Will Mozza ever get outstaning contribution to music award

smithsman

On reading David Bowie getting best British male award at the Brits it got me thinking why Morrissey has never been honoured.

When you look at the likes of Pet shop boys, Oasis and Paul Weller being past winners you wonder why Morrissey has been overlooked.

Is it going to take a reforming of The Smiths to get his rightful place in British music fame or is it just he is not liked by the powers that be or they see him as being too outspoken.

If its the latter then these people should hang their heads in shame as this man deserves to be recognised for 30 years contribution to music.

Re:

I find it's weird that some people ask this kind of questions.

Some people complain that Smiths haven't been inducted to Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame etc.

I don't care these things because one of the characteristics of The Smiths and Morrissey is that they are AGAINST the establishment.

Smiths and Morrissey's music belongs to us ie individual listeners, not the establishment.

Last edited:
Re:

I wouldn’t say “against the establishment” The Smiths and Morrissey aren’t as hard core about that as the Sex Pistols were. Morrissey feels unappreciated and wants to be awarded but it’s not likely to happen in his lifetime. This may sound weird but part of Morrissey’s mystique is that he won’t be fully recognized for his contribution to music until after he is gone and then tributes will flood in and paid to him everywhere and the ones who only heard of his name but not familiar with his music will be reintroduced to him. In the end, he’ll finally get the recognition and appreciation he so wanted in life.

That's just my theory.

Last edited:
Re:

Morrissey will never win a BRIT because he has been openly hostile towards the BRITs and has an extremely contrary personality.

He isn't an easy person to like.

Re:

I find it's weird that some people ask this kind of questions.

Some people complain that Smiths haven't been inducted to Rock'n'Roll Hall of Fame etc.

I don't care these things because one of the characteristics of The Smiths and Morrissey is that they are AGAINST the establishment.

Smiths and Morrissey's music belongs to us ie individual listeners, not the establishment.

I don't find it weird at all to ask the question.

I as a Smiths\Morrissey fan for the whole of their journey would like to see Morrissey recognised for his achievements.
His autobiography is full of chart positions for singles and albums and how they should always have got higher in the charts.
That does not sound like a man who did not want recognised
The music papers and bbc radio like to recognise their albums when they reach milestones have endless Smiths\Morrissey special editions but will not recognise the man for his work

Re:

I as a Smiths\Morrissey fan for the whole of their journey would like to see Morrissey recognised for his achievements.
His autobiography is full of chart positions for singles and albums and how they should always have got higher in the charts.
The music papers and bbc radio like to recognise their albums when they reach milestones have endless Smiths\Morrissey special editions but will not recognise the man for his work

I know, Kewpie really needs to chill. :rolleyes:

Re:

The music papers and bbc radio like to recognise their albums when they reach milestones have endless Smiths / Morrissey special editions but will not recognise the man for his work

The confusing fact is, Morrissey often got panicked when he was getting what he wanted, then he could not face it, disappeared and ruined it by himself.

He has really strange psychology to back down when it was happening.
Perhaps it was his own way to keep his sanity.

Re:

The confusing fact is, Morrissey often got panicked when he was getting what he wanted, then he could not face it, disappeared and ruined it by himself.

He has really strange psychology to back down when it was happening.
Perhaps it was his own way to keep his sanity.

He wants it if he didn’t have to deal with people to get it.

Re:

He wants it if he didn’t have to deal with people to get it.

It is impossible to achieve it without other people's help.

He has some ideas for vocal melody, however, too lazy to learn to compose music and play instruments.

Re:

It is impossible to achieve it without other people's help.

He has some ideas for vocal melody, however, too lazy to learn to compose music and play instruments.

His voice is his instrument. Not everyone can sing. There are many vocalists praised and awarded for their singing ability who don’t play instruments. Are they lazy too?

Re:

His voice is his instrument. Not everyone can sing. There are many vocalists praised and awarded for their singing ability who don’t play instruments. Are they lazy too?

Sadly he is not like Bob Dylan and John Lennon.
They can play instruments and write their own music.

Morrissey has a potential to achieve Elvis-like success, but he does not want to be manipulated by a Colonel Parker figure.

Re:

Morrissey has a potential to achieve Elvis-like success, but he does not want to be manipulated by a Colonel Parker figure.

Well, I don’t know where you’ve been for the last 30 years but I think he’s achieved greatness in his lifetime. No, he’s not Bob Dylan or John Lennon or Elvis. He’s MORRISSEY and he’s special. I would put him more in the category of Frank Sinatra. Each one of those artists contributed to music in their own way and so did Morrissey.

Oh and to be honest, not everybody likes Bob Dylan, John Lennon or Elvis.

Re:

John Lennon plays instruments and writes his own music?

I know he said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.....

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note I would say Morrissey is often indirectly compared to Bob Dylan on the lyrical content of their songwriting.

Re:

Well, I don’t know where you’ve been for the last 30 years but I think he’s achieved greatness in his lifetime. No, he’s not Bob Dylan or John Lennon or Elvis. He’s MORRISSEY and he’s special. I would put him more in the category of Frank Sinatra. Each one of those artists contributed to music in their own way and so did Morrissey.

Did you read smithsman's post?

I never said he hadn't achieved greatness.

However, in reality not many people know who he is.

Last edited:
Re:

John Lennon plays instruments and writes his own music?

I know he said the Beatles were bigger than Jesus.....

- - - Updated - - -

On a serious note I would say Morrissey is often indirectly compared to Bob Dylan on the lyrical content of their songwriting.

Well he doesn’t anymore.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you read smithsman's post?

I never said he hadn't achieved greatness.

However, in reality not many people know who he is.

Yes,I did. Did you?
You said he “has potential achieve". Same thing.

Last edited:
Re:

I'm also aware of Dylan comparison.
However, in this instance I simply highlight the fact that Morrissey does not play strings related instruments (guitars and similar ones) both recordings and live.

Re:

I'm also aware of Dylan comparison.
However, in this instance I simply highlight the fact that Morrissey does not play strings related instruments (guitars and similar ones) both recordings and live.

He plays the piano. Just chooses to have someone else do it so he can stand at the mic looking good.

Last edited:
Re:

He plays the piano. Just chooses to have someone else do it so he can stand at the mike looking good.

Only few songs Morrissey has been credited as piano which happened more than 25 years ago.

Mike? It's mic, an abbreviation of microphone.

I really don't like people like you who blindly worship him.

I'm going to bed now.

Last edited:
Re:

Morrissey has a Colonel Parker somewhere in his circle. Have you seen his merch table lately? :straightface: His punk idols would sooner have tea with the queen than offer seventeen different versions of their face on a shirt to the slobbering fans. I suspect there's a number cruncher telling him to do that.

Back
Top Bottom