"World Peace..." Music Week review, rebranded "MorrisseyWeek"

Re: First full length review of the new album

It's in today's Music Week, and it's all a bit lukewarm.
Described as a 'good' album but unlikely to win new fans.
There's no real comment on the music. Lyrics to I'm Not A Man are covered in detail but nothing really on the other songs we don't yet know.
Either we unfortunately only have an ok album on our hands or the reviewer isn't a great music journalist.

Care to post up the text? That being said I am not surprised an industry journal would focus on winning over new fans. Though yeah I am willing to go with a not great music journalist for the time being, that being said seeing the text would help.

And that's the extent of the First full length review of the new album?
Sorry - it's not online and I didn't buy the magazine. It's just a summary of what I read from memory. It felt like a 3 star (out of 5) review. Not a proper music magazine so let's hope it's not representative.

I just love these....."his best album in 20 years" every time and for every artist.....a bit boring

Cheers Moz

The image used for the cover of Music Week is slightly different from the one we've been seeing for weeks now; namely, the duplicated plant and debris on the lower left hand side has been corrected. Is this the final album cover, do we think?

jT9Jg4e.jpg

Re: World Peace: Music Week review

Here's the text of the Music Week Review.

"Did you listen to Morrissey on Desert Island Discs a coupe of years ago? Of course you did. You're not a Philistine. When he wasn't flirting outrageously with Kristy Young. he gave us vignettes from his life and gave us glimpses of his taste, but the inherent message message, surely, was: be interesting; don't just exist, be interesting. Or at least try to be. Boredom is the enemy, convention is its web.
And so to Morrissey's solo career. It hasn't been consistently brilliant, or even, with quite long hiatuses between deals, consistently in existence. But it has always been interesting. World Peace Is None Of Your Business maintains the tradition.
The first (title) track seems him bump up against politics. Not party politics (trust Moz to swerve a party), but the point of politics, and of politicians. "Work hard and sweetly pay your taxes/Never asking what for/You poor little fool", he chides, before lending support to his louche friend/acolyte Russel Brand by coccluding "Each time you vote, you support the process".
It is followed by a clanging assessment of the beat generation in the form of Neal Cassady Drops Dead (whatever you think about the music, Morrissey always delivers stunning titles).
And then comes I'm Not A Man, a brilliant litany of everything that defines maleness, rejected by our hero, contemptuous of the "Warring caveman/Wheeler dealer/Mover shaker/Casanova" and confident he is, in fact, "something bigger, better" and less (that word again) conventional. Later on her urges us to Kick the Bride Down the Aisle and briefly reprises the zither driven code to Please, Please, Plesae... in the process.
Morrissey is a man for whom the phrase "a return to form" is banned, not least because its boring, but make no mistake, this is a good Morrissey album, continuing a renaissance that started with You are the Quarry, and has been fuelled by vim and vinegar ever since.
Will he win over new fans? Will he tempt back the swathes of former constituents who have drifted away? Will the media salivate or savage? No, maybe and both would be good guesses, and probably in that order. But this much is certain, we'll miss him when he's gone, and no one will remember him as being boring".

Thanks for providing the text. But it really is a shit review, isn't it?

Thanks for providing the text. But it really is a shit review, isn't it?

I'm all for score-free reviews, but only if it feels like a fleshed out review. All that this thing reads like is an introduction to a longer review, that being said the positive buzz here+Mojo's buzz inspires excitement.

I'm still confused why someone who usually always looks immaculate is on the cover of his first album in 5 years wearing a white tee shirt, track pants and converse sneakers.

I'm all for score-free reviews, but only if it feels like a fleshed out review. All that this thing reads like is an introduction to a longer review, that being said the positive buzz here+Mojo's buzz inspires excitement.

Yes, and also the editor from the French magazine Les Inrockuptibles, who also said it was his best album in decades. Very exciting buzz :)

This is a magazine called Music Week, and when pretty much all they can say about the musical side of this album is "whatever you think about the music, Morrissey always delivers stunning titles", then it's hard to feel as though it's really pushing the boat out with praise.

This is a magazine called Music Week, and when pretty much all they can say about the musical side of this album is "whatever you think about the music, Morrissey always delivers stunning titles", then it's hard to feel as though it's really pushing the boat out with praise.

To be fair its much more of an industry magazine. So maybe writing about compositions just isn't in their wheelhouse.

To me the most exciting aspect is that the horrible photoshop cloning from the original cover might possibly have been fixed (or simply cropped out)!

He's still photoshopped to hell.

This is truly devastating news. Devastating. I think back to all those rapturously insightful reviews that all those Artie Fufkins at 'Music Week' gave to every Smiths gem and Moz solo classic. They've always really got him so. Y'know? I mean, he's no Ed Sheehan. But then, hell, who is?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom