"World Peace Is None of Your Business" Reviews

Re: My Review Of The New Album

Speak for yourself!

I think Agharta is probably Barleycorn with a dress on...

You mean with a different dress on? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Oh I wasn't speaking for myself at all. Sex with me is always great. I was referring to the rest of you :)

On a serious note though I think we could all pretty much predict who was going to trash this album way before anyone actually heard it. I could list the names but I can't be bothered.

Lest we forget "I was looking for a job and then I found a job"

I mentioned this in another thread, but "I will be in the bar with my head on the bar" is one of my favorite rhymes from any Morrissey song just because it makes me laugh every time.

On a serious note though I think we could all pretty much predict who was going to trash this album way before anyone actually heard it. I could list the names but I can't be bothered.

You're right, but they're doing it with noticeably less gusto. I think even they know that there are so many great songs on the album.

The people who hate it knew they were going to hate it before hearing a note.

and Chickpea, no lie I laugh at that line every single time too. It’s brilliant!

I mentioned this in another thred "I will be in phrasing, stress my head on the bar" is attention l of my favorite rhymes from any Morrissey song just because it makes me laugh every time.

I've never been on this forum before, so you can dispel that notion.

I wanted to love the album before I heard it so you can brush that idea under the carpet too.

If I disturb the ecosystem you have created, your world must be rather delicate and unable to deal with competition, no? Open you minds and let different lights in.

"I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows... " captures both the droll matter of factness of Northern phrasing and the essential simplicity of the dichotomous necessity vs tedium that employment
represents. By contrast, " I will be in the bar with my head on the bar" is a clumsy attempt to make a legal joke - I get it, but the line jars rather than works because of the repetition. It's different from tthe job line, but maybe you lack the finesse of appreciation to get that. Could be an American thing I guess.

Rhyming spanner with piano is an inspired piece of whimsy and surrealism that serves the song. It's witty and causes a mild comedy double take from the listener that actually makes you side with the narrator as a result. Rhyming university with ways is nothing of the kind - it's lazy and uninspired. Rather than making me think "you lunatic" in an affectionate way like In 'The Queen Is Dead', it makes me think "You idiot". As if the song wasn't pathetic enough (the whole "you're dead to me" thing is silly melodrama - nobody would say that to their daughter in real life), this vocal tic just underlines the laziness of the whole piece.

How many of the songs on this album would The Smiths or early solo Moz have released? The bar (yep) has been lowered so much over the years, it's pretty depressing. All these positive reviews? In the main because it has been a while since the last album, because Autobiography generated so many column inches and because the album does a good job of sounding ok on the surface. On a dumbed down level of our 'listen and move on' social media culture, it is no doubt an alright series of songs. But a satisfying, nourishing album like the ones he used to make it definitely is not. Stormy waters run shallow.

Last edited:

I wanted to love the album before I heard it so you can brush that idea under the carpet too.

If I disturb the ecosystem you have created, your world must be rather delicate and unable to deal with competition, no? Open you minds and let different lights in.

"I was looking for a job and then I found a job and heaven knows... " captures both the droll matter of factness of Northern phrasing and the essential simplicity of the dichotomous necessity vs tedium that employment
represents. By contrast, " I will be in the bar with my head on the bar" is a clumsy attempt to make a legal joke - I get it, but the line jars rather than works because of the repetition. It's different from tthe job line, but maybe you lack the finesse of appreciation to get that. Could be an American thing I guess.

Rhyming spanner with piano is an inspired piece of whimsy and surrealism that serves the song. It's witty and causes a mild comedy double take from the listener that actually makes you side with the narrator as a result. Rhyming university with ways is nothing of the kind - it's lazy and uninspired. Rather than making me think "you lunatic" in an affectionate way like In 'The Queen Is Dead', it makes me think "You idiot". As if the song wasn't pathetic enough (the whole "you're dead to me" thing is silly melodrama - nobody would say that to their daughter in real life), this vocal tic just underlines the laziness of the whole piece.

How many of the songs on this album would The Smiths or early solo Moz have released? The bar (yep) has been lowered so much over the years, it's pretty depressing. All these positive reviews? In the main because it has been a while since the last album, because Autobiography generated so many column inches and because the album does a good job of sounding ok on the surface. On a dumbed down level of our 'listen and move on' social media culture, it is no doubt an alright series of songs. But a satisfying, nourishing album like the ones he used to make it definitely is not. Stormy waters run shallow.

