Willie Hortons, Daisies and Devil Eyed Blair: political ads

Jolly Slugg

I was just watching Lyndon B. Johnson's Daisy attack ad from 1964 in its' fiftieth anniversary year. “One, two, three, four, five, seven, six, six, eight, nine...” (Seriously, that’s what she says!). Remember how Hillary Clinton's own attempt to use a little girl in an ad to scare people into voting for her in the 2008 primaries backfired when it turned out that the stock footage was eight years old and the little girl was now a teenager and supporter of Barack Obama?

There have been some very effective campaigns down the years, and the devil eyed Blair seemed dreadful at the time, but quite prescient nearly twenty years later.

The most famous one here, I would think, in the Tory "Labour Isn't Working" campaign from 1979. I've seen it used with regional variations across the world.

Na4jwHu.jpg

Of course the best ones work only when the electorate agree with the sentiment. If the electorate doesn't agree they are by definition failures.

I am dreading next years UK General Election. Although the Tories are increasingly likely to be returned it is going to be be an dreadfully negative campaign from all sides.

There have been some very effective campaigns down the years, and the devil eyed Blair seemed dreadful at the time, but quite prescient nearly twenty years later.

The most famous one here, I would think, in the Tory "Labour Isn't Working" campaign from 1979. I've seen it used with regional variations across the world.

Na4jwHu.jpg

Of course the best ones work only when the electorate agree with the sentiment. If the electorate doesn't agree they are by definition failures.

I am dreading next years UK General Election. Although the Tories are increasingly likely to be returned it is going to be be an dreadfully negative campaign from all sides.

That Blair ad was bang on, he's got to be up there among the worst (morally) politicians we've ever had.

I think next year's election will be a waste of time along with the campaign. Loads of negative bollocks spouted and loads of promises made that nobody has any intention of keeping followed by a load of wankers entering government, whoever wins. If Labour had anything about them they could get elected on the back of Michael Gove alone.

That Blair ad was bang on, he's got to be up there among the worst (morally) politicians we've ever had.

I think next year's election will be a waste of time along with the campaign. Loads of negative bollocks spouted and loads of promises made that nobody has any intention of keeping followed by a load of wankers entering government, whoever wins. If Labour had anything about them they could get elected on the back of Michael Gove alone.

Gove is a bogeyman because he is effective. The useless ministers tend not to get attacked.

He's effective in doing what he wants, unfortunately that and being positively effective don't go hand in hand.

He's bound to upset some people, and I can't remember the last Education Secretary, either Labour or Tory, the teaching unions didn't loathe.

Imagine how furious they will become if he asks why 20% of eleven year old are functionally illiterate when they start Secondary school.

He's bound to upset some people, and I can't remember the last Education Secretary, either Labour or Tory, the teaching unions didn't loathe.

Imagine how furious they will become if he asks why 20% of eleven year old are functionally illiterate when they start Secondary school.

Are they? One year all of our kids are doing too well so the exam results are too easy, the next they're all shite. I can't be doing with it. I do some work in schools and they seem to be doing ok to me. I'd advise that c*** Michael Gove to do the same, or at the very minimum listen to people who work in them.

If he wants to improve primary school literacy then he'll do well to pump a bit of money in instead of cutting money back and employ a few more classroom assistants. The levels of abilities that kids have is incredible but a bit of help in the classroom raises standards for everyone. Gove would know that if he knew his arse from his elbow.

Last edited:
Although the Tories are increasingly likely to be returned
Whatever gives you that idea.
After all the concerted personal attacks against Ed Miliband in the last couple of weeks.
Labour have a lead of 7 points.
Which means a Maj of 50-60 seats.
Don't believe what the media are saying.
Watch carefully how the Tories keep trying to change the agenda.
Personally I'm not sold on Ed Miliband.
But I'm a policy person and I've yet to see a Tory policy that's good for the average person.
They're all about transferring public money into private hands.
(I'm also not a Lib/Labour voter either)

Gove is a bogeyman because he is effective.
At what???
Upsetting people.
We want our kids to get a balanced education.
Not the short-sighted public schoolboy view of life and history.
Him and IDS the most inept ministers in the Govt..

Gove would know that if he knew his arse from his elbow.
After the row with May it's clear he doesn't.

I get sick of idiots who repeat any nonsense told them by this bunch of lying cheating two faced twats.
Want to debate Tory policys.
Go to a farm and fill you're mouth with cow shit.
Spit it out.
Then look at it.
Easy.

After the row with May it's clear he doesn't.

I get sick of idiots who repeat any nonsense told them by this bunch of lying cheating two faced twats.
Want to debate Tory policys.
Go to a farm and fill you're mouth with cow shit.
Spit it out.
Then look at it.
Easy.

Haha, I like your thinking!

Back
Top Bottom