Why Morrissey Is Dead To Me, By Gene's Martin Rossiter - The Quietus

Quietus article.

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

"I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years."

Last edited by a moderator:
" I think Morrissey was questioning the use and meaning of the word "extremist." Perfectly reasonable. "

^^ This ^^
He even emphasized it by asking: extremist what? Rabbit?
But no, he is a racist, must be a racist, will be a racist and by focussing on that premeditated goal, framing his words and trying to distract from his perfectly sane question. And from the fact that 22 innocent people, mostly children, were murdered. Innocent people. Almost like he is responsible.

He didn't come up with that word. "Extremist". Well, that tells us nothing.
He reacted to the same boring things politicians and authorities always say whenever a terrorist attack by murderers happened.
And boy, there have been a lot in Europe during the last years.

Why should he explicitly state what politicians and authorities are afraid of stating? And who should adress that question.

He is only the pop singer from Manchester and it happened on his birthday in his birthtown, so if I were to believe he is a human with emotions, isn't he allowed to state his opinion?
It was aimed at the people responsible.
Nobody else.
Yeah, people tend to read what they want and suddenly a quote is pointing the finger at everybody. Words are a difficult thing.

I also have to add that Rossiter's reading of The Ordinary Boys is ludicrously off the mark...
Kinda agree on this point. I reread it and I think he thinks Morrissey is mocking people who buy cheap clothes? Makes no sense. He's just painting a picture of a bully.

Even if you never have heard of him that picture alone would have made anyone realise what a complete mystery of a man he is.

A very nice photograph indeed.
How he reminds me in that picture at the cafe' of an old friend of mine. He used to zone out too and you had absolutely no idea on what planet he was.

I saw that his old posh giant apartment was empty the other day. The stage for so many parties and memories in what is now another lifetime.

When is fartin' Martin arranging the funeral and where can I apply to be in attendance?

12 Slack must obviously arrange the flowers and Gerrit recite a poem with lovely dutch accent english. As for the rest of us it is napkin time.

Kinda agree on this point. I reread it and I think he thinks Morrissey is mocking people who buy cheap clothes? Makes no sense. He's just painting a picture of a bully.
Those ordinary boys live here spending weekend nights riding around in their cars creating rubber burns outside the local shop.

They have their future life carved into their faces and you prefer to look away.

I cringed when I read Morrissey's "statement". I do think his political views are at best highly inconsistent, and near incomprehensible at times. He hates Trump, constantly attacked Cameron as PM, and supported Bernie Sanders, for example. Not the sign of a right-wing person. Also a love of James Baldwin wouldn't seem to indicate a racist ideology in a person. But his views do seem to veer both left and right at times; and when he voices something that sounds right wing it obviously gets far more media coverage. Yet as his lyrics show he is also highly empathic when he wants to be. I do wish he would take a deep breath before he makes these political "pronouncements".

Yet people are contradictions, aren't they, not least politically? It's why millions of people can go from Labour to Conservative, Republican to Democrat and back again over a life time of voting.

It is perfectly feasible to hold beliefs on both sides of the political centre ground. For example, I am in favour of the renationalisation of the railways, but I'm also entirely aware handing it back over to the unions would be an absolute disaster.

I'm also as vehemently anti-war as any Haight-Ashbury hippy ever was, but I also know that there are times when sitting around lacing daisies into each other's hair just doesn't work.

I'm sure many of us here will have had times in ours lives when we may have had a problem with an individual who simply will not be reasoned with and the only remaining option is to deliver either a figurative or literal bop on the nose.

Sadly, a cup of tea and a biccy isn't always as effective as one might hope. Some people need hitting with the kettle.

I have a fear of people who use the word islamaphobia. I am therefore islamaphobiaphobic.

When is fartin' Martin arranging the funeral and where can I apply to be in attendance?

12 Slack must obviously arrange the flowers and Gerrit recite a poem with lovely dutch accent english. As for the rest of us it is napkin time.

Thanks for the offer. Very kind of you.
Fortunately, I will have to decline.
About Martin Rossiter:
He seems to know so little and he knows it so fluently.

Thanks for the offer. Very kind of you.
Fortunately, I will have to decline.
About Martin Rossiter:
He seems to know so little and he knows it so fluently.
I actually went to a Gene gig once, at Manchester Uni in 2001. Cannot say that I ever felt they were unique and might as well have been some cover band that went on to record their own songs trying to sound like some other band here and there.

The best bit that night was leaving the venue and walking to another venue where The Charlatans had played that night watching the crowd come out from the gig. Ex-United player Brian McClair came out and I had my picture taken with him and finally got to thank him for scoring the winner and only goal in the League Cup final in 1992 at Wembley when I was present.

