why not more South American dates?

sistasheila

tjekket
i wonder why. the reviews of 2000 shows fantasitic response and demand in brasil chile and argentina(and mexico of course). he also said he enjoyed a lot playing there.
i wonder why- excluding mexico* -never again before and after 2000 south american dates were added?
(*even though he plays mexico at some tours mexco dates were missing in recent tours 2007-2009)
im not from south america;)i was just wondering about it.

Last edited:
i wonder why. the reviews of 2000 shows fantasitic response and demand in brasil chile and argentina(and mexico of course). he also said he enjoyed a lot playing there.
i wonder why- excluding mexico* -never again after 2000 south american dates were added?
(*even though he plays mexico at some tours mexco dates were missing in recent tours 2007-2009)

He said, maybe in the q&a on true to you, that he doesn't get a lot of interest from the promoters in that part of the world. Fan interest is there but you still need someone who wants to do all the footwork that make a show feasible.

He said, maybe in the q&a on true to you, that he doesn't get a lot of interest from the promoters in that part of the world. Fan interest is there but you still need someone who wants to do all the footwork that make a show feasible.

It depends of people who promote his gigs and want to pay for it. But I don't know why it happens, 'cause in Brazil this year will happen a Woodstock - a festival that will bring a lot of artists* back to Brazil.

* you can read: Smashing Pumpinks, Rag Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Bob Dylan and who knows also The Who.

It depends of people who promote his gigs and want to pay for it. But I don't know why it happens, 'cause in Brazil this year will happen a Woodstock - a festival that will bring a lot of artists* back to Brazil.

* you can read: Smashing Pumpinks, Rag Against the Machine, Pearl Jam, Bob Dylan and who knows also The Who.

Yeah, I'm not sure why certain acts get promoted and others don't.

Rush had the same problem with touring South America. They have been touring since 1974 but were never asked by anyone to go there so it wasn't until 2002 they actually did any dates in that part of the world.

They played to 40,000 in Rio and 60,000 in San Paulo so there is definitely a demand for them. Maybe the promoters aren't really in tune with who would be successful and are very careful to only book events that they know have almost no risk of losing money.

Very confusing.

Yeah, I'm not sure why certain acts get promoted and others don't.

Rush had the same problem with touring South America. They have been touring since 1974 but were never asked by anyone to go there so it wasn't until 2002 they actually did any dates in that part of the world.

They played to 40,000 in Rio and 60,000 in San Paulo so there is definitely a demand for them. Maybe the promoters aren't really in tune with who would be successful and are very careful to only book events that they know have almost no risk of losing money.

Very confusing.
I really don't understand why a thing like that happens. Deep Purple was in here three times in a row and the place where they played was trully crownded. Police's gig at Rio was crownded. We'd really appreciate if Morrissey comes to here once again - but I fhe's not playing in America or Europe I think that some South American date are hard to happen.

Morrissey, ven a Mexico por favor!!!

(Se que Mexico no esta en el sur, pero vienen por favor!)

Argh -- talk like this always reminds me of "South With Morrissey".
In this day and age I can't believe nothing has leaked.
One day...

i wonder why- excluding mexico* -never again before and after 2000 south american dates were added?

He played South America in 2000 and 2004, the last time excluding Brazil.

Usually to see international bands or solo artirts here is in Festivals as the cost of the freight for the equipment and instruments, etc, is too high, because of the distance. If we add the flights and hotels for the artists and all the crew, and the payment for the artist, the number goes higher.

Unfortunately that is the usual explanation we can hear on radios or read in the magazines.

To find sponsors for big Festivals is easier than for a solo artist I imagine. Although Morrissey played solo in 2000, and Levi´s was the sponsor. 2004 it was a Personal Telecom Festival.

And I think promoters do not want to take risks they just want to have profits, that´s natural. So they prefer to have Maddona , U2 or Rolling Stones, or some other mainstream band that do not represent a risk at all have 60.000-80.000-100.000 people in a stadium and that´s all.

On the other hand, there are smaller indie and folk festivals through the year, where we can see international bands or solo artists 1 per night, in small venues for 1000 or 2000 souls, which is really attractive and are always sold out. But I think they are cheaper than big artists of course.

Although, I am sure if Morrissey would play here again a whole week of gigs would be sold out, but it seems nobody else sees that except us , the fans.

