"World Peace..." enters at #2 in UK album chart

Last edited by a moderator:
I think it's more likely that the wiki page hasn't been updated with complete chart information for the album yet.

I hope this is true. However in my country, Norway, it didn't chart on the official top 40 album-chart (VG-Lista) for this week. I find this a bit strange, I must say, considering that the last three albums have been #5, #2 and #6.

I hope this is true. However in my country, Norway, it didn't chart on the official top 40 album-chart (VG-Lista) for this week. I find this a bit strange, I must say, considering that the last three albums have been #5, #2 and #6.

Well, I can't speak to Norway's charts, but the new Billboard US chart positions won't be announced until July 23rd, so we won't know how WPINOYB charted in America until Wednesday.

Not only does Ed Sheeran have a #1 album but he has 11 'Singles' in the UK 100 Singles chart(#8, #23, #26, #56, #65, #67, #74, #75, #80, #82, #86). I suppose the 'singles' are actually downloads of tracks and aren't proper seven inch vinyl discs that we Morrissey fans crave. All this downloading lark makes it difficult to understand what's what. So people buy the individual tracks and not the whole album? Weird.

What's annoying is some of the whining about how the new songs aren't accessible to garner new fans. They are not, nor were they ever meant to get new fans. You either like him or loathe him, this will always be the case. From what I gather from all fan sites, the album is much appreciated and the new style appreciated.

I'm not sure what the rules are for album streams, but I read that a Spotify stream of thirty seconds is enough to count as one 'sale' under the new singles chart rules.

So not only do people not want to take the time, trouble and expense of actually buying and owning a physical, tangible object containing pop music; all they have to do now is actually 'listen' for thirty seconds whilst taking a dump, picking their nose, watching Flog It! or whatever, and, bingo, it counts as a sale.

I'd imagine it may be something similarly surreal for an 'LP'.

The world is f***ed.

Consequently, so are the Pop Charts.

Most sane adult human beings have realised this and have, with a sigh and a shrug, moved on to something more important. Or something else, at least.
Morrissey has not. And he is not unaware of this fact.

To glibly sum up, through an imperfect confluence of an emotionally and economically impoverished childhood in amidst the first and last great flourishing of impossibly glamourous chart-bound truly popular music, Morrissey came to associate (chart) pop music with self-worth.
Morrissey wanted to be Elvis. He expected to be Elvis. Probably still does.
He wants mass worship from a mass he mostly loathes.
A natural born outsider who craves popularity. But measureable, quantifiable, chartable popularity. Self-worth with a bullet.

Shrinks could retire on less. Some may have.

'twas always thus; if the internet had been invented 30 years earlier he would have been posting that 'Panic' had cracked the Turkish Milk Maidens Top Ten.

Personally, I think #2 is rather fine, given the, let's say.....minimalist promotion.
And while he may be #2, at least he'll never be....ginger! :eek:

He's just outsold moz 2-1 and has 2 #1 albums (three years apart by the way so he's not off the production line churning out shit for the cash), all at the age of 23. He's a decent artist, gotta give credit where it's due. You sound like a snob.

Aren’t we all a bit snobbish though? :)

Currently doing my part via Spotify. On my second listen of the album on there today. Listened to the vinyl once today too, sadly that doesn’t count each time :)

it deserved a nmbr 1 for quality though the whole pre order was a mess, if it would've been sold
after a release, with only those great spoken words clips as PR, 14 july...I think sales would be higher the past week.

'and they say he's mentall'...Netherlands a 8.85

I'm not sure what the rules are for album streams, but I read that a Spotify stream of thirty seconds is enough to count as one 'sale' under the new singles chart rules.

So not only do people not want to take the time, trouble and expense of actually buying and owning a physical, tangible object containing pop music; all they have to do now is actually 'listen' for thirty seconds whilst taking a dump, picking their nose, watching Flog It! or whatever, and, bingo, it counts as a sale.
:

Yeah streaming has contributed to all those Ed tracks in the top 100.

It used to happen a BIT before streaming was allowed to count towards the singles chart. But this is the first major major album release since streaming was allowed and we see this unfortunate (imho) effect.

In the past you used to see it a little bit with mega albums, because people were presumably downloading a few tracks off the record but not the whole thing.

I can see they want to keep the singles chart relevant but I'm not sure this was the way to go, with singles sales (nearly all digital downloads, mind) being pretty healthy actually... maybe they should have promoted a separate 'top streams' chart. So we could have singles / albums / streams.

And all the more sad as the UK singles charts had a proud tradition of being by sales alone even when other countries and charts (notably America) incorporated airplay into the charts, UK never did. always only counted sales. You could argue streams are more like sales than airplay as the consumer is choosing to listen to the track individually, and 'paying' (either by subscription or listening to advertising - as only legal streams count) but choosing to buy the individual track forever digitally had a lot more in common with buying a 7" or CD single to own, than with streaming.

