Why I fell out of love with Morrissey...

Velvis

Not a beginner

David Bowie's untimely death hit me really hard for some reason, I don't know why it affected me so much but it did. Bowie touched us all, his legacy will live on, I know that, the most influential artist since... well... ever.

Bowie was a massive influence on us all, including Morrissey.

I know they fell out, I have no idea what happened but surely when something tragic happens we should put any grievances aside, I think.

Morrissey waxes lyrical about Lyn (Rose Garden) Anderson, Ronnie Corbett and all and sundry, but can't find it in his heart to say something nice about Bowie?

The fact he can't do this has made the scales fall from my eyes, I suddenly see Morrissey in a different light. Suddenly I can't listen to him any more, I can't look at him any more, I'm very upset about this because I was always obsessed with Morrissey, always ready to defend the silly things he does, always loving the political (sometimes incorrect) views. I now see someone who is mean spirited and I don't like that.

Maybe I'll get over it but for now the love has gone... (sad face)

Didn't mozza fall out with Bowie because Bowie wouldnt let him use a photogragh for the art work of 'The last of the famous international playboys ' reissue ? ..

You are JUST NOW seeing Morrissey as calloused and spiteful? LOL

But really, his silence may be because it hit him too close to home. Did you ever consider that?

Also, he didn't owe Bowie anything. And he doesn't owe you anything, either.

Didn't mozza fall out with Bowie because Bowie wouldnt let him use a photogragh for the art work of 'The last of the famous international playboys ' reissue ? ..

Morrissey spent 20 years (1995-2015) slagging off Bowie.
So, not surprisingly, Bowie refused to let him use a photo...

his silence may be because it hit him too close to home.

It could be, and this is what I've felt all along. By now, though, Morrissey's silence to Bowie's passing is just old news. I'm guessing Morrissey has his reasons and maybe one day he'll explain.

Last edited:
No disrespect to Bowie but he is/was as vain and angry and truculent as Morrissey. To maintain great careers amongst the sharks in the music business you have to be. Morrissey vocalised his thoughts which is the only difference between the two. Morrissey is my Bowie.

Moz was so jealous of Bowie having a full set of hair all his life while Moz is fighting hard to assemble even the slightest birds nest. Men that lose part of the hair should always use a razor and sport a shaved head.

Moz was so jealous of Bowie having a full set of hair all his life while Moz is fighting hard to assemble even the slightest birds nest. Men that lose part of the hair should always use a razor and sport a shaved head.

yes, its so noticeable in the new Sammy video. its fascinating watching the bird nest move around the stage.

But that makes him so human.
I think he is aging gracefully and the fact that he is NOT sporting a shaved head and does not all the the things the very famous people do, like botox, eylifts and all those other unnatural things makes him more authentic and natural.
But off course he is vain. Everybody is. It's human. No big deal.
I don't trust people who say they don't care about clothing or how they look.
They say things like: people have to accept me for who I am and all that.
Many times they look awful and smell.
Nobody can be more vain.

David Bowie's untimely death hit me really hard for some reason, I don't know why it affected me so much but it did. Bowie touched us all, his legacy will live on, I know that, the most influential artist since... well... ever.

I know they fell out, I have no idea what happened but surely when something tragic happens we should put any grievances aside, I think.

Morrissey waxes lyrical about Lyn (Rose Garden) Anderson, Ronnie Corbett and all and sundry, but can't find it in his heart to say something nice about Bowie?

The fact he can't do this has made the scales fall from my eyes, I suddenly see Morrissey in a different light. Suddenly I can't listen to him any more, I can't look at him any more, I'm very upset about this because I was always obsessed with Morrissey, always ready to defend the silly things he does, always loving the political (sometimes incorrect) views. I now see someone who is mean spirited and I don't like that.

That isn't really a whole lot to stop loving someone over.

Get a life FFS. Boredom creates too much time for people to be obsessed with celebrities and all that superficial stuff. I get so flustered with people who take so much time bitching about what Morrissey said or did not say. He is a human being that does not answer to anybody else but himself. He does not owe anyone anything. I am happy that I can enjoy his music and anything else he is doing is strictly his business. What would you say to people who do not like your flaws and desperately try to change them. Do you know what it feels like to walk in his shoes... No wonder Morrissey likes animals more than humans. They do not criticize, scrutinize, gossip.

