Why Haven't You Downloaded YOR?

I have been reading some of the interviews/posts etc. over the last couple of weeks and it seems that he respects and appreciates his fans.

So, why not do the same for him?

I have the greatest respect for Morrissey as an artist and human being trying to make something that is viable and from his heart.

Call me sentimental, but I would think that his seasoned fans would see it the same way?

Besides, it is stealing, why mess with the man's livelihood?

:confused::confused:

The free stuff is often better quality than iTunes, though I read that iTunes is trying to lower prices, remove DRM, and offer better quality, and in mp3 as well.

However, you're still buying a compressed file and it's not the same as a CD. But I mostly listen to mp3's anyway, and on my computer, even though I have a decent stereo with turntable.

Point is, iTunes is a scam. If that is how you are going to purchase the record, or if you are going to listen to mp3's of it, you might as well get it now.

It is disappointing to open Christmas presents early but a record is different, in my opinion. The RIAA announced they won't be busting people anymore anyway, and are leaving it up to your Internet Service Provider. These people try to sell you faster service with more download capability. What do they think you are doing with it? Do they care?

The only way I could see them caring is if you set up your computer as a sort of server and had it operating to use your full bandwidth at all times. Otherwise, they don't want to bust you and it only takes a couple of minutes to download an album, so they aren't going to jump on you for it.

Always use PeerGuardian, though, and remember to update it, just in case. This is a program you should run whenever you are downloading. It is easy to set up and use.

I have been reading some of the interviews/posts etc. over the last couple of weeks and it seems that he respects and appreciates his fans.

So, why not do the same for him?

I have the greatest respect for Morrissey as an artist and human being trying to make something that is viable and from his heart.

Call me sentimental, but I would think that his seasoned fans would see it the same way?

Besides, it is stealing, why mess with the man's livelihood?

:confused::confused:

Some restaurants make you pay before you eat and at others you pay after. If you sit down and eat before you pay, are you stealing until the time you pay?

this assumes that everyone that downloaded will also buy it. I will and I'm sure many people will.

Don't you remember back in the old days when you went down to the record store at midnight excited to get the new record? The feeling of anticipation is lost if you can simply just go out and steal the record over the inernet.

If you like Morrissey, buy the music.

Downloading available songs(excluding bootlegs/live sets) is downright lazy and proves you won't pay the entertainer for the entertainment.

I don't believe people when they say "I plan to buy the record when it comes out"

My reason is quite simple: I don't download ANYTHING. I don't even have a downloading/file sharing program on my computer. I used to years ago (on my old computer), however, I feel that over time, it becomes a safety issue more than anything (what with viruses and all). So when I got my new computer, I just went the safe route and decided not to do downloads at all.

Plus I prefer actual CDs over digital music. Call me crazy (or old-fashioned)!

I did download it, but it gave my computer a horrible virus that I can't get rid of, so I deleted all the tracks before I got to listen to them. Didnt' work, though.

Thanks Morrisey! ;)

I did download it, but it gave my computer a horrible virus that I can't get rid of, so I deleted all the tracks before I got to listen to them. Didnt' work, though.

Thanks Morrisey! ;)

The beckoning finger of fate! :eek:

To answer the question: I don't do illegal downloading. And, I prefer the thrill of getting my hands on the cd for the first time.

Some restaurants make you pay before you eat and at others you pay after. If you sit down and eat before you pay, are you stealing until the time you pay?

this assumes that everyone that downloaded will also buy it. I will and I'm sure many people will.

I respect musicians and artists so for me to take something as free that they earn their bread and butter on is just wrong.

The example of a meal at the end somewhat of a misplaced analogy.

Food is an art form, in some arenas, but it is something that is temporary and you pretty much "eliminate" the end product, sorry to be graphic.

You can bring home memories or mementos from your meal but the experience is fleeting and there is never the same meal again. You pay for a one time experience, maybe my point is weak.

What I am trying to say is music is an art form - something that stays with you and is recorded for all time. Even if you experience one thing from it, you at least go back and look at the product, experience the music, analyze the "product" - gain new experiences from listening and experiencing the music. It is not a one time experience - it is not eliminated and forgotten. It is more tangible than something that passes through your system. (On the other hand, there is Brittany Spears...ahem) What I am getting at is I think that comparing a meal with music doesn’t seem to make sense.

Sorry, maybe I am not making sense. Music to me is more of an art form and comparing it to something as simple as buying something at McDonalds is degrading the artist and the value of th art :tears:

U-Decide if this true makes me justified in having downloaded Years:

Most of the people at my work hadn't heard of Morrissey or The Smiths before they started working there. But, because I've been there for longer than anyone else and I used to always play Morrissey/The Smiths, anyone who starts very quickly learns who he is and, almost as quickly, form an opinion of the man that will never change. My workplace officially became divided between those who love Morrissey, and those who loathe him.

