"World Peace Is None of Your Business" Reviews

I wonder what you have downloaded. This is clearly his best work in the 21st century.

I downloaded something with lots of distorted guitar and weird sound board electronic sounds peppered amongst some real duffer lyrics.

People on here are going to disagree with me because I rather liked the grandeur, melodious sound and reflective lyrics in ROTT and hated the over production and synth noise of YOR but a lot of people loved it so I will be one dissenting voice amongst millions.

Grant me this much (there is much more wrong) but - Listen to the start of Art Hounds (the part that sounds like a marching band warming up) and tell me how that fits with the rest.

Also the start of kiss me is a mess and doesn't lead in cleanly to the rest. Does it have to? you might say, no but it's a bit of jolt when the part that leads in to the song doesn't fit.

Last edited:
Ok it's your right to be largely disappointed.
Personnally i was frightened to listen to this after the 'hype', i've always been very critical with Moz's solo work since 1988 (so you can see how old I am by now), but really this time i think he hit it spot on, the production is formidable (maybe a bit too much 'exotic' sounds, right), the singing great as usual, guitars are often subtle (new new!), and there are killer pop songs here (staircase, smiler, art hounds). I couln't expect more, personnally.
Now as a non-native english-speaker, you could argue about some lyrics/song topics, that is true.

A friend of mine who has not been interested in music or 'pop' culture for years heard me playing the new album yesterday and asked if it was a new REM album. Which I thought was interesting as I hadn't made that connection myself but it does feel quite REMesque to me. Later period REM especially. Anyone agree?

A friend of mine who has not been interested in music or 'pop' culture for years heard me playing the new album yesterday and asked if it was a new REM album. Which I thought was interesting as I hadn't made that connection myself but it does feel quite REMesque to me. Later period REM especially. Anyone agree?

Oh yes, I can hear that.

'Oboe Concerto' musically sounds like a Radiohead track.

Oh yes, I can hear that.

'Oboe Concerto' musically sounds like a Radiohead track.

I overlaid Death Of A Disco Dancer onto a slightly speeded up Oboe Concerto last night to be mischevious - it was quite funny. Especially after he sings 'there's a song going around in my head that I can't forget!' Ha ha!

Actually Oboe Concerto sounds really Beatles 'Abbey Road' in production etc - the bass even has a McCartney feel. Go on imagine it playing after 'Octopus's Garden' ;)

Last edited:

Yes, the Up/Reveal period with its almost baroque arrangements at times.

You know what? It is so bizarre reading Morrissey fans comments about songs I haven't heard yet. The mind boggles reading this descriptions as to what my ears are waiting for. This has never happened to me before. I have always heard the songs before hearing the critiques.

I know this must sound like a stupid thing to post but it really is an odd but good feeling. Only 10 more days to go............:guitar:

I never listened to REM a lot, especially later REM. Never listened to much Radiohead, either.

I was afraid to bring this up, because I'm sure it'll instantly be met with scorn and derision, but, in terms of the musical/production elements, I think it has a lot in common with Bright Eyes' "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" (a very unpopular album I personally love and consider to be the best post-2000 BE album):

I certainly don't actually think it influenced WPINOYB, but I do hear a lot of parallels in the the sometimes chilly production coupled with the blending of acoustic instrumentation and weird electronic textural/synth elements.

I kinda see some very minor parallels between this and mid-era Snog albums, too. They did a lot of crunchy electronic/alt. country crossover stuff around that time:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtU3XVIoTc

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely loving the beat and piano on 'One of Our Own'; so unlike any other Morrissey song.

You know what? It is so bizarre reading Morrissey fans comments about songs I haven't heard yet. The mind boggles reading this descriptions as to what my ears are waiting for. This has never happened to me before. I have always heard the songs before hearing the critiques.

I know this must sound like a stupid thing to post but it really is an odd but good feeling. Only 10 more days to go............:guitar:

I am w/ you - still reading still not listening. My abstainence 'I think' will make me more receptive to the thing as a whole. I don't think I'll be thrown by lyric or production style details. Bring me the kool aid. I'm ready to love it.

Great album! Conor Oberst is one of the few lyricists working in Morrissey's league (his latest work is relevant, profound and addictive). If Moz could come up with anything even close to "Easy/Lucky/Free" he'd have a home run.

I was afraid to bring this up, because I'm sure it'll instantly be met with scorn and derision, but, in terms of the musical/production elements, I think it has a lot in common with Bright Eyes' "Digital Ash in a Digital Urn" (a very unpopular album I personally love and consider to be the best post-2000 BE album):

I certainly don't actually think it influenced WPINOYB, but I do hear a lot of parallels in the the sometimes chilly production coupled with the blending of acoustic instrumentation and weird electronic textural/synth elements.

Last edited by a moderator:

You're such a good boy for not listening to the album early. Here, have a cookie.

You're such a good boy for not listening to the album early. Here, have a cookie.

I just don't want to listen to it on my computer. Nothing wrong with that. Plus I've listened to the 4 songs so much I need a break from Morrissey across the board.

Yes, It's Kirsteen, she confirmed it herself.

I'm interested in who's singing backing vocals on 'Kiss me Alot'. Also, it sound like they're singing in Spanish, possibly. Maybe the same as the 'WPINOYB' outro?

I think it might be French: "embrasse-moi".

I can totally see this as well. I actually made a connection elsewhere that “Mountjoy” musically reminded me of R.E.M. circa “Automatic for the People”, which is a great compliment coming from me :)

Tags
morrissey new album
Back
Top Bottom