"World Peace..." enters at #2 in UK album chart

Last edited by a moderator:
What's annoying is some of the whining about how the new songs aren't accessible to garner new fans. They are not, nor were they ever meant to get new fans. You either like him or loathe him, this will always be the case. From what I gather from all fan sites, the album is much appreciated and the new style appreciated.

I'm sure the very last thing Harvest or Morrissey would have wanted was a major international crossover hit album on their hands.

The release of the consecutive (weak) singles was a bad marketing idea on many fronts, but that is typical of Morrissey's past behaviors. In terms of sales, he deserves what he has received, so for all of the bootlickers out there, quit defending him--no matter what he does.

"Staircase" is probably the most "pop friendly" song on the album, but again, even if it were released as a single, it would not get radio play simply because it is not typical of what the record companies are shoving down our throats. "Staircase" is the strongest song out of all, and it really is a nod to his past genius--too bad the majority of other songs are just mere whining lyrics by a miserable man who is too blind or stubborn to see that if he puts his mind to it, he (and the sorry sods playing for him) can actually still produce something melodic and lyrically solid.

The release of the consecutive (weak) singles was a bad marketing idea on many fronts, but that is typical of Morrissey's past behaviors. In terms of sales, he deserves what he has received, so for all of the bootlickers out there, quit defending him--no matter what he does.

"Staircase" is probably the most "pop friendly" song on the album, but again, even if it were released as a single, it would not get radio play simply because it is not typical of what the record companies are shoving down our throats. "Staircase" is the strongest song out of all, and it really is a nod to his past genius--too bad the majority of other songs are just mere whining lyrics by a miserable man who is too blind or stubborn to see that if he puts his mind to it, he (and the sorry sods playing for him) can actually still produce something melodic and lyrically solid.

When you are waited on hand and foot and won't go to dinner without 2 security guards, you're going to lose the ability to write great lyrics. He has no real sense of reality anymore.

not a big fan of staircase but kiss me a lot is super catchy. its the roys keen of world peace

not a big fan of staircase but kiss me a lot is super catchy. its the roys keen of world peace

It's one of the worst songs of morrisseys career and the lyrics are, well lets just say you'd expect them for an aspiring 10yr old Brittany spears wannabe singing with a hairbrush.

From a marketing standpoint, it would make a great single. It sounds like something a lot of people could get into, which probably doesn't sound so great to fans who were there from the beginning and think of Moz fandom as a private club. "Kiss Me A Lot" could appeal to a larger audience, particularly those who appreciate something danceable. It's poppy and fluffy enough to be a hit, although the more traditional Moz fans would hate it for this very reason. I've been a fan since the 90s, so while I can appreciate deeper lyrics and a more unconventional vocal melody, I like his voice and the music on this song. Personally, I think he's saving the deeper stuff for that novel he's writing.

"Kiss Me A Lot" could appeal to a larger audience, particularly those who appreciate something danceable. It's poppy and fluffy enough to be a hit, although the more traditional Moz fans would hate it for this very reason.

I agree with this, though I'm in the camp that likes the song very much for what it is. I'm thinking about what "Friday I'm In Love" did for the Cure in the US—the album it was on (Wish) wound up going to #2 here—their highest US chart position to date—and opened them up to a whole new set of fans who'd previously (and mistakenly) thought of them as being a gloomy, boring, goth band. Similarly, there are an awful lot of people who still think of Morrissey as being "the pope of mope" (or whatever) and imagine listening to him as being akin to bleeding out in a bathtub. It's OK to open the door a bit and make it a little easier for new listeners to take notice.

^^ My 16-year-old self hates me for writing that…

I agree with this, though I'm in the camp that likes the song very much for what it is. I'm thinking about what "Friday I'm In Love" did for the Cure in the US—the album it was on (Wish) wound up going to #2 here—their highest US chart position to date—and opened them up to a whole new set of fans who'd previously (and mistakenly) thought of them as being a gloomy, boring, goth band. Similarly, there are an awful lot of people who still think of Morrissey as being "the pope of mope" (or whatever) and imagine listening to him as being akin to bleeding out in a bathtub. It's OK to open the door a bit and make it a little easier for new listeners to take notice.

Great analogy though. Ironically despite that Cure album selling a lot over here, I think it's highly underrated by the fans!

Would you ask your 16 year old self to swing by a Spencers next time she's in the mall and pick me up an Ash bobblehead? They were $10 back then but they're about $30 on eBay now!
I figure you know but, just in case, I'm talking about Ash from Evil Dead (although the bobblehead was an Army of Darkness thing- I think.) :)

Great analogy though. Ironically despite that Cure album selling a lot over here, I think it's highly underrated by the fans!

Morrissey had his Vauxhall, and the Cure had their Disintegration—once you've made something that's absolutely perfect from first to last note, well, there's nowhere to go but down. If the Cure hadn't made an album that was a few shades lighter in tone than Disintegration as the follow-up, they wouldn't have been able to continue as a band. I'm as big of a Cure fan as I am a Moz fan, but I don't think they ever really regained their footing after 1989 (at least not in the studio—live is a whole 'nother story!!). Comparatively speaking, I think Morrissey has held up much, much better in the songwriting department over the past couple of decades!

I think Wish is actually a little better than Disintegration (and, of course, I love Disintegration!) It's more varied but, at the same time, more level.

Uh oh, them's fightin' words!!

OK, enough digressing. Sorry for the off-topic-ness! :p

Morrissey had his Vauxhall, and the Cure had their Disintegration—once you've made something that's absolutely perfect from first to last note, well, there's nowhere to go but down. If the Cure hadn't made an album that was a few shades lighter in tone than Disintegration as the follow-up, they wouldn't have been able to continue as a band. I'm as big of a Cure fan as I am a Moz fan, but I don't think they ever really regained their footing after 1989 (at least not in the studio—live is a whole 'nother story!!). Comparatively speaking, I think Morrissey has held up much, much better in the songwriting department over the past couple of decades!

Uh oh, them's fightin' words!!

OK, enough digressing. Sorry for the off-topic-ness! :p

Robert-Smith-The-Cure--007.jpg

Morrissey has held up much better in other ways as well... that said- the past 25 years haven't been particularly kind to me either!

Last edited:
Would you ask your 16 year old self to swing by a Spencers next time she's in the mall and pick me up an Ash bobblehead? They were $10 back then but they're about $30 on eBay now!
I figure you know but, just in case, I'm talking about Ash from Evil Dead (although the bobblehead was an Army of Darkness thing- I think.) :)

No problem! I'm sure I'll find them right next to the penis pasta and the plasma ball lamps!

Open is the best song Robert Smith ever wrote...
Open and Disintegration are both incredibly personal and well-written songs. Also, Robert Smith has grown lyrically and thematically. Okay- that's it- I'll shut up now. I know this isn't a Cure fansite! :rolleyes:
Last thing... Robert Smith does look more like Baby Jane than he does 1980s/1990s Robert Smith but I feel like he's grown up and can write about things I can still relate to. That seems, to me, to be Morrissey's biggest flaw as an artist. He's too removed from the unwashed masses.

Boris Williams' drumming on that record is outstanding. The Cure took a big dip when he left and Jason Cooper took over.

He's too removed from the unwashed masses.

Whereas Robert Smith, on the other hand…haha. Nah, I adore Robert and always will, but the jokes really do just write themselves. And I wouldn't change him for the world.

Boris Williams' drumming on that record is outstanding. The Cure took a big dip when he left and Jason Cooper took over.

Agreed, but after 19 years, I think I'm starting to get over it! Jason is a swell guy, and he had very big shoes to fill.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom