why doesnt morrissey set up his own record label?

speedfreaks ball

psychobilly member
hes a multi multi millionaire, if he really cares about the music industry why not? how hard can it be? or buy the rights to an old one?

Because then he would never be able to claim that his music genius was not promoted the right way, he was not managed properly or anything like that.

In all honesty though, he may be smart enough to realize that he would not be any good at running a label. For example, I have enough money to go to med school. It does not necessarily mean that I would make a good doctor. However, I can recognize a good doctor against a bad one.

Because then he would never be able to claim that his music genius was not promoted the right way, he was not managed properly or anything like that.

That's actually an excellent point, which I had not thought of. Interesting.

I have enough money to go to med school.

...And enough ego to drop that fact into an analogy that would have worked just as well without it. But it is a good analogy in this case, nonetheless.

None of this has anything to do with how much money Morrissey has. Many artists with a fraction of Morrissey's wealth run their own labels or release things independently, online or otherwise. This revolves around the fact that a) he wants things to be done for him, b) he wants someone to pass the blame to when the songs/albums don't sell as well as he'd like them to (he's been doing this since DAY ONE) and c) he doesn't have the business savvy to take care of these things. Look at all the people he's swindled, all the shows he's cancelled, all the promotional appearances he's flaked out on, all the managers he's blown through, the band members and co-writers he's polarized...Christ almighty, the guy has the professionalism of a door to door vacuum salesman. Can you really see him steering the entire ship?

let boz sort it out for him, didnt the polecats have a hand in their on record label at one time?

does morrissey just need an output then? he cant need a big money deal, what does he spend his money on?apart from old diana dors dvds and the odd fruit salad

Strange indeed that someone who wants/requires so much control would be so unwilling to seize it. He could easily make an album and hire a distributor. The 'someone to blame' theory seems a tad unkind, but I can't imagine why else he wouldn't go the independent route.

and he may want the record label to be responsible for taking the loss when he doesn't generate enough sales to cover costs

Back
Top Bottom