Why doesn't Mozzer release stand-alone singles anymore?

Maverick

Maverick
Following on from my earlier thread, i got thinking that one of the favourite things i liked about Morrissey's early solo career was the single-only releases he brought out, songs like Pregnant For The Last Time & Sunny (and even Boxers if you don't count the WOM compilation).

Why do you think Mozalini has stopped releasing these stand alone singles? They acted as nice fillers between albums.

Following on from my earlier thread, i got thinking that one of the favourite things i liked about Morrissey's early solo career was the single-only releases he brought out, songs like Pregnant For The Last Time & Sunny (and even Boxers if you don't count the WOM compilation).

Why do you think Mozalini has stopped releasing these stand alone singles? They acted as nice fillers between albums.

i thought you would of known.

Because they don't make record companies any money. He has a hard enough time getting an ordinary record deal let alone also persuading them to release singles that are going to bankrupt them.

There is no need for pathetic, snidey comments like 2 of the above. People may not agree with my views on my other thread, but why start petty namecalling?

Seriously, though, with record companies and physical records going the way of personal responsibility and the telegraph machine, I can foresee a resurgence in EPs and singles. If people are only going to download one song at a time, why bother to offer them twelve at a time? I'm sure there are economies of scale involved, but I would rather have two new Moz songs every other month than twenty every two and a half years.

Seriously, though, with record companies and physical records going the way of personal responsibility and the telegraph machine, I can foresee a resurgence in EPs and singles. If people are only going to download one song at a time, why bother to offer them twelve at a time? I'm sure there are economies of scale involved, but I would rather have two new Moz songs every other month than twenty every two and a half years.

Yeah but with the chart rules being the pathetic joke they are these days, 4 track ep's aren't eligible for the charts anymore. Something to do with "putting too much pressure on artists" or something stupid.

Pressure? Pathetic.

Yeah but with the chart rules being the pathetic joke they are these days, 4 track ep's aren't eligible for the charts anymore. Something to do with "putting too much pressure on artists" or something stupid.

Pressure? Pathetic.

You mean they're not eligible for album charts? That's my point, the album format is obsolete.

Individual singles could be tagged with an "album" identity so that people with enduring interest could reassemble them and listen with an ear for the larger theme, but many people do not care to do this anymore.

In the days of 78s, "albums" were literally books in which the records were kept. Bringing back this collector's aesthetic could cater to both the single song downloaders and those listening to an artist over time.

You mean they're not eligible for album charts? That's my point, the album format is obsolete.

Individual singles could be tagged with an "album" identity so that people with enduring interest could reassemble them and listen with an ear for the larger theme, but many people do not care to do this anymore.

In the days of 78s, "albums" were literally books in which the records were kept. Bringing back this collector's aesthetic could cater to both the single song downloaders and those listening to an artist over time.

No, they are not eligible for anything - Coldplay & Erasure have both released longer format "singles" in recent years - they simply don't chart anywhere. A 4-track E.P. would just be released and then that would be it.

No, they are not eligible for anything - Coldplay & Erasure have both released longer format "singles" in recent years - they simply don't chart anywhere. A 4-track E.P. would just be released and then that would be it.

Oh. What about a two-track single? How does Morrissey manage the net-four-song three-version single releases, where do they fit in? An end-pass around those rules? And how do iTunes releases factor in?

I know nothing about the record industry except what I've gleaned as a consumer for thirty years. It's not my business.

Oh. What about a two-track single? How does Morrissey manage the net-four-song three-version single releases, where do they fit in? And end-pass around those rules? And how do iTunes releases factor in?

I know nothing about the record industry except what I've gleaned as a consumer for thirty years. It's not my business.

I think - and i may be wrong - that the rules are that singles can only be available in 3 formats, with no more than 3 tracks per format.

i cannot explain the "sunny" release but "pregnant for the last time" and "my love life" were released after his first tour, when shows were selling out in minutes. that might have helped.

i don't. i love listening to albums.

I think - and i may be wrong - that the rules are that singles can only be available in 3 formats, with no more than 3 tracks per format.

I remember buying "maxi-singles" a while back, some of them up to 6 songs. It's probably up to the label, but adding b-sides, live recordings, interviews would sell better maybe. Now that I think about it, I remember getting a Clan of Xymox single with something like 12 songs on it (all stupid remixes).

Back
Top Bottom