I've always enjoyed your posts here Velvis, and I could have written the very same thing.

Bowie was a once-in-a-generation talent: his work changed me, and he was an influence in my life before The Smiths were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Bowie's "final act" was the bravest, most generous and astonishing artistic statement I've ever witnessed. At the end of his life he was still testing his limits, and going to musical places where others could not follow. His death hit me hard, and I've been listening to his back catalog ever since; it overshadows nearly everything else.

Morrissey's actions of late have been the final nails in his coffin. His statement after Bataclan was reprehensible, but it is his refusal to acknowledge Bowie's passing that is the real testament to his shallow, petty nature. I haven't listened to him in quite a while; he's playing in my city later this month and I didn't even bother getting tickets.

Such a shame, too: Morrissey's talent was off-the-charts, and at his best he was goddamn glorious. I still check in here every once in a while to see if he's managed to pull out of his tailspin, but I hold out little hope.

No disrespect to Bowie but he is/was as vain and angry and truculent as Morrissey. To maintain great careers amongst the sharks in the music business you have to be. Morrissey vocalised his thoughts which is the only difference between the two. Morrissey is my Bowie.

He was but not past 40 . The fact Morrissey is like this in his 50s is pathetic .
I think Bowie's death did hit him hard but the only reason Bowie isn't mentioned is out of spite

I've always enjoyed your posts here Velvis, and I could have written the very same thing.

Bowie was a once-in-a-generation talent: his work changed me, and he was an influence in my life before The Smiths were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Bowie's "final act" was the bravest, most generous and astonishing artistic statement I've ever witnessed. At the end of his life he was still testing his limits, and going to musical places where others could not follow. His death hit me hard, and I've been listening to his back catalog ever since; it overshadows nearly everything else.

Morrissey's actions of late have been the final nails in his coffin. His statement after Bataclan was reprehensible, but it is his refusal to acknowledge Bowie's passing that is the real testament to his shallow, petty nature. I haven't listened to him in quite a while; he's playing in my city later this month and I didn't even bother getting tickets.

Such a shame, too: Morrissey's talent was off-the-charts, and at his best he was goddamn glorious. I still check in here every once in a while to see if he's managed to pull out of his tailspin, but I hold out little hope.

The best thing said in a long while .

I haven't listened to him in quite a while; he's playing in my city later this month and I didn't even bother getting tickets.

Such a shame, too: Morrissey's talent was off-the-charts

Bowie aside, I am interested in your thoughts as to why you aren't going. For me Morrissey's talent is off-the charts. He is in such great voice. Still as captivating as ever, but the set list he is carting around the world is dismal.

I read here all the time about people looking forward to New Order and The Cure concerts and I have seen them both and really enjoyed myself minus the ringing in my ears. I have also seen Psychedelic Furs and Echo and the Bunnymen and I will never forget that concert. The same place where I saw Moz even if his concert only lasted an hour. The energy from that concert kept me buzzing for days.

This idea of him having to play a greatest hits set list is a non-starter. Playing a few new tunes or those from his most recent release is expected, but to suck the life out of the middle of his show enough to give time for people to go to the bathroom, get a drink and catch a smoke (written by others here) is such a waste of his great talent.

He indulges himself and I guess he has earned the right to do so, but in a nutshell this is why I have fallen out of love with him. Bruce Springsteen just played over a four hour concert in my town, and although I am not that much into his music I can only be jealous of those that got to experience everything they could ever wish for.

And that is our lot in life...wishing for more...wanting more only now left with an unrequited love for what we will never get from him.

Last edited:
i was a bit upset too. such obstinance toward someone so infinitely likeable as bowie is just hard to wrap my head around. but then i remembered that mozzers obstinance is one of my favourite things about him. i hate that it turned out this way, but ultimately it hasnt ruined my love for him, and my desire to touch his eyebrow ridge and take part in witty repartee with him (him being the witty one of course) is mercifully still intact.

Back
Top Bottom