Why you need to start dressing like Johnny Marr -apparently

Sorry, I messed up the quote, see below!

I think this was probably an understandable reaction by a 23-year old guy who'd spent the last five years with everyone thinking he was gay and he wasn't..

Perhaps, but Johnny played his own part in that, didn't he? He cultivated a very feminine image and liked jewellery, blouses, makeup and beehives etc of his own accord - Morrissey wasn't pushing him into it. Perhaps he did feel he had to shake it off once Bernard came on the scene, but it was still part of him - and judging by the hair and fashion choices these days, he's very much gone back to it.

Johnny Marr was never "a lad", he just acted up to it occasionally to impress a certain crowd and get up Morrissey's nose - cf. Dorrissey.

Hopefully yours. Then we’ll be at the halfway mark of you never posting here again...

My, what a Grumpy Gus! Here, I'll make you some tea and we can discuss why gay men offend you so much, yet here you are on a Morrissey forum!

I think I'll just dress like myself. It's worked out well for me so far.

My, what a Grumpy Gus! Here, I'll make you some tea and we can discuss why gay men offend you so much, yet here you are on a Morrissey forum!

I don’t recall saying I was offended. I recall saying you had shitty taste. You may have been aware of that if you weren’t so busy being a passive aggressive twat.

I think I'll just dress like myself. It's worked out well for me so far.
But Jehne says only cool people wear jeans with holes in them and it is so important to be cool especially if you live way out in nowhere where clothes are just in the way cause it always so god damn hot (unlike those that actually live there).

Watch the film Robby mentioned, it is set in Portland, Oregon.

Your post confused me until I realized you must exist in an alternate universe where Johnny Marr became a hermit after the Smiths instead of having an outstanding, long and prolific career like he did in my universe. This forum must be the only place where our universes intersect. Live long and prosper, friend.
No one will ever make me believe Marr made any music of worth after The Smiths and claiming that is lunacy so I need to call a white ambulance to come and pick you up.

Enjoy the meds!

I guess his clobber could work for me as well but I prefer to wear only eatable underwear.

Johnny, aged 18, a few months before he met Moz. What an outfit!

tumblr_og401utF6e1ucpl6oo1_500.png

I don’t recall saying I was offended. I recall saying you had shitty taste. You may have been aware of that if you weren’t so busy being a passive aggressive twat.

You question my taste because you thought I was interested in you? Oh dear, this is going nowhere!

Perhaps, but Johnny played his own part in that, didn't he? He cultivated a very feminine image and liked jewellery, blouses, makeup and beehives etc of his own accord - Morrissey wasn't pushing him into it. Perhaps he did feel he had to shake it off once Bernard came on the scene, but it was still part of him - and judging by the hair and fashion choices these days, he's very much gone back to it.

Johnny Marr was never "a lad", he just acted up to it occasionally to impress a certain crowd and get up Morrissey's nose - cf. Dorrissey.

You bring up an interesting point about Johnny that was elaborated on in one of the Smiths books. He's a guy with many interests, but a strong personality at his core - what he does and what makes him a great collaborator is that he senses what his partner is interested in and then pushes those particular interests to the fore. With Morrissey it was girl groups, pop culture, TOTP, sensationalism. With Bernard it was synthesizers and dance music & culture. With The The, it was serious social themes, rock'n'roll. With Modest Mouse it was musical exploration, Americana. And so on and so on.

Even in his solo albums, he takes on different styles and personality. His latest being dark, melodic post-punk. You can see why a guy like that wouldn't be happy in just the Smiths when there is the whole palette of musical styles he wants to explore.

Johnny, aged 18, a few months before he met Moz. What an outfit!

tumblr_og401utF6e1ucpl6oo1_500.png
It's a bit YMCA, though, isn't it? I always found that photo/outfit curious. If he turned up at King's Road looking like that, no wonder Moz thought his prayers had been answered.

Back
Top Bottom