"Why Morrissey has the most loyal fanbase in the music industry" by Rob Pollard - MEN

Do you think Morrissey's fanbase is as loyal as ever?

• Yes, definitely

Votes: 9 47.4%
  • No, some of his comments have cost him

Votes: 6 31.6%
  • No but it's not the comments, it's the music

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • No, it's not the comments or the music, it's the court case

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No, but it's the nephew and his photoshops

Votes: 1 5.3%

• Total voters
Why Morrissey has the most loyal fanbase in the music industry - Manchester Evening News
by Rob Pollard
Ahead of Morrissey's gig at Manchester Arena, M.E.N reporter Rob Pollard ponders the extreme devotion of the former Smiths frontman's fans

Note: Full article removed on suggestion by author (tweet)

Apologies to author and site. When I post articles I will only include a summary.

Last edited:
you make good points and i tend to agree, but i dont think he's doing it for profit. i imagine he genuinely took the news pretty hard. i think comparing degrees of sickness between people is not really an appropriate response to something that is as personal an experience as sickness.

That's a valid point, rifke. Even if his illness is managed now, it's probably scary for him to think how easy it would have been to miss finding his Barrett's. He was very lucky, especially if it was found at an early stage.
Not to mention if you add that to any other physical ailments he might have.

As a relatively new fan I can honestly say it's not JUST his music that makes me loyal. After reading his autobiography and watching him in countless interviews I find I actually like and admire the man and feel I "know" or at least understand him better than I do most music artists I patronize. That said many many artists have fiercely loyal fans so I can't say Moz fans are anything special.

Ive " been with" morrissey and a fan right from the start and allways will be........ no matter what ! :)

I think he does, at this point, owe as an explanation.

He doesn’t fight his illness in private and with dignity though.. It’s all very cynical and repulsive.

He totally wants it both ways.

He is playing with peoples’ emotions and it’s all in very bad taste. .

Anyone going thru an illness or indeed suffering ect doesn't owe anyone an apology in fact they should be offered hope compassion and understanding ect , hes sharing his health problems with us which is dignified, irrelevant as 2 how he chooses 2 do it, Its not only healing and good 2 himself.... but helps others 2 .

No, I am not confused, dear. I can see very clearly and I have a moral compass that I live by and that I expect others to live by.

I think he does, at this point, owe as an explanation.

He does have a right to privacy. Of course he does. If he wants to battle his illness (whatever it is) in private and with dignity, like Bowie did, that should be respected. In which case, he doesn't owe us an explanation.

He doesn’t fight his illness in private and with dignity though. He keeps dropping hints, he flashes plasters with nothing underneath - this whole bizarre schtick, he whinges about the tediousness of the blood tests (gurl, if the blood tests are the most excruciating part of your so-called cancer treatment you’re VERY lucky - good luck with the chemo / radiation etc!), every interview he gives insinuates that it’s the last chance we get to see him. It’s not even certain he has cancer. All we know for sure is that he’s had some precancerous tissue scraped. If he does, indeed, have cancer, why can’t he just say “I have cancer”. He just flirts with the image. It’s all very cynical and repulsive.

He totally wants it both ways.

He is playing with peoples’ emotions and it’s all in very bad taste. Speaking as someone who has lost a spouse to cancer after a seven year quiet and dignified battle I find Morrissey exploiting everyone’s fear of the disease and mocking cancer sufferers for sympathy / attention / profit extremely repulsive.

I’ve never been a “hater”. I said nothing during NorwayMcDonald’s and ParisForProfit (although those weren’t his best moments). I don't care whether he sold out Manchester arena or not. But CancerForProfit irks me so much he deserves all the ridicule and contempt he gets.

Kiss my arse.

He does not owe you or "us" any explanation.
He is an artist and can do whatever he wants.
You were clear you don't like what he does or says. I don't believe you are a hater.
Just very much disappointed.

I understand your emotinal arguments. They are relevant and more or less valid.

But you can't expect Morrissey or any other to live up to your moral compass.
Whatever that might be.
I respect that you live up to your OWN moral compass.

