Will you still listen to Marilyn Manson despite the allegations?

It's a tough one, but it should be said that even when 'crossing the line' in to abhorrent topics, there's still people prepared to listen & buy.
People are buying and selling Lostprophets' music (even on Amazon).
Gary Glitter is routinely played at US sporting events (and not always instrumental versions).
Pete Townshend's 5 year stint on the Sex Offender's Register appears forgiven...
Until Manson's day in court, it's all conjecture and people are still listening to him despite the 'anti' rhetoric on socials - he will probably end up as a Depp-like character rather than ostracised forever.
After court, it will be the fans that decide if any behaviour was too egregious to continue spending or whether to listen again - yet, as highlighted above, even a group fronted by a man who attempted to rape a baby and is serving 29 years still sells (albeit back catalogue).
Given that example, I can't see a mass burning of his work even after any potential conviction / successful lawsuit suing him.
Regards,
FWD.

I can’t say I’m well acquainted with any LP songs but Glitter himself still makes it onto U.K. radio and in pubs in the month of December. TV music channels may not be graced by his presence but, I’m sure he makes it through the back door as part of the Jive Bunny mix.

I could never stand this clown to begin with so it’s no skin off my dick.

I only know a couple of his 90s hits but I wouldn't not listen to them if they were on.

It's only the Marquis de Sade that I completely despise. And that's because of his books.

I only know a couple of his 90s hits but I wouldn't not listen to them if they were on.

It's only the Marquis de Sade that I completely despise. And that's because of his books.
The Marquis de Sade was dark satire. Nevertheless, 120 Days of Sodom is like wading through treacle—but it’s ultimately no ‘worse’ than the film. It’s failures are in style, not content.

I wouldn’t listen to Manson simply because I don’t enjoy the music. But I watched an interview with him years ago, for some reason, and he seemed genuinely interesting.

Some have described Charles Hawtrey (who I’m very fond of) as debauched and exploitative, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

The general idea of separating art from artist makes about as much sense as teasing apart night from day: one is meaningless without the acknowledgement of the other. It’s a strange social expectation that we are now increasingly expected to partake in this cultural nihilism.

I’d like to see the tables turned, and it’s advocates made to explain the logic of separating art from artist: less because it can’t be done and more because it would mean acknowledging the weird metaphysics increasingly at work in Westernised societies.

We’re in denial of everything, even our own selfhood: philosophy is littered with cautions about this state of mind.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Marquis de Sade was dark satire. Nevertheless, 120 Days of Sodom is like wading through treacle—but it’s ultimately no ‘worse’ than the film. It’s failures are in style, not content.

I wouldn’t listen to Manson simply because I don’t enjoy the music. But I watched an interview with him years ago, for some reason, and he seemed genuinely interesting.

Some have described Charles Hawtrey (who I’m very fond of) as debauched and exploitative, and I wouldn’t want it any other way.

The general idea of separating art from artist makes about as much sense as teasing apart night from day: one is meaningless without the acknowledgement of the other. It’s a strange social expectation that we are now increasingly expected to partake in this cultural nihilism.

I’d like to see the tables turned, and it’s advocates made to explain the logic of separating art from artist: less because it can’t be done and more because it would mean acknowledging the weird metaphysics increasingly at work in Westernised societies.

We’re in denial of everything, even our own selfhood: philosophy it littered with cautions about this state of mind.

It was disgusting!!!

Agree, plus it's all very random - some artists do & say terrible things & no one cares.

I’ll probably still listen at this point. I haven’t heard anything that bad yet

I’ll probably still listen at this point. I haven’t heard anything that bad yet

Then you haven’t heard his music yet.

I haven't listened to him regularly for a long time but I really liked his 90's trilogy "Antichrist Superstar," "Mechanical Animals," and "Holy Wood."
I believe the accusers and I'm disappointed because the rape and abuse they talk about goes against my perception of what he was about. Others will probably find it on-brand or just won't care.
I don't plan on torching the music I already own but whenever he put out a new record for the past ten years or so I have always checked it out on youtube and haven't found one I really wanted to buy for a long time. So I doubt I'll ever buy another one of his records and it does kind of ruin the experience of listening to his music at least for now. But nothing has really changed because I wasn't listening to it much anyway. It had probably been a year since I had.

I don't have a problem with people being cancelled but this is one of the ones that feels like a loss despite not following his music too closely for quite a while. I liked Kevin Spacey too but can't watch any of his work without seeing it a different way. Usually I don't think of it as a loss but I actually was a fan of Marilyn Manson's work for a few years and I also thought he said interesting things in interviews.

Everyone tells me Morrissey has been cancelled, but I think this situation with Marilyn Manson really puts things into perspective.
Yes, it's different. A site I visit has celebrity birthdays posted every day and the other day when Morrissey was on the list a lot of people were posting Smiths songs but saying "too bad Morrissey is a racist." It did seem to be the general opinion and no one challenged it. It also seemed that it's okay to like "Johnny Marr's old band," but not Morrissey's solo work, which was ignored.
When the "racist" comments started a couple of people posted things like "just googled. So disappointing." So I do think that perception is pretty strong and I don't think that most people bother to look at the comments he's made and try to really sort it out. He's certainly made some comments that could give that impression but I don't think he's actually "a racist." He's xenophobic and sometimes seems to speak carelessly or even speak intentionally to create an effect.
I think the "Chinese/subspecies" comment is an example of intentionally saying something he knew would be offensive in order to draw attention to an issue he is concerned about. But you can't really expect the average person to sit down and work through every comment. It's much easier to hear "racist," see a few iffy comments and accept that as the truth.
But it's much different than actually being accused of illegal and immoral crimes with real victims. He could just shut up for a while and put out some good music and some of it would go away. Marilyn Manson is never going to be mentioned again without allegations of rape, violence and sexual abuse being part of the story.
One really strange thing about Marilyn Manson's case, and partially the reason I believe it, is because there are fans that would allow themselves to be abused. He probably has done that, too. But he wanted victims that have a certain amount of status and he wanted them to be unwilling. Some fan that would accept his abuse wasn't doing it for him anymore. Maybe he had evolved into that when his old habits weren't doing it for him anymore or maybe he always had some disorder where he needed that.
Everyone mentioned cocaine and maybe that's a big part of it. It's one of the drugs that can "mimic psychosis" when abused past a certain point. But whatever the case he could have done anything he wanted with willing participants and instead he needed unwilling victims. It rings true.

Did people stop listening to Usher after he knowingly gave like 37 different people the grossest gift that keeps on giving, aka a lifelong infection of his gross HERPS?

i feel like his name has been around less since then. Is my impression accurate? I don't think they full-on ever cancelled him though, did they?

i mean, they SHOULD have. Someone should have knocked that gross guy’s teeth out. Same with pastey-faced weak-jawed Manson though.

The thing is Boy George also stapled that naked guy to his wall for like a week straight after the person was like crying and didnt want to be there anymore, and everyone seemed to think that was all fine within about 2 seconds flat

I haven't listened to him regularly for a long time but I really liked his 90's trilogy "Antichrist Superstar," "Mechanical Animals," and "Holy Wood."
I believe the accusers and I'm disappointed because the rape and abuse they talk about goes against my perception of what he was about. Others will probably find it on-brand or just won't care.
I don't plan on torching the music I already own but whenever he put out a new record for the past ten years or so I have always checked it out on youtube and haven't found one I really wanted to buy for a long time. So I doubt I'll ever buy another one of his records and it does kind of ruin the experience of listening to his music at least for now. But nothing has really changed because I wasn't listening to it much anyway. It had probably been a year since I had.

I don't have a problem with people being cancelled but this is one of the ones that feels like a loss despite not following his music too closely for quite a while. I liked Kevin Spacey too but can't watch any of his work without seeing it a different way. Usually I don't think of it as a loss but I actually was a fan of Marilyn Manson's work for a few years and I also thought he said interesting things in interviews.
you sound like such a menopausal woman lol

The thing is Boy George also stapled that naked guy to his wall for like a week straight after the person was like crying and didnt want to be there anymore, and everyone seemed to think that was all fine within about 2 seconds flat
That person was messing with Boy George's laptop while he was high af on cocaine. "Play stupid games, win stupid prizes."

Did people stop listening to Usher after he knowingly gave like 37 different people the grossest gift that keeps on giving, aka a lifelong infection of his gross HERPS?

i feel like his name has been around less since then. Is my impression accurate? I don't think they full-on ever cancelled him though, did they?

i mean, they SHOULD have. Someone should have knocked that gross guy’s teeth out. Same with pastey-faced weak-jawed Manson though.
If it was possible for me to listen to Usher less I would.

Back
Top Bottom