Will Johnny Marr's 'Call the Comet' outsell Morrissey's 'Low in High School?'

How many copies do you think Call the Comet will shift in week 1 (UK)?

• Total voters
WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

those have to be the suckiest lyrics in the history of songs!!!!!!

LIHS LAUGHS at the COMET LOL:clap:

I mean, there were those on this site who liked the "spoken word" videos for Whirled Piss. That alone should highlight how delusional some people are.
Quite. Nice pic, G23. That's got me curious: was The Young Ones shown in the US? I can't imagine it translating that well!

You could say the same about Johnny Marr. It's beyond me how anyone can describe New Dominions as a great song. Also, Call The Comet might be quite good but it isn't nearly as great and fantastic as the reviews suggest.
Well, I agree there. I tried listening on Spotify and while it's got some nice moments I really don't think it's that great. And I'm sure he's got some die-hard fans who won't hear a bad word about him but I don't think you can seriously compare the level of Morrissey's fan worship (and its deluded component) with Marr's.

Quite. Nice pic, G23. That's got me curious: was The Young Ones shown in the US? I can't imagine it translating that well!
It was, and it did. It was surprisingly popular, too. It aired on MTV at 1130 on Sunday nights, if I remember right.

"Rise"

Now here they come
It's dawn of the dogs
They hound, they howl
Never let up
The fear is on
Call in all gods
Here they come everybody
Read or not

Got the fire if you feel it
And the heat turns on
Got the lighter, we fuse it
The day has come
Got the fate, can you feel it
Call in all gods
Here they come everybody
Ready or not

Fires are looming
Now look what they did
I see something
Do you see it?
Times won't change it
It ain't that easy
I sing in an arena
While you say yeah
Decide can you feel it
Your flames got a lid
I'll sing the [?]
While you sing yeah
You're the truth, you're the truth
You and I know
Destiny is rising

Got a prayer if we feel it
It says the day has come
Got a spirit if we need it
Get ready to run
It's the dawn of the dogs
Yeah it's an attack
Here they come everbody
Here come the pack

Words and Illusions
Now hear what they say
I'm feeling something
Can you feel it
Time won't change it
It ain't so easy
Rise to forever
Your friends got lit
Here I go
Destiny is rising

(Ahhh) Now we gotta live [x3]

The fires are looming
'Cuz look what they've done
I feel something
Do you feel it burn
Time won't change it
It ain't so easy
This light, can you feel it?
You first got lit
Signs and illusions
Now look what they did
I see something
Do you see it?
You and I both know
Destiny, we're rising

God, I love this song too! It was totally amazing live, played a bit faster than on the record with some really impassioned vocals.

I don't know how many copies it will sell, but after a few listens, it seems he's made a pretty good Johnny Marr album, and a so-so Love and Rockets album.

We were the first people on our street to have a video and I'd tape the Young Ones and have half the kids on the street coming round to watch it. We were the first to have a phone too, and people used to come round to use that. Seems a lifetime ago. It was a big thing to go to the video shop and buy a film (usually a horror), and we'd all sit there with our faces behind cushions. My mum was a bit liberal, and she let the other kids do things their parents wouldn't approve of. It was at the time of the Yorkshire Ripper and somehow she half persuaded my friend peter that she may have had something to do with the murders, everyone talked about the Yorkshire Ripper. As we approached adolescence he was more interested in my Mum's boobs and would invent any reason to come round and surreptitiously ogle them.

It may be critically better received, but that won't necessarily translate to better sales. Morrissey could record himself taking a shit and charge £35 for the privilege of hearing it, and there would still be fans who would swear it's the best thing he's ever done. This level of loopy devotion is bound to skew the figures.

The idea that Morrissey has a devoted fan base that will buy anything he puts out regardless of reviews, lead single etc. simply ain't true. His UK album sales vary from half a million to just 30,000. People are very wary of buying his stuff.
Yes, critical acclaim often doesn't translate to better sales. But Marr's single 'Hello Hi' has had good radio support - nearly (but not quite) as good as Spent the Day in Bed - and that makes a huge difference.
My guess is he'll sell 10,000 to 15,000 in first week so a fair bit below LIHS but it may actually chart higher depending on what else is out.

Yes, it will outsell Low in High School - but only because Vegan.cro is buying 30,000 copies to burn in a giant sacrificial bonfire.

Yes, it will outsell Low in High School - but only because Vegan.cro is buying 30,000 copies to burn in a giant sacrificial bonfire.

I guess that's why the vinyl is sold out on Johnny's website, amazon and amoeba - the next pressing won't ship until July. My friend's birthday present will be late.

Johnny has something that no amount of sales could ever touch. Integrity, and I would imagine untroubled sleep. He's carved out his place,
people think highly of him, and if he were out jogging and got hit by a truck tomorrow, he would be laid to rest with nothing but respect and admiration.
Good life, that.

The idea that Morrissey has a devoted fan base that will buy anything he puts out regardless of reviews, lead single etc. simply ain't true. His UK album sales vary from half a million to just 30,000. People are very wary of buying his stuff.
Yes, critical acclaim often doesn't translate to better sales. But Marr's single 'Hello Hi' has had good radio support - nearly (but not quite) as good as Spent the Day in Bed - and that makes a huge difference.
My guess is he'll sell 10,000 to 15,000 in first week so a fair bit below LIHS but it may actually chart higher depending on what else is out.

Me again - same anon.
The figures are out. Comet has sold nearly 6,600 and is number 5.
I expect it will prob just about do over 10,000 (as predicted above) but not much more, and will slide down the chart but stay in the top 10. There's a chance it could hang on to number 5 despite selling half as many as LIHS. Shows the importance of sales over chart positions.

Me again - same anon.
The figures are out. Comet has sold nearly 6,600 and is number 5.
I expect it will prob just about do over 10,000 (as predicted above) but not much more, and will slide down the chart but stay in the top 10. There's a chance it could hang on to number 5 despite selling half as many as LIHS. Shows the importance of sales over chart positions.

6600?:leftmagnify: WTF!
LESS THAN HALF AS LIHS!!!

MOZ wings AGAIN!!!!!!

I know who is to blame for this catastrophe!!! :
TOMMY ROBINSON!!!:swear:swear

How is this possible with all the former loyal Moz fans switching over to:frogface:, all the good reviews going
to:frogface:, all the indie dorks buying:frogface:?

WHERE DID all go WRONG?? LOL:rofl:

Johnny’s new album will be much better reviewed because he is less ‘controversial’ then Moz. Doesn’t mean it’s actually better, just means the happy clappy critics in a nutshell, are clueless tossers.

Johnny’s new album will be much better reviewed because he is less ‘controversial’ then Moz. Doesn’t mean it’s actually better, just means the happy clappy critics in a nutshell, are clueless tossers.

Correct.:thumb:

Musically it's miles ahead. Lyrically, it's neck and neck with LIHS.

Back
Top Bottom