Why I Will Not Buy Greatest Hits

Erm everything you buy, regardless of what country you live in, is taxed. The only difference is that in some countries, they only display the retail price without the tax, whereas in countries like England, tax is 'hidden' into the price ie VAT etc. By selling his CDs in America, Morrissey is also funding the Bush Administration, which he has spoken out against, but I don't believe this or selling his CDs (which I doubt he has a real say-so in such a matter) in Canada is hypocritical. By purely living in Canada, you are contributing to the evil government whom you refuse to fund by buying the Greatest Hits CD, this is unless you are unemployeed, wear no clothes, and eat nothing.

Very well said... I don't really get the point of this thread. I doubt Morrissey has any influence on where his CDs are sold. He's not going to say to the record company or whoever is responsible, "hi folks, here's my latest Greatest Hits album, but don't sell it in XYZ." Don't blame the man for everything.

Yeah, but remember you have the rest of the day to post idiotic things:p

Exactly right!

That's the most idiotic thing I've read this morning. Granted, I've read only about five threads so far, so that statement may change.

Ok, now that I've read a few more threads, I have to say that my original statement still stands. Now I'll take corny's advice and post some stupid shit of my own.

And my reasons...

1. It's hypocritical. "Re-issue, re-package, re-package" anyone?

2. It's basically a re-release of the last two albums with some golden oldie's thrown in.

3. The cover art is an old photograph of the younger Morrissey. A trend in recent publicity that I find to be quite distressing.

4. The two new songs are avalible of I-Tunes.

5. I already own Morrissey: Sudedhead - a more comprehensive "Best Off".

I'm not buying it for the same reasons you posted. I don't need to spend the money over again on stuff I already have and like you said the two new songs are on ITunes so I can download 'em from there so Moz still gets his money.

But getting back to the post that started this thread: that IS very sad that that extra money in Canada goes to the seal clubbing. I honestly never knew that until now except I know it's a barbaric act of inoccent (and CUTE) animals.

Sounds like a Masochists' dilemma to me.

I can NOT buy the album and miss the pleasure of hearing it and supporting my favourite artist - out of principle.

Or

I CAN buy the album and be out of pocket for getting songs I already have, and a crap new single. With the added pleasure of feeling guilty for unwillingly paying taxes on it.

I think Morrissey has already made his statement on seals.

But he makes a living by making music. Regardless of however much there is in the bank, it's the only occupation he knows and he enjoys it. Getting a wide audience and sales means he can carry on doing it, and incidentally get the column inches when he pronounces on how things should be. When he becomes irrelevent musically who will listen to him then?

Asking people to live up to YOUR standards is a bit much. however flawed his own morality, it's always going to be his choice and no-one elses (unless it involves breaking the Law).

That's the most idiotic thing I've read this morning. Granted, I've read only about five threads so far, so that statement may change.

I second that.

Besides... why the protest to begin with?
a472_bm.gif

Yesterday I walked into HMV, grabbed a copy of Greatest Hits off the shelf and walked towards the cash register. As it was about to be checked out, the salesperson said "That will be 18.95 with tax"...yes. Tax. The evil tax that pays for the seal hunt, funded by the government. I appologized to the girl and said I no longer want the CD. I will not support the Canadian government in Morrissey's name.

Now, I am sure that the only reason why Morrissey is fine with selling his CDs to a country that will earn money for their barbaric slaughterfest off his music, is because he is misinformed. Right? I am sure he truly doesn't know.

Maybe his people forgot to inform him? Or maybe this is the first time that I realize that Morrissey and Co are huge hypocrites when it comes to the boycott. If you want to do it- do it all they way. Because selling your new releases across Canada and then NOT touring here because the tax money will benefit the seal hunt is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Any Canadian Morrissey fan would not mind ordering the CD from the States, or the UK anyway.

ha maybe it's just his excuse for not wanting to tour there .. surprised he hasn't decided to officially say he's not coming here to Australia because of kangaroo kullings ... he just ignores our existance completely.

Erm everything you buy, regardless of what country you live in, is taxed. The only difference is that in some countries, they only display the retail price without the tax, whereas in countries like England, tax is 'hidden' into the price ie VAT etc. By selling his CDs in America, Morrissey is also funding the Bush Administration, which he has spoken out against, but I don't believe this or selling his CDs (which I doubt he has a real say-so in such a matter) in Canada is hypocritical. By purely living in Canada, you are contributing to the evil government whom you refuse to fund by buying the Greatest Hits CD, this is unless you are unemployeed, wear no clothes, and eat nothing.

yeah but he still tours in the US. the whole point is that he refuses to tour canada.

since 91 until the boycott in 06 he played canada 8 or 9 times. the albums have sold relatively poorly. maybe it has less to do with the seals and more to do with financial reasons. maybe i'm just cynical. he wants to play in iran where they stone the queer boys. and he hasn't called for a boycott of japan over the whaling. but then again, they don't really have those big cute eyes.

seal.jpeg

Morrissey didn't decide to boycott Canada one day while he was sitting by the swimming pool. PETA started the boycott and Morrissey supported it. Why it doesn't apply to his records I don't know, but I don't see anything inconsistent. His records were still for sale during his boycott.

I've already written this several times, but one more time I'll ask, how real was the boycott to begin with? At the time wasn't he also boycotting Antarctica and the moon? He wasn't going to play any of those places to begin with. If he had scheduled a Canadian tour and then canceled it would have some meaning, but announcing a boycott of a place you don't plan to visit anyway isn't much of a boycott. They could have checked passports as you entered the shows in the US, I guess, and made sure no Canadians got to see him at all.

I'm not saying that he didn't believe in the boycott, but it was pretty convenient for him to support it.

About this tax thing, I'm confused. I thought that the seal cull made money. You mean Canada actually finances this slaughter? It seems pointless.

since 91 until the boycott in 06 he played canada 8 or 9 times. the albums have sold relatively poorly. maybe it has less to do with the seals and more to do with financial reasons. maybe i'm just cynical. he wants to play in iran where they stone the queer boys. and he hasn't called for a boycott of japan over the whaling. but then again, they don't really have those big cute eyes.

seal.jpeg

When PETA boycotts Japan or Iran he will, too. Why they don't, I'm not sure. It's way easier to boycott Canada, though. When was the last time you saw anything marked "made in Canada"?

And my reasons...

1. It's hypocritical. "Re-issue, re-package, re-package" anyone?

2. It's basically a re-release of the last two albums with some golden oldie's thrown in.

3. The cover art is an old photograph of the younger Morrissey. A trend in recent publicity that I find to be quite distressing.

4. The two new songs are avalible of I-Tunes.

5. I already own Morrissey: Sudedhead - a more comprehensive "Best Off".

That's it, I've had enough! The next person to quote THAT line from Paint a Vulgar Picture gets a slap! It was funny once in the dim and distant past. It's not longer funny. Stop it. I mean it! ;-)

Im such a sucker. I went and bought it just to complete the collection. I did get the live tracks on CD 2 though.......

Back
Top Bottom