The fact that you think that 'Staircase' is a literal attempt by Morrissey to address the pressures of tertiary education means that you clearly don't understand the song my friend. It is Morrissey doing that whole over-the-top high camp drama that started with the hilarious 'Girlfriend in a Coma' many moons ago. ""Do you think it's really serious?" Hahahaha. Other songs like 'Mute Witness' share the same sense of humour. As John Peel mentioned on the Southbank documentary references to 'death and pain' are what makes Morrissey very very funny. I'd also say he's ending up his own gloomy image with the lyrics in this song. The idea that you actually take the premise in 'Staircase' seriously tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.

. All these positive reviews? In the main because it has been a while since the last album, because Autobiography generated so many column inches and because the album does a good job of sounding ok on the surface. On a dumbed down level of our 'listen and move on' social media culture, it is no doubt an alright series of songs. But a satisfying, nourishing album like the ones he used to make it definitely is not. Stormy waters run shallow.

Yeah or maybe (whisper it) the reviewers actually liked the album. Quell horror that they share a different POV from you!

It's the equivalent of him singing "Everyday is like Sundoo, every day is silent and blue". Complete bollocks. He should have rewritten the second line to rhyme with University rather than fit the first to second. Schoolboy error.

I've been noticing your rants against Moz and the new album, but this may be the most c***ish of all. You can't be serious, which has nothing to do with whether or not you're trying to be serious. There are few rules to be imposed in poetry, and you declaring that one can't put a little flair at the end of a word's pronunciation is a portrait of foolishness.

Your opinions haven't disturbed this quaint little ecosystem at all. It's a pebble in the ocean as far as I am concerned. What you've written so far isn't really good enough for that. Write something original and it may go a long way. Try losing the condescending tone maybe?

People not liking this album is not keeping me up nights. Regarding people I could tell wouldn't like it anyway I was referring to people who have been on here for years, otherwise how else would I make that point? You have quite an opinion of yourself don't you?

Last edited:
The fact that you think that 'Staircase' is a literal attempt by Morrissey to address the pressures of tertiary education means that you clearly don't understand the song my friend. It is Morrissey doing that whole over-the-top high camp drama that started with the hilarious 'Girlfriend in a Coma' many moons ago. ""Do you think it's really serious?" Hahahaha. Other songs like 'Mute Witness' share the same sense of humour. As John Peel mentioned on the Southbank documentary references to 'death and pain' are what makes Morrissey very very funny. I'd also say he's ending up his own gloomy image with the lyrics in this song. The idea that you actually take the premise in 'Staircase' seriously tells me pretty much everything I need to know about you.

So, what is the song 'about' then? If it really is just an excuse for Morrissey to do 'that whole over-the-top high camp drama', then that's pretty craptacular. There must be a message, regardless of medium - even a seemingly empty vessel is full when you change perspective.

So here's my guess - Morrissey sees all the ongoing and snowballing press talk around education and he therefore decides to address it, in his inimitable way. So yes, the song is about 'the pressures of tertiary education' - you'd have to be a fried potato not to get that, given the title and the, um, lyrics.

The fact that it's a very cartoonish, babyish take on the issue is the real point here - its just a shit execution of something that could have been so much deeper and thoughtful.

Yes, of course I get that this is the guy who did 'Girlfriend In A Coma' and 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', but those songs are so obviously used to add levity and the ballast of humour to albums that would otherwise be weighed down by the heavyweight anchors that surround them. They work superbly in the context of their albums. And, crucially, they have great melodies and work as subversive pop songs. Swap them out for 'Staircase' and you'll see just how poor a song it is from that angle. Morrissey is 55 and he's writing sledgehammer vs nut juvenilia like this?

WPINOYB is a million light years from the superbly constructed and crafted Queen Is Dead and Strangeways. With the exception of 'Mountjoy' and 'Istanbul', none of the songs can hold a candle to his previous heights and depths. That 'Staircase' is currently massively in the lead as favourite track amongst members here (http://www.morrissey-solo.com/poll.php?pollid=1859&do=showresults) speaks volumes.

Last edited:
So here's my guess

Even as a guess this is pretty flaccid. Could it be Morrissey, as a narrative songwriter, a storyteller, simply wanted to tell this particular story? It sparked his interest and he followed it to its conclusion?

Either you're over-analysing and making a hash of it or you have a silly, sour agenda.

Could it be Morrissey, as a narrative songwriter, a storyteller, simply wanted to tell this particular story? It sparked his interest and he followed it to its conclusion?

What does that even mean? You mean he wrote a song about it? Well, duh....

