Morrissey Central "Words By Betty Friedan (1921-2006)" (September 30, 2021)

Last edited by a moderator:
Lovely.

I can imagine M having this quote written on a little piece of paper and
pinned to his bedroom wall as a teenager.

kS
I’d suggest he’s simply circling around Ayn Rand. But he’s getting warmer, I’ll give him that.

I’m not familiar with her work, what do you mean in relation to my post?
I guess that I think he’s looking at material that, ultimately, isn’t ‘lovely’ but perhaps rather indicative/defensive of a hyper-subjective perspective.

Ayn Rand was perhaps the most famous advocate of the idea he’s promoting here, but she’s also increasingly controversial—and problematically known as the ‘go to’ philosopher for individuals with a siege mentality. Probably best to invoke the more palatable Friedan instead?

Depends. I love GENE and also love Rossiter's solo album. If you've listened to it and don't like it that's ok. If you haven't heard it I recommend it. Understated melodic brilliance in my exalted opinion.
I’ve just been listening to Drop Anchor, after your effusive post: what a great song.

I saw them in ‘94 and 2004. And several times in between. The 2004 gig was at Morrissey’s Meltdown where they endured an ignominious slot playing in the auditorium. It’s no surprise they folded weeks later.

I guess that I think he’s looking at material that, ultimately, isn’t ‘lovely’ but perhaps rather indicative/defensive of a hyper-subjective perspective.

Ayn Rand was perhaps the most famous advocate of the idea he’s promoting here, but she’s also increasingly controversial—and problematically known as the ‘go to’ philosopher for individuals with a siege mentality. Probably best to invoke the more palatable Friedan instead?

Morrissey was steeped in 2nd wave feminism & Betty is writing about the lesbian poet Edna St. Vincent Millay.

He's more likely to be asserting his right to exist as an artist, despite polite society (right now) saying he's toxic.

millay.jpg

Morrissey was steeped in 2nd wave feminism & Betty is writing about the lesbian poet Edna St. Vincent Millay.

He's more likely to be asserting his right to exist as an artist, despite polite society (right now) saying he's toxic.

View attachment 76735
I’m afraid I think he’s in a bunker, and searching for some metaphysical justification. Social media is a curse for Morrissey as every time he protests too much, he can share it with the world.

He needs to do a UK tour, as soon as possible.

Morrissey could take some time and write a philosophical book about the struggle someone faces to keep true to oneself, and to one's art, in a world that keeps pushing us all towards the precipice of assimilation and adaptation.

It would be quite an enterprise involving a lot of research. I guess it could be good for him though.

I'd buy it in a heartbeat.

His detractors would buy it as well.

I’m afraid I think he’s in a bunker, and searching for some metaphysical justification. Social media is a curse for Morrissey as every time he protests too much, he can share it with the world.

I can't see it. There's a huge leap from individuals who are different to objectivism.

I can't see it. There's a huge leap from individuals who are different to objectivism.
I can only say I’m seeing it increasingly. The worse it gets for him, the more he sees it as some validation of his artistic stance—and makes the according references.

Yes I agree, but his stance has always been there.
True. But I suppose I feel that’s accepted and that real vindication will come in the form of a project which people can experience and enjoy.

I know his back’s against the wall, but it needn’t be. If he is authentically engaged with the Outsider role he so readily adopts, then we could all enjoy his work tomorrow: an impromptu gig, a subversive record release, a showstopper duet with Rick Astley, on Friday, that makes the world take notice?

I think that it is quite a leap to connect Morrissey to Ayn Rand. I am by no means an expert on objectivism, but wouldn't it be difficult to reconcile with Morrissey's stance on animal rights and vegetarianism? And isn't Ayn Rand a bit too entry level for Morrissey?

I think that the person who suffers the most from Morrissey being himself is Morrissey himself. At the same time, he's managed to build an impressive oeuvre and, even if I don't like everything, it is admirable that he stayed true to himself and his own artistic vision.

I feel it’s more important to him
to do a project he enjoys, if others enjoy it also? that comes second or possibly third. Which is why fans question why he does what he does, they won’t win, and he, as always doesn’t seem to care. Oh these crazy artists! the real ones can’t be tamed.

Either enjoy what he offers or don’t, seems to have always been his position. He’s not a performing seal.

Also, will this world ever listen? And
how can they look into his eyes, and still they don’t believe him?

A true artist is born with a thorn in their side.
Fine. But don’t fall into the traps which undermine the very position you’re trying to advocate. Which is to say, if you don’t care what people think then simply stop caring rather than representing you’re not caring on the World Wide Web.

Ultimately, my worry is that one day his self-defeating behaviours might become fully effective. I don’t believe for one minute that Morrissey is committed to a life on the fringe. He’s a pop star.

I think that it is quite a leap to connect Morrissey to Ayn Rand. I am by no means an expert on objectivism, but wouldn't it be difficult to reconcile with Morrissey's stance on animal rights and vegetarianism? And isn't Ayn Rand a bit too entry level for Morrissey?

I think that the person who suffers the most from Morrissey being himself is Morrissey himself. At the same time, he's managed to build an impressive oeuvre and, even if I don't like everything, it is admirable that he stayed true to himself and his own artistic vision.
You can’t see any parallels between Morrissey and the figure of Howard Roark in The Fountainhead?

You can’t see any parallels between Morrissey and the figure of Howard Roark in The Fountainhead?

No! Howard wouldn't dump his best manager for eating frogs legs in front of him - Howard would be munching those frog's legs himself because no creature is more important than his building.

And he wouldn't idolise his writing partners & band the way Morrissey does.

And I can't imagine them casting a Gary Cooper type in an adaptation of Autobiography. 👀

No! Howard wouldn't dump his best manager for eating frogs legs in front of him - Howard would be munching those frog's legs himself because no creature is more important than his building.

And he wouldn't idolise his writing partners & band the way Morrissey does.

And I can't imagine them casting a Gary Cooper type in an adaptation of Autobiography. 👀

A Gary Cooper type, playing Morrissey, is something I’d like to see. I’d imagine Gary Cooper would’ve been a regular, at Morrissey’s old LA residence, back in the day.

True artists create for themselves first.

We all have to bend a little, but he’s always done it on his own terms.

He’s not the performing seal that
you and others seem to want him to be.

Is it not the complicity with the Romantic outsider trope, that supports Morrissey’s performative behaviours? I accept they can be endearing, but I wouldn’t want them to become the main event—like they have in a thousand other show-business tragedies.

Last edited by a moderator:

He would be wise to do a greatest hits tour. People don't want to hear Meat Is Murder, or Paris, or any of the too many covers that he's been doing.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom