album (having only heard the 4 'singles'), I was really impressed with Istanbul and, from the comments of others, Staircase... sounds promising. I'm also excited for Mountjoy after seeing the lyrics, but we shall see. Anyway, I don't think it's worth us expecting him to produce a career topping record now, but if he can give us 2 or 3 very good songs on each album then I'll take it every time, even if it means they're surrounded with weaker efforts.

When I read your first sentence I honestly thought you were talking about the album's tone

By the way, I really like the album after listening to it once. It definitely reminds me of the vibe on the tour.

Neal Cassady, I'm not a man, Istambul, Oboe Concerto, Staircase are my favorites so far.

There is plenty of vitriol here, plenty of killjoys, plenty of bile. I make it a point to only read the headlines, click on links if interested, and never read the comments.

USkinny, you are one of the primary reasons, I no longer read the comments. You - the angry moderator who will not be buying the album. You - the angry moderator who puts down anyone who believes in God. *You - the angry moderator who cusses left, right, and center. Mods should moderate and neither create nor inject themselves into controversies. Your job is not to escalate matters but referee, diffuse, and reprimand if needed. There should be term limits on moderators and you should, of your own accord, step down. Please go.

I don't gave a thumb on this ridiculous ano reply, as my thumb center says

Just gave my FIRST to King Leer in the ' Harvest/Capitol ends contract with Morrissey, so I'm puzzled, this new thumb up is just a game whose populair, well I'm not...
as I don't gave a Thumb on this post.

Last edited:
I don't gave a thumb on this ridiculous ano preply, as my thumb center says

Just gave my first to King Leer in the ' Harvest/Capitol ends contract with Morrissey, so I'm puzzled, this new thumb up is just a game whose populair, well I'm not
as I don't give a Thumb on this post.

The thumbs have nothing to do with popularity. The biggest dick head here has the most thumbs of anyone. It's not hard to work out who he is. He'll be along soon.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom