Work is a four letter word

Scarlet1987

The sanest days are mad
I listen to this a heck of a lot in recent days, Morrissey sounds so sad singing this, or maybe not.

I listen to this a heck of a lot in recent days, Morrissey sounds so sad singing this, or maybe not.

Well, it was recorded at the very final Smiths sessions and reportedly they were rather tense.

I remember now Marr's declaration about recording this song (and Golden Lights too) and he's said that Work Is a Four Letter Word is not a trully Smiths song - and not only for being a cover, but 'cause it was not what the whole band would like to do and they have done only by Morrissey's wishes. And there's an another Marr's declaration which he's said: "I didn't join the Smiths to play Cylia Black".

I remember now Marr's declaration about recording this song (and Golden Lights too) and he's said that Work Is a Four Letter Word is not a trully Smiths song - and not only for being a cover, but 'cause it was not what the whole band would like to do and they have done only by Morrissey's wishes. And there's an another Marr's declaration which he's said: "I didn't join the Smiths to play Cylia Black".

All short men are bitter in some way

Apparently the Napoleon complex is a myth!

Anyway, I seem to recall the sessions for Work Is A 4-Letter Word and I Keep Mine Hidden came after Marr had told Morrissey he wanted The Smiths to split. Which seems incredibly; essentially, a band that has broken up recording b-sides. The producer Grant Showbiz said Moz and Marr barely spoke and Morrissey seemed aggressive, almost drunk! I do like both tracks but they do have an odd quality. I Keep Mine Hidden is an oddly barbed throwaway, probably aimed at Marr like the sentiments of the Cilla Black cover. The session was called off early and the other attempted tracks, a cover of Elvis' A Fool Such As I and a fragment of a Moz/Marr original called You Don't Know Anything were never completed. All in all, an odd coda to the story of The Smiths.

simon goddard has witten about it in the songs to save your life--maybe next time you are in bookstore have a peak..

I have it doll, I just appear to not of read this one yet

Well, it was recorded at the very final Smiths sessions and reportedly they were rather tense.

One would think that.
I think he sounds like he is enjoying himself. I love that song.
Contrary to popular wisdom, the recording of that album was meant to be a happy one- in general.

One would think that.
Contrary to popular wisdom, the recording of that album was meant to be a happy one- in general.

Well, the Strangeways sessions were meant to have been okay, more or less, but the Girlfriend In A Coma b-sides were recorded later. And by all accounts they were a little more grim. I like both songs but do think he sounds particularly doleful one them, which is understandable.

One would think that.

He clearly does not

I have to say that I really dislike that track. It has to be the one of two Smiths track that I don't care for, 'Money Changes Everything' being the second. Although its not nearly as painful as 'Work...'

Glad you've been enjoying it though!

i have to side with marr on this one... work is a four letter word and golden lights are the only smiths songs that i despise.

He clearly does not

They broke up after the album was made not during.
It's amusing in a lot of your posts you claim this is sad or that is angry or Moz will off himself by 60.
I don't mean this in a rude way (honestly)........Oh, never mind.

Lets just say your projecting says lots about you

They broke up after the album was made not during.
It's amusing in a lot of your posts you claim this is sad or that is angry or Moz will off himself by 60.
I don't mean this in a rude way (honestly)........Oh, never mind.

Lets just say your projecting says lots about you

Why does it? I don;t tembember

I don't believe that Morrissey regreted of recording them 'cause as you see he had put them to play on stage - as intermission songs, by the way.

Work Is A Four Letter Word is not one of my favourites either. It's kind of listenable to a point but the music is played in a half-arsed, session-like kind of way compared to everything else they ever did. You can tell there was no passion in the playing. I Keep Mine Hidden sounds very under-produced and not mixed or worked properly to any degree. I think with a lot more work on it and with the right atmosphere it would have been similar to Sheila Take A Bow but they obviously were not at their productive best when these things were recorded.

Back
Top Bottom