But unfortunate or fortunately there are many moral compasses.
Just as much as there are people.

A moral compass is by definition relative.

Please don't use those ugly and insulting words.
They are weakening your statement.
Gerrit

Ugly and insulting words? Don't make me laugh.

If there's anything that's ugly here it's your hero's behaviour.

I'm loyal because he was been loyal to Nancy Sinatra all these years and that's hard to do living in L.A. with all the hot chicks around that Morrissey could be banging. I think this is commendable.

Ugly and insulting words? Don't make me laugh.

If there's anything that's ugly here it's your hero's behaviour.

I am not really defending him.
He doesn 't need me or any other to defend himself.
He is only a hero in an artistic sense.

There are many artists who had a great artistic talent and created beautiful things but were not really nice people to say the least. Not saying anything bad about Moz, I don't know him personally.
For me he was and is just a very interesting artist.

You can judge him and reject him on a moral basis but that is a very nineteenth century opinion.
If you really want him to shut up than we go back to the middle ages.

Anyone who had an opinion than and who was not the village idiot, was shut up good and proper and forever.
By the way, the village idiot was the only person who was free and could do what he want because, hey he was only the village idiot. The other people just accepted him.

But he was the only one in the village who had a personality.
All the other people bowed down to the gossiping and had to be really careful.
And they even didn't know what was all said behind their back.

Moz has a very strong personality and he does what he wants.
I admire him for this reason. Not for all his shortcomings.
Gerrit

Are you going to stomp your little feet until he apologises to you? Get over it. He's an artist, not your lover :)

Hello Marred.

What part of my argument above do you disagree with?

PS I have rather big feet. I'm 6 ft 2 and have shoe size 43 (European).

Last edited:
I am not really defending him.
He doesn 't need me or any other to defend himself.
He is only a hero in an artistic sense.

There are many artists who had a great artistic talent and created beautiful things but were not really nice people to say the least. Not saying anything bad about Moz, I don't know him personally.
For me he was and is just a very interesting artist.

You can judge him and reject him on a moral basis but that is a very nineteenth century opinion.
If you really want him to shut up than we go back to the middle ages.

Anyone who had an opinion than and who was not the village idiot, was shut up good and proper and forever.
By the way, the village idiot was the only person who was free and could do what he want because, hey he was only the village idiot. The other people just accepted him.

But he was the only one in the village who had a personality.
All the other people bowed down to the gossiping and had to be really careful.
And they even didn't know what was all said behind their back.

Moz has a very strong personality and he does what he wants.
I admire him for this reason. Not for all his shortcomings.
Gerrit
:thumb:

But you can't expect Morrissey or any other to live up to your moral compass.
Whatever that might be.
I respect that you live up to your OWN moral compass.

But unfortunate or fortunately there are many moral compasses.
Just as much as there are people.

A moral compass is by definition relative.

Not really. There are definite wrongs and rights. Playing the cancer card is a definite wrong.

Not really. There are definite wrongs and rights. Playing the cancer card is a definite wrong.

I respect that for you there are definite wrongs and rights.
But it is your opinion.
There is the law but even the law is in a constant "under construction" state.
Just as science is.
He hasn't broken the law yet as far as I know.

Moz is not only an artist but also a human being with all his flaws just like we all are.
You are not alone. There are many people who criticise him.

But I am curious, does it mean you are now resenting him as much as you don't want to hear his music anymore? You're not curious about the supposedly new album that might be released? New songs he might do live?

Has or hasn't he said he has cancer? I thought he did not.
Only precancerous tissue was and still has to be removed.
Maybe he is trying to get a bit more sympathy with his fans.
Maybe he really needs it.

I think we should give that sympathy.
And many fans do.
I think it does a lot of good to him as the videos from the concerts show.
His voice is better than ever.

He needs it to get the best out of him as an artist.
I believe that's what he wants anyway.
I forgive him like I always do forgive him.
Gerrit

Tags
fans morrissey

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom