Why Haven't You Downloaded YOR?

I downloaded it, simply because I couldn't wait. I also didn't want my first reactions to the record to be coloured by what people say on this forum. I wanted to make my own mind up.

But, I am still excited about the release date and will buy it the day of release because I still feel that I haven't really heard it. It's sort of like listening to a preview on myspace for me. The actual physical record is completely different.

I downloaded it, simply because I couldn't wait. I also didn't want my first reactions to the record to be coloured by what people say on this forum. I wanted to make my own mind up.

But, I am still excited about the release date and will buy it the day of release because I still feel that I haven't really heard it. It's sort of like listening to a preview on myspace for me. The actual physical record is completely different.

exactly. if people don't want to download it, that's fine, but i don't buy things like this is "stealing", "disrespectful for morrissey" or means "we [the downloaders] are not as fans as those who wait". the excitement whilst listening to new songs of an artist we love is always there, however and whenever you do it. it's irrelevant, i believe. music is not a physical thing anyway, it's not like photocopying a book instead of buying it. when i buy an album i think of it more like a piece of art, which i protect and take care of in a religious way - because i always end up ripping and listen to it in mp3 anyway, not to damage the record. but this is just me.. :)

I am still excited about the release date and will buy it the day of release because I still feel that I haven't really heard it. It's sort of like listening to a preview on myspace for me. The actual physical record is completely different.

I agree, There is a special feeling about holding a new Moz record - checking the pictures, the credits, the lyrics and listening to the album in all its glory :D

I am just an old fashioned guy who wants and will always go down the traditional way, why spoil all the fun now??
Cheers Moz

U-Decide if this true makes me justified in having downloaded Years:

Most of the people at my work hadn't heard of Morrissey or The Smiths before they started working there. But, because I've been there for longer than anyone else and I used to always play Morrissey/The Smiths, anyone who starts very quickly learns who he is and, almost as quickly, form an opinion of the man that will never change. My workplace officially became divided between those who love Morrissey, and those who loathe him.

I've recently started playing Years at work on a regular basis. The Morrissey fans obviously really like it, but the interesting fact is that all of the non-Morrissey fans like it too. In fact, one very anti-Morrissey fan was converted to Morrissey through listening to it, and now he's going to legally obtain all of his albums. All of the non-Morrissey fans have stated that they want to buy this album. One of them had no idea that we were listening to Morrissey, and just thought that it was some rocking indie album I was playing.

Also, I'm going to be buying a copy for myself on the day of release anyway. I haven't stolen anything, and nobody is loosing out on anything.

Interesting.

The fact that non-Morrissey and anti-Morrissey people really like YOR means that it is objectively a pretty good (if not great) indie album. :guitar:

Still, this is no justification for illegal downloading; you could have waited until the official release, and the same thing would have happened.

U-Decide if this true makes me justified in having downloaded Years:

Most of the people at my work hadn't heard of Morrissey or The Smiths before they started working there. But, because I've been there for longer than anyone else and I used to always play Morrissey/The Smiths, anyone who starts very quickly learns who he is and, almost as quickly, form an opinion of the man that will never change. My workplace officially became divided between those who love Morrissey, and those who loathe him.

I've recently started playing Years at work on a regular basis. The Morrissey fans obviously really like it, but the interesting fact is that all of the non-Morrissey fans like it too. In fact, one very anti-Morrissey fan was converted to Morrissey through listening to it, and now he's going to legally obtain all of his albums. All of the non-Morrissey fans have stated that they want to buy this album. One of them had no idea that we were listening to Morrissey, and just thought that it was some rocking indie album I was playing.

Also, I'm going to be buying a copy for myself on the day of release anyway. I haven't stolen anything, and nobody is loosing out on anything.

Alays good to hear stories of people getting converted into Morrissey fans. Good work, kaz! :)

I'm not downloading the album because it's illegal! Why would I want to be a criminal? There are no good arguments for downloading the album.
I really don't understand how people think... just because a lot of people commit a crime (in this case downloading) doesn't make it all right does it? Weird! What would happen if you apply that idea on other things in society as well? There would be chaos!

Breaking the rules from time to time is a liberating experience, you should try it. I'll tell you a secret: I also speed when no one is around, and I don't always signal a lane change. Incorrigible reprobate, yep that's me.:D

Breaking the rules from time to time is a liberating experience, you should try it. I'll tell you a secret: I also speed when no one is around, and I don't always signal a lane change. Incorrigible reprobate, yep that's me.:D

I jaywalk. I'm hell-bound for sure.

oh and when I'm feeling really naughty, I smoke within 15 feet of hospitals

The fact that non-Morrissey and anti-Morrissey people really like YOR means that it is objectively a pretty good (if not great) indie album. :guitar:

Exactly. If you forget for a moment that it's Morrissey, and you lose all of those associations and expectations that you would have for a new Morrissey album, what you end up with a very good indie rock album. Everyone at my work leaves the radio on X-FM if we aren't listening to somebody's iPod or CD. Most of the people at my work are white male twenty-somethings who listen predominantly to indie and rock. Years of Refusal is very much the Morrissey album for that kind of listener. I think that it has the capability to bring in a lot of young new fans in a way that none of his other albums have been able to for a long time, especially at a time when Morrissey has been constantly receiving praise from some very popular bands of today (The Killers, My Chemical Romance, Paramore, Fall Out Boy, and so on). Some people around here will go into violent rages of anger at hearing that, but I think that it's a great thing.

In regards to your second point, about downloading, you are very right. I downloaded it, I'm going to buy it because I think it's good and I like having the real copies of things, I don't care. It's all good. :)

I jaywalk. I'm hell-bound for sure.

oh and when I'm feeling really naughty, I smoke within 15 feet of hospitals

I am so turned on right now!:horny:

It is a relatively new concept, that an album can be available before it is officially released. It is because of changes in technology that this has occurred. In the past before we listened to digital music, you couldn't make an exact copy. It used to be a big deal when a band's live performance was broadcast on the radio, and people would sit there with their radio/cassette players and record the show. Sometimes these tapes would be dubbed/duplicated, with a loss of quality, and traded to friends, so they could also hear the King Biscuit Flour Hour.

Anyway...

The point is that things have changed. The experience of listening to music or watching movies has changed a lot with digital technology. It has given the consumer a lot more freedom, but some people think it has cheapened the whole experience. However, as record stores continue to fail and people buy music from Amazon and iTunes, younger people are not going to know what it was like to await the day a record was released.

If you are clinging to this, that's fine, but you're living in the past, really. The way you are doing things is going to become obsolete and unknown.

At the same time...

The ability to hear the new record for free before it is released may ALSO be a temporary thing. The only reason this is possible is because of the way the record is distributed. It is possible that the record companies will move away from the model they use now.

One way they could do this is to manufacture CD's that are encrypted and release the key on the release date. They might also release the record digitally in advance of the physical release. This would be the easiest thing to do right now, I think.

The point I"m trying to make is that there will be an adjustment made to offset this advance in technology that has worked in the consumer's favor. iTunes is starting to get the message that we don't need to buy digital files, and that we are just trying to be courteous, and they are working to change the way they sell music, to make it more attractive and worthwhile for the consumer.

Things are a little lopsided right now, but someone will figure out a way to fix it.

As far as some of the other arguments above saying that listening in advance is stealing, that just isn't true. It is only stealing if you don't pay. If you buy the CD when it is released, the fact that you had a copy beforehand doesn't seem to me like stealing.

(this thread has great tags) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Some consumers have more freedom.

Given how much some concert tickets cost nowadays, it would actually be a nice idea if they include the album when they send the tickets to you. :)

You are fully aware of freedom of choice, yet damanding freebie is not right.

Do you think it would be wrong to send CDs to people that they did not ask for?

Your question is totally different issue.

If people didn't ask a CD, but someone sent one with no strings attached, it's perfectly alright.

No one is forced you to buy YOR, but if you like Morrissey you'd like to have a copy, wouldn't you?

Earlier I said it's not a guilt issue that I haven't downloaded it.
I prefer to listen to a proper CD because of the sound quality.

I don't want to go into this too much, because I bought the tickets and I will buy the album. Nevertheless the inflation rate has been immense if you look at ticket prices during the past 5 years. I heard they try to compensate decreased album sales due to illegal downloads. If this is true, then this would mean that I pay for the illegal downloads that other people do and for my legal purchases.

Again you misunderstand ticket price, CD sales and illegal downloading.

Morrissey started his career in 1982, he's gifted enough to continue to make a living in the industry.

Someone posted U2's concert ticket price is higher than Morrissey's which explains some other bigger bands exploit the situation more than Morrissey.

I'm eagerly looking forward to my first YOR listening experience, holding the booklet in my hand, reading the lyrics, watching the artwork, ecetera pepe...roll on Feb. 13!! I don't want to spoil this pleasure by prematurely downloading it, thats the only reason for me.

Yes, I'm old-fashioned :o.

Time. Now or later, it doesn't matter. I'm not as impatient as those who must hear it now.

There is now less money to be made from CDs. Most downloads are illegal and the companies are giving up on trying to hold back the tide. They do want to protect their profits, and so touring, merchandise, revenue from music used in adverts and airplay are of greater importance. The touts push up the price of tickets, releasing a few tickets at a time creates the illusion of scarcity, driving up prices. Reserving tickets for agencies that sell on at a profit..... is it illegal for any of these agents to be owned by the record companies, or artists. Probably.:confused:

I'm not convinced by the "everyone does it, so why not me?" argument.

I'd like to have the CD in my hands when I play it. Electronically stored media is always vulnerable to sudden loss. Crashes, viruses, theft, etc..

Regardless of the above, the musicians worked hard to produce the album and deserve the reward. Hopefully the business will change in that the artist gets a bigger slice of the reward. It's few artists who make a comfortable living out of their talents, though the cult of celebrity would have you believe otherwise..

Tags
dave's behind 7 proxies tinfoil hat
Back
Top Bottom