Without Music the World Dies (live) unofficial vieo

fast....

A bad recording and the first live airing, but it's not exactly brilliant, is it? Plus the usual guff of not trusting the government. And not "selling your children to schools"? (What does that even mean? Are schools by definition evil too?)

A bad recording and the first live airing, but it's not exactly brilliant, is it? Plus the usual guff of not trusting the government. And not "selling your children to schools"? (What does that even mean? Are schools by definition evil too?)
See "The Headmaster Ritual", 1985. Morrissey sees very little value in traditional school education.

I'm not that interested in the lyrics of this song (I much prefer the songs where Morrissey bears his heart, his soul, rather than clumsily tells us what to think) but as a catchy piece of music this is tremendous.

And without music the world would indeed die - so, fair enough.

Trying to decipher the lyrics, this is how far I've got, some gaps (?*****?) which I can't quite make out due to sound quality:

You don’t need to lead a formatted life
And you don’t need to find yet another wife
?*****? may very well fill your mind
Oh, but without music the world dies
Without music the world dies
Without music the whole world dies

You don’t need to respect your government
They can’t even govern themselves
You don’t need ?***** for coming high??
Ah, but without music the world dies

You don’t need 24-hour news
And you don’t need to send your children to school
And you don’t need to be a billionaire
(They’re everywhere, they’re everywhere, they’re everywhere)
Oh, but without music the world dies

You don’t need awards, awards, awards,
?*****? oh yes, but never earned, always bought
On your deathbed you will scream out this final reply
Oh, without music the world dies
The third line in the first verse sounds to me like 'Head-trips may very well spill your mind' and in the final verse the second line seems to start 'Shiny, oh yes,'.

Do we now have enough anti-Govt/police etc lyrics that someone could put out a themed CD of 12 songs. Could be the way to go...

From what we know form Moz’s school experience, independent thinking, creativity etc wasn’t encouraged or even allowed at times. “Another brick in the wall” and all that.

After being non-plussed at RebelsWithoutApplause, this new song brings to mind late period Smiths.

Have to say both tracks sound very different! Pop Dropped sounds almost...funky. And Without Music is not what I expected, reminds me of those first few Boz / Whyte era tracks. Like the twangy rockers from the Kill Uncle / Arsenal era

I just listened for the first time through:
-Upbeat with some interesting musical hooks
-A few catchy lyrics
-A few clumsy, inelegant attempts at being controversial

Yup. Sounds like something from modern-day Morrissey. At least it's upbeat.

Last edited:
Has anyone else had this song stuck in their heads for the past 2 days? It’s so catchy, especially the chorus.

Has anyone else had this song stuck in their heads for the past 2 days? It’s so catchy, especially the chorus.
Yes, totally! It's one of those weird things where he basically sings the same note 6 out of 7 times, in the title phrase, but somehow it gets lodged in your brain.

He's probably right on point re; not trusting ('respecting') the government. Just look at the recent debacle that was the 'Johnson period'. Partygate, compulsive lying to the public, & misleading parliament, et al. Btw, Moz is not advocating 'selling your children to school'.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom