will people in the uk please stop saying "absolutely"

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
talk show guests, phone in shows, so called experts please answer a question without starting with the word "absolutely" its driving me mad, its modern thickness like sports stars saying "you know" please please stop.

had to bring it up again- the infestestion seems to have got worse!

talk show guests, phone in shows, so called experts please answer a question without starting with the word "absolutely" its driving me mad, its modern thickness like sports stars saying "you know" please please stop.

Only if the Americans stop saying "awesome" and "totally" and "super"

AND "have a nice day now":thumb:

I'll nominate "literally" also. I think people that misuse it should literally face the firing squad. I get so mad steam literally comes out of my ears.

Only if you lot start spelling colour correctly!

I never noticed that UK people say "absolutely" a lot. Generally, I'm enchanted by their speech patterns with the rare exceptions including:
- using the hard a sound in pasta, mall, etc.
- using the hard a sound in Barack AND putting the emphasis incorrectly on the second syllable.

But hey, they invented the language, they can do what they like with it.

Have you noticed the American media has adopted the cringe-worthy term "baby bump" (for a pregnant woman who is showing)? Awful. If we want to borrow from the Brits, it should be the aethestically pleasing British spellings.

"Absolutely" doesn't bother me as much as those space cadets in Berks. who use "sort of" in front of every third word. :mad:

I never noticed that UK people say "absolutely" a lot. Generally, I'm enchanted by their speech patterns with the rare exceptions including:
- using the hard a sound in pasta, mall, etc.
- using the hard a sound in Barack AND putting the emphasis incorrectly on the second syllable.

But hey, they invented the language, they can do what they like with it.

Have you noticed the American media has adopted the cringe-worthy term "baby bump" (for a pregnant woman who is showing)? Awful. If we want to borrow from the Brits, it should be the aethestically pleasing British spellings.

I think most people pronounce Barack the same way as the Americans. I've only heard it pronounced one way I think but I haven't heard a lot of British people say his name. I know I say it the American way cuz that's the first way I heard it.

It's like the word 'leverage' I heard that word first by Americans on TV programmes and it wasn't until I used it in a sentence and was told my sister it's leeeeeeeeeeeeverage not leverage.

After hearing Stephen Fry pronounce mandatory like man-DAY-tor-ee, I'm dying to use it in conversation but I dare not. I also wish the word "whilst" was in common usage in the U.S.

Maybe BBC reporters/news readers speak differently than the populace at large. I hope so anyway.

Or maybe shopping mall is pronounced maul, whilst The Mall in London is pronounced like a cat chewing on a thistle, I mean with the hard a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mall,_London

Maybe BBC reporters/news readers speak differently than the populace at large. I hope so anyway.

Or maybe shopping mall is pronounced maul, whilst The Mall in London is pronounced like a cat chewing on a thistle, I mean with the hard a.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Mall,_London
Yeah The Mall is hard, I didn't think of that.
(But then it has to be, because it got it's name from mallets or something, because they used to play a game there, or some such.)

It would be quite funny if someone said "The Maul", suggesting it's London's leading shopping precinct. (I don't think it has any shops.)

"Absolutely" doesn't bother me as much as those space cadets in Berks. who use "sort of" in front of every third word. :mad:

My dad does this constantly. It's very annoying. Although I do overuse 'like' and 'um' a lot in my everyday speech, because I tend to get a bit nervous and stammery in conversation with people I don't know very well.

"I turned round and said..." always makes me laugh.We had a neighbour who said it all the time."I turned round and said blah de blah,then she turned round and said..."
My dad called her the whirling dervish

Tags
absolutely
Back
Top Bottom