Why does The Cure hate Morrissey?...

M

Moz Gurlie

Guest
And why does Morrissey hate the Cure?
Can someone give me insight into why?

love,
Moz Gurlie
 
G

Garry

Guest
Why not, indeed!

I can only speak for myself... the cure are a slapdash bunch of hopeless morons, worthy of an expletive or two.

this wasn't a public information bulletin-the head.
 
S

Spicer

Guest
> Why not, indeed!

> I can only speak for myself... the cure are a slapdash bunch of
> hopeless morons, worthy of an expletive or two.

> this wasn't a public information bulletin-the head.

Robert Smith has always been pathologically jealous of Morrissey's unearthly charisma. I mean, how many people have scrambled with bouncers to get over barriers to hug and kiss the Lipsticked one? In this case ONE would be too many. Robert doesn't have charisma full stop.

The Cure have played to too many empty concert halls to find Morrissey in anyway endearing. To add insult to injury not one of their albums were mentioned in the Q (brit mag) 100 top albums of all time two years. 'The Queen is Dead' and 'Viva Hate' did superbly in this poll.

So Muppet head who can't sing and can't apply lip stick, everyone has cottoned on to the fact that you are the biggest phoney in the world! You want people to think you live a bedsit in Camden Town, but we all know you are a complete middle class twat who lives somewhere in the Home Counties. The record buying public sussed you out a long time ago. Even Siouxie booted you out of the Banshees when she found out you weren't REALLY one of them! Good riddance Robert Smith, you will never be missed, even by your own fans.
 
G

Get me away from here i'm dying

Guest
pissed off

> And why does Morrissey hate the Cure?
> