Word: Weller or Morrissey?

G

goinghome

Join the slugging-match here! - http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/i-paul-weller-i-morrissey-but-which-ones-best

"I like Paul Weller. I like Morrissey. But which one's best?

There's only one way to find out, an in depth debate on The Word Blog. My iPod has been on shuffle for the last few days while I have been seemingly endlessly decorating and I have heard more Jam / Style Council / Weller and Smiths / Morrisey than anything else, yes even more than THEM. Anyway it struck me how despite being two very different characters just how similar their career paths have been, successful band followed by long solo career which have both split opinion. Also despite the huge offers it appears there is no chance of either reforming their original bands. Probably because I've inhaled too many paint fumes I thought I would throw it out to you good people for discussion. I think I favour Weller but only just."

Join the slugging-match here! - http://www.wordmagazine.co.uk/content/i-paul-weller-i-morrissey-but-which-ones-best

"I like Paul Weller. I like Morrissey. But which one's best?

There's only one way to find out, an in depth debate on The Word Blog. My iPod has been on shuffle for the last few days while I have been seemingly endlessly decorating and I have heard more Jam / Style Council / Weller and Smiths / Morrisey than anything else, yes even more than THEM. Anyway it struck me how despite being two very different characters just how similar their career paths have been, successful band followed by long solo career which have both split opinion. Also despite the huge offers it appears there is no chance of either reforming their original bands. Probably because I've inhaled too many paint fumes I thought I would throw it out to you good people for discussion. I think I favour Weller but only just."

I also like both they are both singers in two of my fave bands. Although, I would have to say I would back Morrissey, with out doubt
I like Weller but he is too hung up on the whole Mod thing and I find his solo stuff patchy and limited.
I also, find his blokey approach to life narrow, the fact he has only just gotten in Bowie in the last 4 years speaks volumes.
I do think Moz owes Weller a debt though, he defiantly got some ideas for the Smiths from the Jam (I would guess).

In a way I think Weller and Morrissey are quite like minded. Although, I would suggest Morrissey and Ray Davis are the most like minded- Of course Davis would back Weller in this debate- I expect.

I think the question is absurd. Weller is essentially a pamphleteer, and Jam and Style Council fan though I be, I do not consider him even remotely in the same class as Morrissey as a lyricist. In fact, I think his lyrics frequently require more than a little patience and tolerance in order to escape ridicule.

cheers

In a way I think Weller and Morrissey are quite like minded. Although, I would suggest Morrissey and Ray Davis are the most like minded- Of course Davis would back Weller in this debate- I expect.

I disagree. I see them as essentially contradictory spirits, and cannot imagine them getting along well.

cheers

I think the question is absurd. Weller is essentially a pamphleteer, and Jam and Style Council fan though I be, I do not consider him even remotely in the same class as Morrissey as a lyricist. In fact, I think his lyrics frequently require more than a little patience and tolerance in order to escape ridicule.

cheers

Hmm, I think Weller is more "meat and potato's" in his thinking and writing than Moz and not as poetic
But in The Jam he wrote some fantastic words.
Just listen to Down in The Tube Station At Midnight, Dreams of Children and Town Called malice for three.
Of course it's Morrisseys singing that really transports Morrissey to a different league.

I disagree. I see them as essentially contradictory spirits, and cannot imagine them getting along well.

cheers

They wouldn't get on but that just shows why they are alike, not that they are different- they both don't get along with many people.
I mean they are alike in terms of spirt not habits or day to day rituals.
As I say, I think Morrissey, out of all the pop people is most like Ray Davis- they also fell out- Ray seems to fall out with everyone as well.

This is the incorrect place for such a topic (I think) as I would be surprised if anyone on here backs Weller, what with it being a Morrissey fan site.

Last edited:
Oh, I don't know about that. Quite a few people on here seem to hate Morrissey with a passion.

Weller and Morrissey are important musicians/singers for each generation and they had made their history on world musical scene but Morrissey is better, IMO.

Morrissey. Big surprise.
Simply put ~ the voice. I just cannot even begin to imagine that anyone out there listens to any Weller song he's ever sung and really feels....transported. They might think good tune, nice chords, rockin' performance, interesting words, sometimes; but that voice is so relentlessly pedestrian and earth-bound.
I've never really understood Morrissey's occasional proffers of comradeship toward Weller over the years; proffers which have been repeatedly and ungraciously rebuffed by Weller. Oh well, that's lads for you. Or dads for you.

Morrissey's voice is otherworldly. Weller is handicapped by ordinariness; Morrissey was/is blessed with unholy good looks and one of the strangest, most beautiful voices we have ever heard. He transcends place, class, and time in a way that Weller never did.

We have Worm who is a polemic genius, so Morrissey wins! :D

Haha, you're too kind Kewpie. The ability to annoy the competition into total exhaustion isn't genius. :rolleyes:

I love Paul Weller's music but I have no doubt Morrissey is superior. The biggest difference between them is that Weller is a craftsman, almost a journeyman songwriter, and Morrissey's a guy who came out of nowhere and put things on vinyl no amount of "craft" or "preparation" or "methodology" could have produced. Morrissey has genius in the primary sense of the word, meaning he makes art as if he has a mysterious spirit whispering in his ear. Weller, on the other hand, fixed his music within the coordinates of a few existing traditions (soul/R & B and British bands like The Who and especially The Kinks) and labored and labored to put his stamp on it. Weren't The Jam called "the hardest working band in London" at one point? It showed, in good ways and bad.

I think the one symmetry between the two, their rise to fame with bands that subsequently exploded, is actually the most telling contrast: half of The Jam's catalog is forgettable, while the only less-than-stellar, unmemorable material The Smiths released was a couple of covers and instrumentals, all safely tucked away on B-sides.

Anyway, this is really a comparison of two great songwriters. There shouldn't be a slugging match involved, as there rightfully should be if Morrissey were pitted against the lipsticked cheese-dirigible in the hockey shirts.

Last edited:
^^ Worm is pretty damn smart.

What if I'd argued for Weller? :rolleyes:

You wouldn't have drawn the ridiculously apt conclusion that Morrissey was thrown into songwriting and mastered it while Weller labors over his craft and your conclusion wouldn't be damn smart. :p

Of course I think Morrissey is better than Weller. I heard some of Weller's work from the Jam and the Style Council, but I think PregnantForTheLastTime hit the nail on the head and his music seems pedestrian compared to Morrissey's.

Morrissey's voice is otherworldly. Weller is handicapped by ordinariness; Morrissey was/is blessed with unholy good looks and one of the strangest, most beautiful voices we have ever heard. He transcends place, class, and time in a way that Weller never did.

THIS :cool:

I disagree on one point,Weller was far better looking in his day.Now hes just orange,with daft hair

Back
Top Bottom