Why I fell out of love with Morrissey...

Maybe it irked Bowie when M declined to sing one of his new songs at the time 'Mr Ed.' But who the hell knows? not us.

Mr Ed is a horrible song. I'm glad Moz didn't cover it. Apart from that I think he and Bowie would have never become real friends because they are/were totally different people. "David Bowie feeds on the blood of living mammals" is Moz' description of Bowie profiting of the fame of younger popular artists. Moz wants to be famous because of himself and not because he collaborated with hip or massively popular artists. And I remember that Moz, at one point, felt that Bowie did the same to him.

I've always enjoyed your posts here Velvis, and I could have written the very same thing.

Bowie was a once-in-a-generation talent: his work changed me, and he was an influence in my life before The Smiths were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Bowie's "final act" was the bravest, most generous and astonishing artistic statement I've ever witnessed. At the end of his life he was still testing his limits, and going to musical places where others could not follow. His death hit me hard, and I've been listening to his back catalog ever since; it overshadows nearly everything else.

Morrissey's actions of late have been the final nails in his coffin. His statement after Bataclan was reprehensible, but it is his refusal to acknowledge Bowie's passing that is the real testament to his shallow, petty nature. I haven't listened to him in quite a while; he's playing in my city later this month and I didn't even bother getting tickets.

Such a shame, too: Morrissey's talent was off-the-charts, and at his best he was goddamn glorious. I still check in here every once in a while to see if he's managed to pull out of his tailspin, but I hold out little hope.

Corinthians 13:1

I'm surprised you have the courage & bravery to state this. Yes, his talent was 'off-the-charts' but increasingly it seems as if it was only ever intended to construct a flight-path to Fame, the irony of his demise being that he has singularly failed to achieve 'global, religious Fame', unlike David Bowie. In the UK he is notorious, infamous now as a media troll who once was a young contender. Outside the UK, the idea that he is genuinely 'famous' is absurd. There is nowhere on earth you can go where the image, music and words of Bob Marley don't resonate but there are vast swathes of the planet where absolutely nobody has ever heard of Morrissey which makes his desperate attempts to 'conquer new territories' even more sad.

As a lapsed Catholic I still believe in Sin and Redemption and I too also hold out hope that he will have an epiphany & recant his vile heresies such as Utoya, Bataclan & this shameful trolling of deceased Bowie. As it stands Morrissey leaves the stage a beclowned laughing stock, not only for his trolling of the above but for trolling Animal Liberation whilst eating bleeding Cheese and trolling Radical Queer culture whilst refusing to engage with a conversation about human sexuality that has changed utterly and irrevocably since he appeared in 1982. What was deftly coy & subversive then just seems like the antics of a sad closet case now.

We shall see. Who knows? It's all up to Johnny Marr now. If he blasts Morrissey in his Autobiography there will be no reunion of The Smiths no matter what depths of indifference Morrissey's career as a Smiths Tribute Singer falls to. I hope Marr does tell the truth and continue his personal odyssey of artistic regeneration as it may be the only thing that will finally, finally pierce the armour-plated vanity project that is now 'late Middle Age Morrissey'.

'BrummieBoy'

RIP Prince Buster.

It's strange because he spoke so highly of Iman in his autobiography. Even if he had a serious grudge with Bowie, it would have been, in the event of his death, diplomatic to set it aside because of one's regard for the spouse of the deceased. It's personality-disordered behavior, and extremely passive-aggressive. If he hated Bowie that much, he could have skipped the 2016 memorial slide show.

Corinthians 13:1

I'm surprised you have the courage & bravery to state this. Yes, his talent was 'off-the-charts' but increasingly it seems as if it was only ever intended to construct a flight-path to Fame, the irony of his demise being that he has singularly failed to achieve 'global, religious Fame', unlike David Bowie. In the UK he is notorious, infamous now as a media troll who once was a young contender. Outside the UK, the idea that he is genuinely 'famous' is absurd. There is nowhere on earth you can go where the image, music and words of Bob Marley don't resonate but there are vast swathes of the planet where absolutely nobody has ever heard of Morrissey which makes his desperate attempts to 'conquer new territories' even more sad.

