Why you need to start dressing like Johnny Marr -apparently

It's a bit YMCA, though, isn't it? I always found that photo/outfit curious. If he turned up at King's Road looking like that, no wonder Moz thought his prayers had been answered.
had that style always been thought of as gay though or was it just designated that way after the fact? presumably this was a new style at the time, and if a new style comes out and you like it you don't think "will this make me look gay" because, being that it's new, you wouldn't have any gay reference points for it. I don't know, I think it's a great look.

had that style always been thought of as gay though or was it just designated that way after the fact? presumably this was a new style at the time, and if a new style comes out and you like it you don't think "will this make me look gay" because, being that it's new, you wouldn't have any gay reference points for it. I don't know, I think it's a great look.
Well, this was 1978:
maxresdefault.jpg

I am slightly joking, of course. But the angle of Johnny's hat is, shall we say, 'jaunty'... I agree, it's a great look, but I do find it a bit... er... 'gender question mark'. But he was very young, and I suspect that's not what he intended.

Well, this was 1978:
maxresdefault.jpg

I am slightly joking, of course. But the angle of Johnny's hat is, shall we say, 'jaunty'... I agree, it's a great look, but I do find it a bit... er... 'gender question mark'. But he was very young, and I suspect that's not what he intended.
oh, didn't realize the village people were from the 70s. anyway, since all of those getups represent an occupation, what exactly is the leather clad guy? what does he do?

He's just a gay biker! Actually, I don't know when that image was first appropriated but I suspect it started with this, and then got camped up:
motorfig1.jpg

EDITED TO SAY: Perhaps this is more what Johnny had in mind, rather than the Village People :lbf:

He became teetotal in about 2000 and quit smoking a couple of years later, I think. I remember reading that it took him 4 or 5 attempts to quit fully and he said it was "tortuous".
That's great. I'm sure it was very difficult, but I know he feels better! Thanks! :)

It's a bit YMCA, though, isn't it? I always found that photo/outfit curious. If he turned up at King's Road looking like that, no wonder Moz thought his prayers had been answered.

Of course it is. How else to make someone like Mozzer fall in love with you?

Quite, and that was before he even demonstrated his guitar abilities. Double whammy for Moz.:cool:

I wonder did Johnny have any idea what a gay vibe he was sending out? Or just not care :o
Exactly my point. From reading his book, it seems he was very 'style literate' from a young age, so I find it hard to believe he had no idea. But like I was saying further up the thread, maybe in his head it looked more Marlon Brando than Village People :lbf: Or could it be he was also flirting with a bit of fluidity himself??

Exactly my point. From reading his book, it seems he was very 'style literate' from a young age, so I find it hard to believe he had no idea. But like I was saying further up the thread, maybe in his head it looked more Marlon Brando than Village People :lbf: Or could it be he was also flirting with a bit of fluidity himself??
no, he def looks more like the village people than marlon brando.

Tormenting his raft of gay friends, maybe.

You need to give me your mothers phone number, so I can give her a child that she can be proud of.

Sure. Then you can add necrophiliac to the list of all your other positive traits.

Back
Top Bottom