Its not the writing of the song about it, its how the song is written about it that matters.

So, what is the song 'about' then? If it really is just an excuse for Morrissey to do 'that whole over-the-top high camp drama', then that's pretty craptacular. There must be a message, regardless of medium - even a seemingly empty vessel is full when you change perspective.

So here's my guess - Morrissey sees all the ongoing and snowballing press talk around education and he therefore decides to address it, in his inimitable way. So yes, the song is about 'the pressures of tertiary education' - you'd have to be a fried potato not to get that, given the title and the, um, lyrics.

The fact that it's a very cartoonish, babyish take on the issue is the real point here - its just a shit execution of something that could have been so much deeper and thoughtful.

Yes, of course I get that this is the guy who did 'Girlfriend In A Coma' and 'Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others', but those songs are so obviously used to add levity and the ballast of humour to albums that would otherwise be weighed down by the heavyweight anchors that surround them. They work superbly in the context of their albums. And, crucially, they have great melodies and work as subversive pop songs. Swap them out for 'Staircase' and you'll see just how poor a song it is from that angle. Morrissey is 55 and he's writing sledgehammer vs nut juvenilia like this?

WPINOYB is a million light years from the superbly constructed and crafted Queen Is Dead and Strangeways. With the exception of 'Mountjoy' and 'Istanbul', none of the songs can hold a candle to his previous heights and depths. That 'Staircase' is currently massively in the lead as favourite track amongst members here (http://www.morrissey-solo.com/poll.php?pollid=1859&do=showresults) speaks volumes.

Staircase at the university is better than Girlfriend in a coma and Some girls are bigger than others. It's one of the most gorgeous songs he has ever released. And I actually think the lyrics are quite good. They have grown on me. Of course they are hyberbolic, but Morrissey has always been hyperbolic. The lyrics are not a social commentary on education and parental pressure. They are meant to make you laugh. And they do. The last line is hilarious: And if it breaks your legs/Don't come running to me.

Staircase at the university is better than Girlfriend in a coma and Some girls are bigger than others. It's one of the most gorgeous songs he has ever released. And I actually think the lyrics are quite good. They have grown on me. Of course they are hyberbolic, but Morrissey has always been hyperbolic. The lyrics are not a social commentary on education and parental pressure. They are meant to make you laugh. And they do. The last line is hilarious: And if it breaks your legs/Don't come running to me.

Exactly, the last line is a dead giveaway as to how serious Moz is being.

I dunno, maybe it's an age thing. But Morrissey is 55 and the song is just infantile. If that's meant to be his idea of funny, I guess he doesn't have a very developed sense of humour. What am I suppose to be laughing at - a young woman killing herself because she didn't get the right exam results? Why is she even at the university if she didn't get the 3 As? What a weak and strangely bitter song.

Your opinions haven't disturbed this quaint little ecosystem at all. It's a pebble in the ocean as far as I am concerned. What you've written so far isn't really good enough for that. Write something original and it may go a long way. Try losing the condescending tone maybe?

People not liking this album is not keeping me up nights. Regarding people I could tell wouldn't like it anyway I was referring to people who have been on here for years, otherwise how else would I make that point? You have quite an opinion of yourself don't you?

I agree NOTHING could make me dilute the sense of enjoyment I have for this album. Also just used the 'ignore' function for the first time and put that misery guts Agharta on it. Ahhh good times.

I dunno, maybe it's an age thing. But Morrissey is 55 and the song is just infantile. If that's meant to be his idea of funny, I guess he doesn't have a very developed sense of humour. What am I suppose to be laughing at - a young woman killing herself because she didn't get the right exam results? Why is she even at the university if she didn't get the 3 As? What a weak and strangely bitter song.

Well, it possible to get into university without 3 As.

But yes, it's a very daft song. It doesn't ring true as a story and it doesn't make any sense as a joke. By far the worst lyric on the album.

No. You're supposed to be laughing at the hyperbole.

And the rhyming and the alliteration in the song is just a tour de force. "If you don't get three As/Her lovely boyfriend said/Your shame is sure to stain the family name". What's not to love about these lines? The song really showcases Morrisseys mastery in the field of wordplay.

No. You're supposed to be laughing at the hyperbole.

And the rhyming and the alliteration in the song is just a tour de force. "If you don't get three As/Her lovely boyfriend said/Your shame is sure to stain the family name". What's not to love about these lines? The song really showcases Morrisseys mastery in the field of wordplay.

I can only assume you are royally taking the piss.

Tags
morrissey new album
Back
Top Bottom