I've recently started playing Years at work on a regular basis. The Morrissey fans obviously really like it, but the interesting fact is that all of the non-Morrissey fans like it too. In fact, one very anti-Morrissey fan was converted to Morrissey through listening to it, and now he's going to legally obtain all of his albums. All of the non-Morrissey fans have stated that they want to buy this album. One of them had no idea that we were listening to Morrissey, and just thought that it was some rocking indie album I was playing.

Also, I'm going to be buying a copy for myself on the day of release anyway. I haven't stolen anything, and nobody is loosing out on anything.

:rolleyes:

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM......... you do have a valid point.

Converting the lost/ignorant/non believers by playing the music is a good way of getting the Morrissey message across.

It can be used as a tool for enlightenment so to speak.

I just have issue with people who don't pay for it on any level, I guess.

I guess it depends on the situation. At least you will pay for it at sometime!

:D

I've downloaded lots of music, including Morrissey stuff (bootlegs, rare tracks, etc.) but when it comes to a new Morrissey album, for that first listening I want to hear it play off of CD for the quality (mp3s are okay later), with the booklet in my hands, looking at the images etc.

Morrissey is the only artist I keep this "primitive" brick and mortar ritual alive for, so why stop now? I do the same with singles though if it's like Paris, I'm only going to buy CD1 and d/l the CD2 b-side (on iTunes or for free if necessary) -- I'm not that insane.

Also, I'm going to be buying a copy for myself on the day of release anyway. I haven't stolen anything, and nobody is loosing out on anything.

Downloading illegally a copy of the album, without the consent of the authors, months before the official release date isn't stealing? You are going to pay for the hard copy - but not the version you downloaded. Or are you just going to take it from the shop, without paying for it? Why would that be different?

I'd love if people wouldn't try to find all kinds of excuses for having downloaded the album. You downloaded it because you wanted to. I could've done it too, but I decided not to. That's all.

Last edited:
Quite right, it's starkly illegal, even if a lot of people do it , and they can justify it in their own mind. Which begs the question of when it is wrong to break the law - in my book only when it's morally right to do so, and I don't think this gets anywhere near. It's categorically the case that by downloading it, and publicising it, some people (maybe not you) won't buy it, and that deprives the owner of the music of his reward. You have stolen from him, even if you then buy the CD/legal download.

It's interesting to me that some moderators of this site are openly saying that they too downloaded it (I apologise in advance if I've got that wrong), and on another thread one of them notes that solo is no longer linked on morrissey's new site.

It's interesting to me that some moderators of this site are openly saying that they too downloaded it (I apologise in advance if I've got that wrong), and on another thread one of them notes that solo is no longer linked on morrissey's new site.

It is interesting indeed, especially because it's so clearly violating the TOS:

"# upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;"

It is interesting indeed, especially because it's so clearly violating the TOS:

"# upload, post, email, transmit or otherwise make available any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party;"

blahblahblahblah:p telling tales again?:p

Hi all! I'm new to this board, so this will be my first post : )

I'm not downloading the album because it's illegal! Why would I want to be a criminal? There are no good arguments for downloading the album.
I really don't understand how people think... just because a lot of people commit a crime (in this case downloading) doesn't make it all right does it? Weird! What would happen if you apply that idea on other things in society as well? There would be chaos!

Besides, it's much more fun buying a new record the day it comes out and go home, look through the artwork, listen to it, and make it a little more special than just downloading some crappy mp3 files and play them in the computer.

I've downloaded lots of music, including Morrissey stuff (bootlegs, rare tracks, etc.) but when it comes to a new Morrissey album, for that first listening I want to hear it play off of CD for the quality (mp3s are okay later), with the booklet in my hands, looking at the images etc.

Morrissey is the only artist I keep this "primitive" brick and mortar ritual alive for, so why stop now? I do the same with singles though if it's like Paris, I'm only going to buy CD1 and d/l the CD2 b-side (on iTunes or for free if necessary) -- I'm not that insane.

I am exactly the same. I didn't download (never do) but this week I have heard the album at a friend´s place (they tricked me! :p:D;))- my first impression was great - seemed very cinematic but now I am waiting for the release to listen to it again (and again...).

p.s-my friend is going to buy it as well, but I imagine not everybody does it and that is not right! :(

1. Because I've been a professional musician for most of my adult life and, while I respect the anarchic ideal behind pirated music, I also understand what it is to carefully record, produce and assemble a final recording, only to have it carelessly spread around without my consent. Solidarity.

2. I am a bit of a studio geek, and hi-fidelity is very important to me. I want that first listen to be as pristine as possible (even though my sound system sucks :().

3. I am a hopeless romantic.

Tags
dave's behind 7 proxies tinfoil hat
Back
Top Bottom