William, It Was Really Nothing - is it really a song address to Billy Mackenzie?

Kewpie

Subscriber
Mike Joyce sat for BBC 6 Music's Marconi & Radcliffe show today.

He played "Lloyd, I'm Ready To Be Heartbroken", "William, It Was Really Nothing" and "Jackie Wilson Said" for tea time theme time slot.

He read an email from a listener in Philadelphia that today's theme was songs with English man's name.
However, Mike said that he might sound pedantic, but Billy Mackenzie was Scottish.

I heard that William referred to Billy Mackenzie, however, I haven't read any proof in print.

Did Morrissey actually say that the song was about Billy Mackenzie either tongue in cheek or serious manner?

Mike was taking the piss?

I hope someone could enlighten me.

You can listen the actual comment from iplayer around 2:40 (after Jackie Wilson Said).

Last edited:
It's nothing to do with Billy Mackenzie, that was just a rumour picked up on by the Press who wanted to fabricate a relationship between them. Inspiration for the song was most likely taken from Billy Liar.

It's nothing to do with Billy Mackenzie, that was just a rumour picked up on by the Press who wanted to fabricate a relationship between them. Inspiration for the song was most likely taken from Billy Liar.

Thank you very much Amy.

Yes, it does make sense that Morrissey got an inspiration from Billy Liar. :)

I very much doubt it has anything to do with Billy Mackenzie too. The lyrics do play out a kitchen sink drama very similar to that Morrissey favourite "The Leather Boys" i.e a romantic triangle between a married/marrying couple and a gay friend.

I very much doubt it has anything to do with Billy Mackenzie too. The lyrics do play out a kitchen sink drama very similar to that Morrissey favourite "The Leather Boys" i.e a romantic triangle between a married/marrying couple and a gay friend.

You mean like Johnny, Angie and Moz? :o

is there any credence to the rumour that revised editions of STSYL and Mozipedia are going to be released during the course of the year?

To add fuel to the fire, The Associates released a song entitled "Stephen, You're Really Something"

And that's what started the rumour mill grinding in the first place. I think Billy misread 'William...' as a reference to himself, when Moz hadn't meant it to be. Bit embarrassing that they couldn't spell his name properly.

"Oh Stephen, I resent your ascension". :squiffy:.

Last edited:
I had the idea the inspiration for "William" was taken from the film "Carry On Girls". The first few minutes or so of this movie seemed to me to parallel the lyrics.

IT was the soundtrack to my life 10 years ago. I binned the fat girl into touch though before she asked would you like to marry me.

I then moved into a house with 4 men. Which in no way was homo-erotic, not even the sh*tting in the bath incident

Back
Top Bottom