"World Peace..." enters at #2 in UK album chart

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Wish is actually a little better than Disintegration (and, of course, I love Disintegration!) It's more varied but, at the same time, more level.

As with Smiths/Moz, I've followed the Cure from the beginning, and I agree with this. Track for track, Wish is my Favorite Cure album, with "Doing the Unstuck" being what I consider a truly underated gem, and one of my all-time favorite Cure songs. I'm also very fond of "To Wish Impossible Things", which is sort of its lyrical counterpoint.

Having said all that, I don't think the Cure have opened any album yet with anything that can top, for my taste, "Plainsong".

Hilarious how people are trying to blame the media for this. If Morrissey had gotten off his lazy arse and promoted properly, he would have a Number 1.

Plenty of time for this album to reach #1. It's a slow-burn, slow-building triumph and it's beyond the comfort zone of previous Morrissey listening experiences. If/when "Morrissey" decides to resume the treadmill of live/media appearances, there's every likelihood of this album hitting #1: especially if he decides to play a few UK dates in bizarre, unlikely venues. He could try that Prince hit'n'run' thing. Or he could bend and spread for Harvest and play some Manc-tastic Enormodome again. Because that really, really worked last time.....

It's so hot here in Engerland, even at 8:30am. Another day exploring the heritage trails of Industrial Civilisation, I'm doing the slow-food, slow-canal boat thing for a few days again. Cliff Richard used to live in Gas Street basin. Wonder when he was last here?

wishing all of you a lovely, lovely day listening to WPINOYB as you do your wonderful, wonderful employment thingies.

best wishes
BrummieBoy

Plenty of time for this album to reach #1. It's a slow-burn, slow-building triumph and it's beyond the comfort zone of previous Morrissey listening experiences. If/when "Morrissey" decides to resume the treadmill of live/media appearances, there's every likelihood of this album hitting #1: especially if he decides to play a few UK dates in bizarre, unlikely venues. He could try that Prince hit'n'run' thing. Or he could bend and spread for Harvest and play some Manc-tastic Enormodome again. Because that really, really worked last time.....

It's so hot here in Engerland, even at 8:30am. Another day exploring the heritage trails of Industrial Civilisation, I'm doing the slow-food, slow-canal boat thing for a few days again. Cliff Richard used to live in Gas Street basin. Wonder when he was last here?

wishing all of you a lovely, lovely day listening to WPINOYB as you do your wonderful, wonderful employment thingies.

best wishes
BrummieBoy

are u high mate? It had one shot to make #1, 5 years in the waiting, anticipation building, a few tv apps and boom, sales might have tripled, that was the only chance it had. Any copies that did get sold we by his longtime fan base, #2 was actually a good result. No ones gonna go and buy the album now, at least not enough to push it upto #1. #2 was a respectable peak but it will drop like a stone. You were good in your time, moz.

Having said all that, I don't think the Cure have opened any album yet with anything that can top, for my taste, "Plainsong".

Agreed. Great statement of intent both musically and lyrically.

Best opening track for Morrissey btw imho is "Now My Heart Is Full". As for The Smiths, I'm spoilt for choice really, as all of their regular albums have such strong opening tracks.

Agreed. Great statement of intent both musically and lyrically.

Best opening track for Morrissey btw imho is "Now My Heart Is Full". As for The Smiths, I'm spoilt for choice really, as all of their regular albums have such strong opening tracks.

You're gonna need someone on your side, was a good opener, not my favourite song by any means but at least it had some balls.

You're gonna need someone on your side, was a good opener, not my favourite song by any means but at least it had some balls.

Drat, forgot about that one. That song is perhaps an even better opener, a great shock to the system after Kill Appetite.

In Germany he is not even in the Top 100 album charts. I checked yesterday and it said 132 or something like that and around 240 elsewhere. Couldn't be bothered to store the exact figures in my head. Yippeeeeeeeeee!!!!!!

During the first week Years of Refusal was no. 4. What can I say? Well done, inspirational f*** and fan arseholes! Finally he is gone, gone, gone. One can only hope that he'll not appear through the backdoor via that no. 2 in the UK.

I read elswhere that some French smartarse seems to think he is no. 8. One of those new slimey fancy superfans. Yeah, right, alternative Amazon charts. Not even no. 1 there. Wasn't that the category that he supposedly invented with The Smiths? Ha!

The German chart hasn't been updated yet, as far as I can tell. Ed Sheeran, for instance, shows as being in his fourth week in the latest one to be published; he's on his fourth week in the latest chart UK chart (and yes, it did release on the same day in Germany).

Anyway, in the UK World Peace is going to be plummeting towards the lower regions of the top 20 (or worse) as it is at #12 after Monday's sales.

'twas always thus; if the internet had been invented 30 years earlier he would have been posting that 'Panic' had cracked the Turkish Milk Maidens Top Ten.

I think his Internet presence has greatly diminished his... mystique. Now he's got the chance to spout whatever opinion and get it syndicated unpurged, he may come across slightly more human but also removes all the glamour, leaving him as just another opinionated crackpot - of which the world has enough already, myself included.

And while he may be #2, at least he'll never be....ginger! :eek:
...Until the day he buys the wrong dye again. Would give him a oportunity of updating "I Know Very Well How I Got My Name" as well, though. A man in a cranky old phase... Btw Sheeran's hair being ginger has no relation to his music or persona's quality but we all know that :D

Last edited:
World Peace entered the charts in the Netherlands at #28, which is higher than the peak position for Quarry (#30) and just below the peak position for Ringleader (#22), Morrissey's third- and second-best-selling records over here before World Peace broke out. (Viva Hate still is his highest charting album at #12 for a total run of eight weeks.)
(Source: Dutchcharts.nl http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem....el=World+Peace+Is+None+Of+Your+Business&cat=a, scroll down a bit for an overview of all his albums' chart positions.)

Sterling Morrison said:
"I can talk to myself this way!"

The first-week results of the Swiss, German, Flemish and Swedish charts are linked through on the same website as well.

They are, in order, #30, #8, #160 and #30.

yeah brum boy it might still sell decently over time but the chances of it going #1 are gone unless some unforeseen influence pops up.

I'm in Dublin, not much buzz about the album here, I'm afraid. Haven't heard it in any bars/clubs. Maybe I go to the 'wrong sort of clubs'. LOL!

DSC_0429.jpg

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom