Why I Will Not Buy Greatest Hits

pandora_cocteau

Yesterday I walked into HMV, grabbed a copy of Greatest Hits off the shelf and walked towards the cash register. As it was about to be checked out, the salesperson said "That will be 18.95 with tax"...yes. Tax. The evil tax that pays for the seal hunt, funded by the government. I appologized to the girl and said I no longer want the CD. I will not support the Canadian government in Morrissey's name.

Now, I am sure that the only reason why Morrissey is fine with selling his CDs to a country that will earn money for their barbaric slaughterfest off his music, is because he is misinformed. Right? I am sure he truly doesn't know.

Maybe his people forgot to inform him? Or maybe this is the first time that I realize that Morrissey and Co are huge hypocrites when it comes to the boycott. If you want to do it- do it all they way. Because selling your new releases across Canada and then NOT touring here because the tax money will benefit the seal hunt is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Any Canadian Morrissey fan would not mind ordering the CD from the States, or the UK anyway.

Good topic Pandora.

I would of thought that Morrissey actually staging shows in Canada and having, say, anti seal hunting protestors at the shows would have been more noticeable. Appearing on Canadian television and commenting on the seal hunting would of shown more back bone to his beliefs.

The cd is on sell in Canada, to make some more 'units' for record company.

If Morrissey wants his product sold there, is something we don't know.

Last edited:
Yesterday I walked into HMV, grabbed a copy of Greatest Hits off the shelf and walked towards the cash register. As it was about to be checked out, the salesperson said "That will be 18.95 with tax"...yes. Tax. The evil tax that pays for the seal hunt, funded by the government. I appologized to the girl and said I no longer want the CD. I will not support the Canadian government in Morrissey's name.

Now, I am sure that the only reason why Morrissey is fine with selling his CDs to a country that will earn money for their barbaric slaughterfest off his music, is because he is misinformed. Right? I am sure he truly doesn't know.

Maybe his people forgot to inform him? Or maybe this is the first time that I realize that Morrissey and Co are huge hypocrites when it comes to the boycott. If you want to do it- do it all they way. Because selling your new releases across Canada and then NOT touring here because the tax money will benefit the seal hunt is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Any Canadian Morrissey fan would not mind ordering the CD from the States, or the UK anyway.

thing is though doesnt everything (except food) have tax added in Canada? So everything you buy contributes in some way to the seal hunt? I do hear what you are saying about the hypocrisy of Morrissey putting his product on sale in a country he wouldnt play in but if you bought a Michael Jackson CD instead wouldnt that have the exact same consequence for the seals?

I agree with CB - Moz should have come to Canada and raised his voice about the seal hunt at EVERY gig and in EVERY interview.

And my reasons...

1. It's hypocritical. "Re-issue, re-package, re-package" anyone?

2. It's basically a re-release of the last two albums with some golden oldie's thrown in.

3. The cover art is an old photograph of the younger Morrissey. A trend in recent publicity that I find to be quite distressing.

4. The two new songs are avalible of I-Tunes.

5. I already own Morrissey: Sudedhead - a more comprehensive "Best Off".

thing is though doesnt everything (except food) have tax added in Canada? So everything you buy contributes in some way to the seal hunt? I do hear what you are saying about the hypocrisy of Morrissey putting his product on sale in a country he wouldnt play in but if you bought a Michael Jackson CD instead wouldnt that have the exact same consequence for the seals?

I agree with CB - Moz should have come to Canada and raised his voice about the seal hunt at EVERY gig and in EVERY interview.

Well, yeah, everything DOES have tax (sadly, including food!) but would Morrissey want his face and name on something that contributes direct money to the government. He obviously can't make Michael Jackson not sell his CDs or make other artists not tour Canada- the least he can do is NOT sell his own CDs in Canada if he decided he in no way shape or form wants to support the government that is killing the animals.
And yes, if I bought anything else, it would have the same consequence- but the question is, does Morrissey want to be a part of something like that? I obviously can't move to another country yet...but he can probably speak to his business execs and come to a solution. Sure it would financially hurt, but it hurts more being clubbed in the head.

difficult one - i guess all you can do at the next election is vote for the political party in Canada that will not support the hunt, lobby your MPs until then and do as much you can to raise awareness of this issue. But i dont think not buying Morrissey's CD will help the seals one little bit.

difficult one - i guess all you can do at the next election is vote for the political party in Canada that will not support the hunt, lobby your MPs until then and do as much you can to raise awareness of this issue. But i dont think not buying Morrissey's CD will help the seals one little bit.

I know, that wasn't the point- the point is that Morrissey shouldn't sell his CDs in Canada if he's going to boycott it from his tour.

The only thing that will stop the hunt is a ban on seal products. The biggest market currently is the EU so lobby your MEP now!

[...] this is the first time that I realize that Morrissey and Co are huge hypocrites when it comes to the boycott. If you want to do it- do it all they way. Because selling your new releases across Canada and then NOT touring here because the tax money will benefit the seal hunt is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Any Canadian Morrissey fan would not mind ordering the CD from the States, or the UK anyway.

Well, yeah, everything DOES have tax (sadly, including food!) but would Morrissey want his face and name on something that contributes direct money to the government. [...] the least he can do is NOT sell his own CDs in Canada if he decided he in no way shape or form wants to support the government that is killing the animals.

[...] does Morrissey want to be a part of something like that? I obviously can't move to another country yet...but he can probably speak to his business execs and come to a solution. Sure it would financially hurt, but it hurts more being clubbed in the head.

I know, that wasn't the point- the point is that Morrissey shouldn't sell his CDs in Canada if he's going to boycott it from his tour.

but you're still happy to buy morrissey's products via a retailer outside canada? that's a curious position to adopt.

The only thing that will stop the hunt is a ban on seal products. The biggest market currently is the EU so lobby your MEP now!

100% right - i will do exactly that.

On a related subject i love your avatar and sig (went humpback whale watching in Alaska not long ago) something needs to be done about the Japanese thinking this is OK:

Last edited:
but you're still happy to buy morrissey's products via a retailer outside canada? that's a curious position to adopt.

Yeah, because that way, no tax money goes to the government. It's not really about the tax money, it's just to point out hypocrisy. I'm slightly disappointed. I never once said that he was horrible for boycotting Canada, more over, I really thought it right to stand up for your beliefs. But seeing his new release CDs being sold in bulk in Canadian music stores...I can't help but feel he was a huge hypocrite.

Yeah, because that way, no tax money goes to the government. It's not really about the tax money, it's just to point out hypocrisy. I'm slightly disappointed. I never once said that he was horrible for boycotting Canada, more over, I really thought it right to stand up for your beliefs. But seeing his new release CDs being sold in bulk in Canadian music stores...I can't help but feel he was a huge hypocrite.

yeah, i got that from your earlier posts - and i agree with them. what i don't understand is your still being happy to line his pockets with your money, despite his hypocrisy.

I can't help but feel he was a huge hypocrite.

It wouldn't be the first time. We all know he has a tendency to speak before he thinks, and while I'm sure his love for Canadian seals knows no bounds, it's probably something he regrets doing now. Unfortunately for him, it's too late to go back - he can hardly start touring there again unless he wants to lose his last shreds of artistic credibility. Yes, it is hypocritical, and it goes to prove that there probably isn't a whole lot of forethought in his sweeping polemical statements.

Coiff.

Erm everything you buy, regardless of what country you live in, is taxed. The only difference is that in some countries, they only display the retail price without the tax, whereas in countries like England, tax is 'hidden' into the price ie VAT etc. By selling his CDs in America, Morrissey is also funding the Bush Administration, which he has spoken out against, but I don't believe this or selling his CDs (which I doubt he has a real say-so in such a matter) in Canada is hypocritical. By purely living in Canada, you are contributing to the evil government whom you refuse to fund by buying the Greatest Hits CD, this is unless you are unemployeed, wear no clothes, and eat nothing.

By purely living in Canada, you are contributing to the evil government whom you refuse to fund by buying the Greatest Hits CD, this is unless you are unemployeed, wear no clothes, and eat nothing.
I beleive the young lady in question already stated that she hasn't got much choice 'at' the moment of where she lives, as she is still in education.

100% right - i will do exactly that.

On a related subject i love your avatar and sig (went humpback whale watching in Alaska not long ago) something needs to be done about the Japanese thinking this is OK:

Oh thank you. Yes, I was so horrified by the news reports showing the slaughter of a mother minke whale and her calf last week that I contacted The Sea Shepherd organisation and sent them a donation. Sent lots of protest emails too. What else can you do?

Lucky you to be able to go whale-watching. That would be a dream for me. :)

That's the most idiotic thing I've read this morning. Granted, I've read only about five threads so far, so that statement may change.

Back
Top Bottom