As a lapsed Catholic I still believe in Sin and Redemption and I too also hold out hope that he will have an epiphany & recant his vile heresies such as Utoya, Bataclan & this shameful trolling of deceased Bowie. As it stands Morrissey leaves the stage a beclowned laughing stock, not only for his trolling of the above but for trolling Animal Liberation whilst eating bleeding Cheese and trolling Radical Queer culture whilst refusing to engage with a conversation about human sexuality that has changed utterly and irrevocably since he appeared in 1982. What was deftly coy & subversive then just seems like the antics of a sad closet case now.

We shall see. Who knows? It's all up to Johnny Marr now. If he blasts Morrissey in his Autobiography there will be no reunion of The Smiths no matter what depths of indifference Morrissey's career as a Smiths Tribute Singer falls to. I hope Marr does tell the truth and continue his personal odyssey of artistic regeneration as it may be the only thing that will finally, finally pierce the armour-plated vanity project that is now 'late Middle Age Morrissey'.

'BrummieBoy'

RIP Prince Buster.

RIP Prince Buster

I've always enjoyed your posts here Velvis, and I could have written the very same thing.

Bowie was a once-in-a-generation talent: his work changed me, and he was an influence in my life before The Smiths were a twinkle in anyone's eye. Bowie's "final act" was the bravest, most generous and astonishing artistic statement I've ever witnessed. At the end of his life he was still testing his limits, and going to musical places where others could not follow. His death hit me hard, and I've been listening to his back catalog ever since; it overshadows nearly everything else.

Morrissey's actions of late have been the final nails in his coffin. His statement after Bataclan was reprehensible, but it is his refusal to acknowledge Bowie's passing that is the real testament to his shallow, petty nature. I haven't listened to him in quite a while; he's playing in my city later this month and I didn't even bother getting tickets.

Such a shame, too: Morrissey's talent was off-the-charts, and at his best he was goddamn glorious. I still check in here every once in a while to see if he's managed to pull out of his tailspin, but I hold out little hope.
:pileofpoop: :thumbsdown::crazy:

Bowie aside, I am interested in your thoughts as to why you aren't going. For me Morrissey's talent is off-the charts. He is in such great voice. Still as captivating as ever, but the set list he is carting around the world is dismal.

I read here all the time about people looking forward to New Order and The Cure concerts and I have seen them both and really enjoyed myself minus the ringing in my ears. I have also seen Psychedelic Furs and Echo and the Bunnymen and I will never forget that concert. The same place where I saw Moz even if his concert only lasted an hour. The energy from that concert kept me buzzing for days.

This idea of him having to play a greatest hits set list is a non-starter. Playing a few new tunes or those from his most recent release is expected, but to suck the life out of the middle of his show enough to give time for people to go to the bathroom, get a drink and catch a smoke (written by others here) is such a waste of his great talent.

He indulges himself and I guess he has earned the right to do so, but in a nutshell this is why I have fallen out of love with him. Bruce Springsteen just played over a four hour concert in my town, and although I am not that much into his music I can only be jealous of those that got to experience everything they could ever wish for.

And that is our lot in life...wishing for more...wanting more only now left with an unrequited love for what we will never get from him.

I agree with most of what you said, however, lets not forget that maybe because of his current medical condition he was advised not to sing those high-pitch notes in some songs, the ones that require more effort - therefore, the slower, calmer songs are on his setlists. I quite frequently sing loud in my car to his songs and usually end up with a hoarse voice. It is not that easy as we imagine. Cmon, that man is sweating and giving all he can for who.... US
I am very appreciative of his art and will miss him when this all ends one day.
(sorry, for some reason my question mark and apostrophe dont work right now)

Mr Ed is a horrible song. I'm glad Moz didn't cover it. Apart from that I think he and Bowie would have never become real friends because they are/were totally different people. "David Bowie feeds on the blood of living mammals" is Moz' description of Bowie profiting of the fame of younger popular artists. Moz wants to be famous because of himself and not because he collaborated with hip or massively popular artists. And I remember that Moz, at one point, felt that Bowie did the same to him.
yessss:thumbsup:

I've come to the conclusion that David Bowie fans are even more insane than Morrissey fans. They are quite happy for Morrissey to be outspoken about every other subject; pour scorn, abuse and wish for the death of numerous celebrities, politicians and Royal Family members - but fail to issue a statement regarding their beloved idol's death, and they will quite happily drop him in the trash. You must worship at the altar of Bowie, and publically blow smoke up the great one's backside, or you are scum - we'll stop being fans, and shout out 'you c***!' at concerts.

Frankly - it's pathetic.

I've come to the conclusion that David Bowie fans are even more insane than Morrissey fans. They are quite happy for Morrissey to be outspoken about every other subject; pour scorn, abuse and wish for the death of numerous celebrities, politicians and Royal Family members - but fail to issue a statement regarding their beloved idol's death, and they will quite happily drop him in the trash. You must worship at the altar of Bowie, and publically blow smoke up the great one's backside, or you are scum - we'll stop being fans, and shout out 'you c***!' at concerts.

Frankly - it's pathetic.

It's a little weird. Hard to think someone is so important that they must be publicly praised

Biebs YOU really are a redundant troll. Not one post to your name
but you continue in troll fashion to rate others posts without any insightful comments on your part. Why is this
?

Hey Keta,

Just following up on your investigation here. It appears when looking at the red (negative) and green (positive) ratings giving by the subject, it appears the majority aren't negative. I don't know how that will affect you current investigation of this elusive poster but hope this help as it was exculpatory.

2dgsyz4.jpg

what ? his 26 positive thumbs up compared to his 55 redundant and 42 troll ratings? I don't what point you're trying to make.

My point is... that this ass has not made one contribution to this forum he just rates other peoples posts. I find it very very sad. He obviously needs help. One shouldn't be allowed to use the rating system unless they are also making post contributions to this forum. I now that sounds like a strange request/demand, but I find it stranger for a person to just troll like he is from the shadows.

And with every post you make on the subject, you're only encouraging her/him to persist. How stupid are you?

I think there are very, very few people that have someone they 'idolized' (don't really like that word), in this case Morrissey idolizing Mr. Bowie, go on to experience later in life to have that very same person cover one of their songs and sing on stage with them. That is something that has got to be pretty incredible to experience.

The truth of the matter is, we don't know why the Mozzer hasn't said anything publicly. My only two guesses are:

1) he knows his silence drives people nuts and does it for his own pleasure (narcissism)
2) it's just too hard for him, and very, very personal.

In this particular case, I will abstain from judging. When the death of someone is involved, it can be very personal, and how someone handles it is their business. Not mine.

not as stupid as you, because if you were to know that he's been doing it on and on long before I commented on it,
then you wouldn't post such a comment. Or would you? Meaning, that he will continue to troll me even if I don't comment and bring to light his mental deficiencies and trollish behavior. It is also a way for me to rate the rating system.

For possibly once maybe the second time ;) I agree with you here. I might suggest posting your thoughts on the Site Suggestions Forum to see if anything can be done here. If an anon cannot rate a post, it seems to be a glitch or an oversight that a registered non-poster can.

In any event, I have a crazy rabbit constantly rating my posts negatively, but then I simply consider the source and the distress melts away. Trolls, mozbots, hatebots, etc. all make this site an interesting place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live here. :D

not as stupid as you, because if you were to know that he's been doing it on and on long before I commented on it,
then you wouldn't post such a comment. Or would you? Meaning, that he will continue to troll me even if I don't comment and bring to light his mental deficiencies and trollish behavior. It is also a way for me to rate the rating system.

Seriously? You're concerned about how a completely unknown, anonymous stranger "rates" you on an Internet message board? Not much going on in your actual life? You might want to make that your main priority.

Nah, it would be fine if Bieber troll posted comments, but I'm afraid he's afraid if he did then that would reveal his true identity as another hatebot on this forum.

Though it would be interesting and fair if for every one rating you gave to a post, you would have to post two comments. Or a way to rate the rates ! :lbf:

O.k. Bieber troll what's it gonna be for this post? 'redundant'? 'troll'? off topic'? 'thumbs down' ? You have so many to choose from ! don't get too excited now or you'll wet your pants! what ? too late !?

I just posted my question to the forum. Blocking a poster should block their ratings. I think if we were to gather together, sit down, lock hands and protest this in the solo lobby the movement would stand a chance...or sit a chance at least :)

Or like the olympics we drop the highest and lowest scores to get a true rating ;)

Back
Top Bottom