I have a fear of people who use the word islamaphobia. I am therefore islamaphobiaphobic.

With that, you frightened me, marred.
Now you made me islamaphobiaphobicphobic.

By the way, thinking about mozphobia as a word to use.

Whenever some (anonymous) troll starts spewing his hate for Moz I will accuse him of mozphobia.
Not that it would help, of course. :rolleyes:

Martin Rossiter said "Morrissey is dead to me" - guess what , Martin, the dead are actually 22 women and girls in Manchester. Morrissey's statement has been labeled the "bitter masterpiece". Being tolerant certainly had its price on May 22,2017. Everything Morrissey stated was not racist, it was the awful truth.

Quietus article.

Morrissey was an inspiration to Martin Rossiter, whose band Gene share many fans with the former Smith. But after years of right wing blethering from Moz, Martin has had enough

"I feel ashamed and embarrassed that I quietly remained a Morrissey apologist for many years."

I don't see Morrissey as making a right wing statement. He has attacked Trump and May. I see was he is saying as more in line with Bill Maher in America. Maher often gets hit from all sides when attacking Islam. Islam is not a race, but a religion. A religion is a choice and not something you are born with. Morrissey, in his autobiography and on records has been against racism. Not all Muslims are bad, in fact the predominant majority are not violent. However, there is a strain of Islam that is particularly destructive. While the right is wrong to attack all Muslims, the left often will often water down the problem with certain parts of Islam. It is true his writing is often blunt. If you have a problem with the way he approaches things, that's fine. But to call Morrissey right wing when he is clearly not, it seems quite idiotic. In fact I find it hard to find anything in his entire career that is right wing. I am on the left and am not a fan of any religion. We have our own Christian yahoos over here. Our government has also done a lot to fan the flames in the Middle East. That being said, there is a part of Islam that will not integrate properly in western culture. What do we do about it? I don't know. I have friends, non-religious, that are from that region, so we can't just shut everyone out. But if those on the right are ridiculously racist, those on the left have to at least acknowledge that there is a problem.

Quietus article.

The dude writing the article trots out all the Morrissey songs that have been used against him time after time. None of those songs are problematic if you actually pay attention to them. They are nuanced and use a sense of humor. In Asian Rut and Bengali in Platforms the minorities are depicted as sympathetic while those abusing them are the true targets. "Life is hard enough when you belong here." He is saying don't come here for your sake, this place is awful and treats outsiders of any kind of outsider terribly. Asian Rut the kids that kill the asian are the barbarians. The guy from Gene is clearly trying to pathetically jump on the bandwagon and get some press.

CG is back, it is like Einstein returned from the grave (or his wife).

*cough cough
It's torture reading the same person pretend to be 10 different people in an exercise to secretly be so objective they can work all angles but they keep using the same grammatical structure. It's like watching a baboon pace in a zoo.

With that, you frightened me, marred.
Now you made me islamaphobiaphobicphobic.

By the way, thinking about mozphobia as a word to use.

Whenever some (anonymous) troll starts spewing his hate for Moz I will accuse him of mozphobia.
Not that it would help, of course. :rolleyes:
Nice one Quando but if I may edit the term slightly let's coin it Mozzerphobia!

The dude writing the article trots out all the Morrissey songs that have been used against him time after time. None of those songs are problematic if you actually pay attention to them. They are nuanced and use a sense of humor. In Asian Rut and Bengali in Platforms the minorities are depicted as sympathetic while those abusing them are the true targets. "Life is hard enough when you belong here." He is saying don't come here for your sake, this place is awful and treats outsiders of any kind of outsider terribly. Asian Rut the kids that kill the asian are the barbarians. The guy from Gene is clearly trying to pathetically jump on the bandwagon and get some press.
Nuance and humour are like super sonic jets to most people. You're right though. The gene dude is just another person in the queue of the uninformed. A little gathering of knowledge on their behalf would go a long way. Ignorance is tres chic these days though isn't it?

Loving group of people Angela Merkel invited in. The patron saint of immigrants. She is worse than Trump.

I also have to add that Rossiter's reading of The Ordinary Boys is ludicrously off the mark...

He already voiced his opinion on this track when he reviewed the Viva Hate re-issue. Why does it bother him so much? Because he himself ist an ordinary boy?

"The aid of retrospect casts a new light on most of the songs here, none more so than ‘The Ordinary Boys’. Here Morrissey dismissed the "Ordinary boys, happy knowing nothing / Happy being no one but themselves" as "empty fools". Are these not the very same people he celebrates later in his career on ‘Boxers’ and the sinister ‘We’ll Let You Know’? What caused this change of tack is anyone’s guess, but it does seem at odds with an artist who always had such a clearly defined musical and lyrical manifesto."

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom