"Why Morrissey Is the Dumb Uncle We Can't Help but Love" by Maggie Serota - Village Voice

Cowardly article really. The phrase is "drunk uncle" but maybe that's actionable, and they want to sit on the fence by saying "but we love him anyway" so no mention of any charges of racism. It's a shame about the Village Voice. It used to be a decent paper, but now it's full of bloggers who are trying to sell some version of hipster-lite to the clueless.

what an enlightening article. really resonated with me. what a neat trick the way the astute writer was able to educate and amuse me with his witty insights into dad jeans and facebook memes and the "bodily ravages of decades of rock n'roll"--of which morrissey is the poster boy, naturlich--while turning it around at the last moment by perfectly and succinctly capturing why, despite all of morrissey's offences--dad jeans, sailor shirts, concert cancellations (so totally not kewl, dewd)--affectionate feelings remain: because he's our dumb uncle. well said, clever writer. took the words right out of my mouth.

no, not really i lied.

what an enlightening article. really resonated with me. what a neat trick the way the astute writer was able to educate and amuse me with his witty insights into dad jeans and facebook memes and the "bodily ravages of decades of rock n'roll"--of which morrissey is the poster boy, naturlich--while turning it around at the last moment by perfectly and succinctly capturing why, despite all of morrissey's offences--dad jeans, sailor shirts, concert cancellations (so totally not kewl, dewd)--affectionate feelings remain: because he's our dumb uncle. well said, clever writer. took the words right out of my mouth.

no, not really i lied.

Well, as an acclaimed mozzbot, and in such a short timescale, it doesn't escape me there is a bandwagon to jump on for the young, cool and hip. Go for it! Jump!
But that bandwagon with it's rambling sound is more bitter and sour than anything moz has ever been accused of. And without even a tiny splash of humor. It seems lost on them.
Could I say, well your loss hatebots?
Yes I could, I just did. :tiphat:
My faxmachine refused me :head-smack:

This sentence at least is comedy gold: "He’s the oblivious relative whose plunging V-neckline shirts (see above) look like a cross between a toddler’s sailor outfit and something General Zod might wear on casual Friday." :lbf:

What a stupid article. That unnecessary need to exhibit an intelligence that is not there is amazingly naïf, even for an unknown critic.

My message to that bully disguised as a writer: Get a soul before touching a keyboard.

Last edited:
It would be quite funny if Morrissey got wind of this article, and put this Maggie Serota on the banned list so she can't actually attend the show.

'My faxmachine refused me'

why? did you ask it for a dance ? :)

Yes, she didn't want me to take the lead. :rolleyes:
And as you might know, THAT is essential as I intended a tango. :cool:
She's a stubborn girl and I never understood the manual anyway.
But still quite intriguing. Until now, that is. :D

What a stupid article. That unnecessary need to exhibit an intelligence that is not there is amazingly naïf, even for an unknown critic.

My message to that bully disguised as a writer: Get a soul before touching a keyboard.

She would be clueless as where to find one as long as she's searching for it in other people than herself ?
Touching the keyboards can create music if you want to. ;)

how do you tell the sex of a fax machine ? ;)

You don't. :straightface:
You led me there cause you asked me if I asked for a dance. ;)
And I can't deny I am a man, as much as I would like to say "huma", which I don't. :)

I think this huma ideology, as much as I sympathize, is nothing more than that. Just an ideology. But hey don't judge me for that, cause I don't judge people who believe in it either.

A faxmachine is female when I ask for a dance and she refuses o_O

Ugh that was pretty lame. A fifty something year old man in dad jeans makes someone dumb. He wears a lot of the same jewelry he's worn forever but now is terrible. he canceled shows in a period when he was suffering a bunch of illness. He shows a meat industry snuff film as a animals rights activist. This seemed a very superficial judgement based on the idea that Morrisseys to dumb to try and become the modern definition of hip and I think says more about the priorities of the writer. Morrisseys no longer as lithely good looking anymore and I'm embarrassed to be a fan etc

Ugh that was pretty lame. A fifty something year old man in dad jeans makes someone dumb. He wears a lot of the same jewelry he's worn forever but now is terrible. he canceled shows in a period when he was suffering a bunch of illness. He shows a meat industry snuff film as a animals rights activist. This seemed a very superficial judgement based on the idea that Morrisseys to dumb to try and become the modern definition of hip and I think says more about the priorities of the writer. Morrisseys no longer as lithely good looking anymore and I'm embarrassed to be a fan etc

I feel embarrassed as a fan towards Morrissey for a unknown number of so-called fans. Are they really fans? No wonder he sometimes seems to be more cautious. But fortunately there are a lot more fans who like him and respect him. As can be noticed in the reactions postshow in the tour section of this site. :thumb:

I reckon I am sick and tired of so called "journalists" stealing me Morrissey pseudonyms such as "Uncle Steve". I let Nancy use my avatar when Sunny passed away, which is OK, but stop stealing from me unless you are going to give me residuals.

PS-I reckon does anyone know where me can buy a Yankee baseball cap up here in Old Trapferd?

You know what I think is 'dumb': a person who considers herself to be a competent journalist and the best word she can manage to use as an insult is 'dumb'. That's a grade school playground jab. Morrissey is far from being 'dumb'; it seems like her criticism focuses less on his intellect and more on his eclectic (or eccentric to some) sense of style, which he has always had; his extremely opinionated social and political viewpoints (which he has also voiced right from the start); and his refusal to bend on any issues about which he feels passionately.

I'm not saying I agree with every statement that Morrissey makes (many, but not all), but I respect him for taking a stand on issues that he feels are relevant rather than just tweeting mindless drivel. She could certainly explain why she thinks his philosophies are out of touch without just labeling him as 'dumb'. Also, speaking of being out of touch, the cancellation problems were a few years ago and something that happened when he was in the Smiths as well. Does she really know anything about him?

Why do people act as if someone is forcing them to attend a Morrissey concert? Do you need a ticket stub to get your hipster badge? If you're over him, by all means save your money and make room for the people that want to be there. There are many of us who find joy, consolation, unity, and even humor in his words; if you don't, that's fine, but why the need to try and bash him while still claiming to be a fan?

She could have actually done some research and written an article about some new musical talent that readers might want to check out. This is just negative journalism that doesn't inform or educate anyone.

lynnda

You know what I think is 'dumb': a person who considers herself to be a competent journalist and the best word she can manage to use as an insult is 'dumb'. That's a grade school playground jab. Morrissey is far from being 'dumb'; it seems like her criticism focuses less on his intellect and more on his eclectic (or eccentric to some) sense of style, which he has always had; his extremely opinionated social and political viewpoints (which he has also voiced right from the start); and his refusal to bend on any issues about which he feels passionately.

I'm not saying I agree with every statement that Morrissey makes (many, but not all), but I respect him for taking a stand on issues that he feels are relevant rather than just tweeting mindless drivel. She could certainly explain why she thinks his philosophies are out of touch without just labeling him as 'dumb'. Also, speaking of being out of touch, the cancellation problems were a few years ago and something that happened when he was in the Smiths as well. Does she really know anything about him?

Why do people act as if someone is forcing them to attend a Morrissey concert? Do you need a ticket stub to get your hipster badge? If you're over him, by all means save your money and make room for the people that want to be there. There are many of us who find joy, consolation, unity, and even humor in his words; if you don't, that's fine, but why the need to try and bash him while still claiming to be a fan?

She could have actually done some research and written an article about some new musical talent that readers might want to check out. This is just negative journalism that doesn't inform or educate anyone.

lynnda
^^ THIS ^^

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom