Why is James hated?

King Leer

Leering since '97
Not a major fan, never followed them in a big way, but I liked their famous tracks and think they still hold up today.

What is it that so many people hate about this band (both members of the general public and other bands)? Was it their looks, what they said in interviews -- were they Too anthemic? I don't get it.

I don't hate them. I don't like them... But I don't hate them either.

I actually quite like them but I've always got the feeling that tim is a bit egotistical. I get the feeling that he thinks James are one of the all time best bands, which they probably are not

I don't hate them, it's just that song with the so obvious trying
to copy Miserable Lie and the "oh you think you're so pretty".
Errr......sorry, I just can't stand it.
It makes me want to vomit.
But if others love it that's their prerogative and far be it
from me to criticise. It's just that I personally have to quickly
change the station if it's on......

My vague impression is that Tim Booth had that kind of huge self-belief that people didn't like until Oasis made it fashionable.

Anyway, check out the shopping list of opening bands that later eclipsed James -- very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_(band)#The_2000s

I remember going to see James in about 89? and the support act was The Happy mondays, who blew me away...i thought they were trying to be the fall or something...but they were better then James. Also the inspiral carpets @ another concert.
The last time i saw (or wanted to see james) was at glastonbury in about 94?
But their music hasn't interested me for a long time!

I think seeing Tim Booth in Batman begins as a escaped prisoner from Arkham was quite funny!

I saw JAmes 1992, Glastonbury. They opened with We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful which was allegedly written about Tim Booth. Moz was second on the bill on the Saturday but didn't turn up. Qu'elle surprise!

I saw JAmes 1992, Glastonbury. They opened with We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful which was allegedly written about Tim Booth. Moz was second on the bill on the Saturday but didn't turn up. Qu'elle surprise!

Err, actually James were brought in to play at the last minute when Moz pulled out. They did a Morrissey song as a treat for the Moz fans. I remember him changing the lyric to 'we hate it when our friends become so stressful'!

So you don't think that Tim Booth was exacting some form of revenge that Morrissey had written a rather scathing song about him?

From all the tunes in the Moz-solo canon at that time they decided to cover that one...coincidence I think not

So you don't think that Tim Booth was exacting some form of revenge that Morrissey had written a rather scathing song about him?

From all the tunes in the Moz-solo canon at that time they decided to cover that one...coincidence I think not

It was simply the most recent Morrissey single (this was June 92) so I don't think your theory holds much weight. Sorry!
Moz always ever said nice things about James. I think he even stated that he was very happy about their success (in the early 90's)...

James aren't hated. Critics knocked them in the early 1990s because they had gone from eclectic folksy types singing about aliens to a band that sounded dangerously close, at times, to Simple Minds. I like James a lot and they certainly opened up their sound dramatically, but I never thought them phony or careerist.

Saw them once in Hollywood and by the end they had the crowd in a state of sheer euphoria.

Also, another obvious reason James covered "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" is that it deals with jealousy over a Northern band's success, and no doubt Tim and the others experienced quite a lot of that.

No, I specifically sensed hate a few years ago when there were rumours of James getting back together and their greatest hits CD etc. Most of it probably emanated from the NME (both its staff writers and other artists asked to comment).

They always struck me as a bit like The Charlatans -- massive to those who loved their live shows, but somehow unable to parlay that into wider "success".

James aren't hated. Critics knocked them in the early 1990s because they had gone from eclectic folksy types singing about aliens to a band that sounded dangerously close, at times, to Simple Minds. I like James a lot and they certainly opened up their sound dramatically, but I never thought them phony or careerist.

Saw them once in Hollywood and by the end they had the crowd in a state of sheer euphoria.

Also, another obvious reason James covered "We Hate It When Our Friends Become Successful" is that it deals with jealousy over a Northern band's success, and no doubt Tim and the others experienced quite a lot of that.

Yeah, I've always sensed a bit of hatred towards James, but more in a 'they're dull' kind of way. The hate currently bestowed upon Keane etc.

Personally I loved them at their best, loathed them at their worst, but like most bands I semi-like, their back catalogue was ropey at times, some of it was dire to be frank, though never quite as bad as Simple Minds :D

Back
Top Bottom