Mexico is part of North America, also they are considered latin americans. And no idea why he did not play there last year.

well...wishing again Morrissey comes back here again someday.

Last edited:
He played South America in 2000 and 2004, the last time excluding Brazil.

Usually to see international bands or solo artirts here is in Festivals as the cost of the freight for the equipment and instruments, etc, is too high, because of the distance. If we add the flights and hotels for the artists and all the crew, and the payment for the artist, the number goes higher.

Unfortunately that is the usual explanation we can hear on radios or read in the magazines.

To find sponsors for big Festivals is easier than for a solo artist I imagine. Although Morrissey played solo in 2000, and Levi´s was the sponsor. 2004 it was a Personal Telecom Festival.

And I think promoters do not want to take risks they just want to have profits, that´s natural. So they prefer to have Maddona , U2 or Rolling Stones, or some other mainstream band that do not represent a risk at all have 60.000-80.000-100.000 people in a stadium and that´s all.

On the other hand, there are smaller indie and folk festivals through the year, where we can see international bands or solo artists 1 per night, in small venues for 1000 or 2000 souls, which is really attractive and are always sold out. But I think they are cheaper than big artists of course.

Although, I am sure if Morrissey would play here again a whole week of gigs would be sold out, but it seems nobody else sees that except us , the fans.

Mexico is part of North America, also they are considered latin americans. And no idea why he did not play there last year.

well...wishing again Morrissey comes back here again someday.

I can't see mistakes in your ideas.
If any artist comes to any country in it needs to have your costs paid for whom promote the gig. Ok, it's true. But all the costs will be solved on the tickets - that fans are gonna pay. Promotes can't deny that there's a enormous crowd to attend the gigs.

Let's talk about Brazil.
Artists who came to Brazil recently:
Oasis
REM
Radiohead
Kraftwork
Franz Ferdinand
Aerosmith
ZZ Top
Guns 'n' Roses
And of course, in October Brazil will have a 2010 Woodstock (where Bob Dylan, The Who (probably), Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpinkns and many other artists will play).

Very Moz, I'm pretty sure you understood what I've said, 'cause Argentina has the same problem, it's excluded of some international shows.

Last edited:
Raphael, all the bands you mentioned also came here or are coming soon, as usually if they play in Brazil play here too.

I know they should solve the cost with the tickets, but all the bands and singers cost is in dollar, euro or pounds, and our currency is so devaluated that a ticket must be reasonably cheap and in a big big venue, as if it were a smaller one, the cost of the tixs would be impossible to afford.

Sincerely no idea why Moz is not a temptation for promoters in South America, as he said here in 2000 in Buenos Aires "Never came before ´cos nobody asked me to" .... so...just hope someone from here makes a phone call to Moz soon:)

but...now that you mentioned ZZtop, I think they play here soon, should I go? :D on the other hand you have Camera Obscura this week, and they are not coming here:( so if you are attending enjoy it for me!

I prefer Camera Obscura, my friend - but they won't be playing at m/ city.

You are totally right, when they paly here, they also play in your country - and vice-versa.

Last edited:

he played santiago and buenos aires in 2004... i don't think it's all morrissey's fault, concert promoters need to make him offers to play over there.

he played santiago and buenos aires in 2004... i don't think it's all morrissey's fault, concert promoters need to make him offers to play over there.

No one has said it was Morrissey's fault, therefore I do believe we should talk - or make petition -stright with promoters about bringing Morrissey back to our country, 'cos his arriving in our land doesn't depend of him, or his desire of playing in certain places. Don't get me wrong, but why do you think he never played at China?

No one has said it was Morrissey's fault, therefore I do believe we should talk - or make petition -stright with promoters about bringing Morrissey back to our country, 'cos his arriving in our land doesn't depend of him, or his desire of playing in certain places. Don't get me wrong, but why do you think he never played at China?
because:
http://true-to-you.net/search/node/china

it's very difficult to play in china... the government controls everything so they pretty much have the final say of who gets to play there... it's mostly the pop acts like britney spears and mariah carey that get to perform there.

I consider myself an orphan 'cause I don't think that Morrissey will come to Brazil too soon - if he ever come back again - and a generation, that I think is pretty big down here, won't have the change to see their great idol. The easiest way to see a Moz concert, for a south american, is going to other country. That's pretty sad and expensive.

Tags
south america
Back
Top Bottom