Why so many negative references to fat people when he is not thin?

A

Anonymous

I realize this thread will make some "devoted" fans upset but I'm genuinely wondering. There are a lot of negative references to fat people in different songs and his book but he has been fat for a very long time. Also, he has a very fat band member. I admit I don't like fat people because ime they can't control themselves in different areas of their life just like their eating behavior. I'm not proud of my opinion. However, I stay thin because I don't like fat. I don't understand him because it seems hypocritical. Also, it's not harder to be thin as people get older. It's a myth that the metabolism slows. If a person pushes themselves very hard with exercise and counts calories they will be thin unless they have a medical problem. Why is he prejudiced in this way against others but not himself?

I was wondering about this myself earlier today, after the reference to 'fat Aunt Mabel' came up in 'Art-hounds'. Maybe he's projecting negative thoughts about his own, increasingly rotund, figure?

The number of fattist lyrics and references in his autobiography has gotten to the point where it's no longer something that can be easily dismissed. He does keep harping on about fatties a lot. It's obviously something that bothers him.

Yes, and the references go all the way back to the early Smiths songs. For ex, "William it was really nothing." But he let himself go, and he still does it. Confused.

Why is he prejudiced in this way against others but not himself?

I'm guessing you haven't read 'Autobiography,' then? He refers to himself as "fat" in a disparaging, critical manner multiple times.

I'm not even going to touch the rest of your comment…

I was actually shocked at how thin he looked when the shirt came off in Boston. He's a lot thinner in person than he is in photographs.

I'm guessing you haven't read 'Autobiography,' then? He refers to himself as "fat" in a disparaging, critical manner multiple times.

He does refer to himself as fat many times, and seemed upset that he was very thin until his late 30s, when he said he discovered pizza and pasta. There's a fair amount of self loathing involved here, but I think for someone who was painfully thin in his 20s, he's still upset he doesn't look like that anymore.

Because it's natural for the U.S. to have so much obesity? Is that why you don't want to "touch the rest of the comment?" Not too far back in history, people were much, much thinner even into old age.

No, I didn't read Autobiography, and the reason I asked was so I could receive an answer like yours. I'm not going to read the book even though so many here consider it their bible.

He's a big old fatty bumbum now, isn't he? :(

I still think he's sexy but I was just wondering why he had that hypocrisy. His sexiness has nothing to do with his body though, which, yes, could use some help.

I still think he's sexy but I was just wondering why he had that hypocrisy. His sexiness has nothing to do with his body though, which, yes, could use some help.

He's not fat! When he's super skinny he looks sick. I think a lot of people see a photo of him from 20 years ago and think he's fat now, but his body has completely changed with age.

He's not fat! When he's super skinny he looks sick. I think a lot of people see a photo of him from 20 years ago and think he's fat now, but his body has completely changed with age.

Don't misunderstand. I think he's sexier than thin, fit men but let's be honest that his BMI is probably high.

Don't misunderstand. I think he's sexier than thin, fit men but let's be honest that his BMI is probably high.

I quoted myself just to clarify that I think he is sexier than thin, fit men because attractiveness is more than skin-deep, but I don't think his body is what is attractive. I didn't think people would get offended so people here like Morrissey so much who obviously has a problem with fat himself.

This is something else, indeed.

Who cares how fat we all are.

Back
Top Bottom