As for Moz, I still think it is an open question whether he could have beaten Ed if he had gone all out with the promo. Would have been tough, admittedly, given how Ed pulled ahead of him more and more as the week went on. But big tv appearances (which Moz can still command) and magazines, newspapers (he could have got some really good ones) could have done wonders for his sales.

Last edited:

From the UK Chart Company: "To reflect the difference in weight between streaming and purchasing, 100 streams will count as equivalent to 1 single (download or physical single) in the chart compilation process." So each stream is only worth 1% of a sale. Hardly mind-blowing.

But big tv appearances (which Moz can still command) and magazines, newspapers (he could have got some really good ones) could have done wonders for his sales.

No they couldn't. The only promotion that makes any significant difference is SONGS ON THE RADIO.
When did you last buy an album because you read an interview in a magazine? It makes f*** all difference. Really.
People are interested in the things that Morrissey the controversial celebrity has to say, and will read his interviews. But they will not make them buy his latest album.
Look at the current UK airplay chart. Morrissey is at 68 with Istanbul. Sheeran is at 2 with Sing which is being heard by millions of people every week. The difference is enormous, and you can't counter that with some controversial interviews in the odd publication. People buy albums because they think their going to love the songs.
What could have helped Morrissey would have been the release of the most tuneful song on the album i.e. Staircase (despite the awful lyrics).
It would've got Morrissey into the top 20 airplay chart which would've meant massively bigger first-week sales. It might, and should, still get released, which would help the album sell well in the long term (like FOTG did for Quarry) but he's lost the chance of a number one album.

From the UK Chart Company: "To reflect the difference in weight between streaming and purchasing, 100 streams will count as equivalent to 1 single (download or physical single) in the chart compilation process." So each stream is only worth 1% of a sale. Hardly mind-blowing.

So many people are streaming now that it has had an impact (see the Ed Sheeran placings - this was observed a little but before streaming counted, but not this much ) and that will probably only rise over time.

Also yes each stream is only 1% of a sale but a stream is only a play after all, you might play a digital track many many times when you buy it, so that's only fair.

So, the album only charted in the UK and Sweden. Sad, very much.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Morrissey_discography#Studio_albums

World Peace entered the charts in the Netherlands at #28, which is higher than the peak position for Quarry (#30) and just below the peak position for Ringleader (#22), Morrissey's third- and second-best-selling records over here before World Peace broke out. (Viva Hate still is his highest charting album at #12 for a total run of eight weeks.)
(Source: Dutchcharts.nl http://www.dutchcharts.nl/showitem....el=World+Peace+Is+None+Of+Your+Business&cat=a, scroll down a bit for an overview of all his albums' chart positions.)

Hope he sells a few more/improves his chart position a bit, but this is a solid result for him over here all the same.

Last edited:
Final numbers, I think he did fantastic considering he was up against Ed Sheeran, although there is probably little crossover in fan base, it was still David and Goliath in terms of total sales.

1 Ed Sheeran 39,375
2 Morrissey 18,762
3 Dolly Parton 15,408

Final numbers, I think he did fantastic considering he was up against Ed Sheeran, although there is probably little crossover in fan base, it was still David and Goliath in terms of total sales.

1 Ed Sheeran 39,375
2 Morrissey 18,762
3 Dolly Parton 15,408

And just sneaked 2nd spot ahead of Parton, that would of been embarrassing.

No they couldn't. The only promotion that makes any significant difference is SONGS ON THE RADIO.
When did you last buy an album because you read an interview in a magazine? It makes f*** all difference. Really.
People are interested in the things that Morrissey the controversial celebrity has to say, and will read his interviews. But they will not make them buy his latest album.
Look at the current UK airplay chart. Morrissey is at 68 with Istanbul. Sheeran is at 2 with Sing which is being heard by millions of people every week. The difference is enormous, and you can't counter that with some controversial interviews in the odd publication. People buy albums because they think their going to love the songs.
What could have helped Morrissey would have been the release of the most tuneful song on the album i.e. Staircase (despite the awful lyrics).
It would've got Morrissey into the top 20 airplay chart which would've meant massively bigger first-week sales. It might, and should, still get released, which would help the album sell well in the long term (like FOTG did for Quarry) but he's lost the chance of a number one album.

I disagree... what you are saying is true for the singles charts. Which nowadays more than ever are driven by radio play (particularly commercial radio play) but it's not true for albums. Artists can still chart high in the albums chart (e.g. Moz himself!) without significant airplay for their songs. (and if Istanbul is 68 in the airplay charts and Ed is 2, where are all those other artists from 3-67 with their albums? Answer is the albums chart is not nearly as responsive to airplay as the singles chart). And tv and other very prominent can help - albeit for albums, not singles.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom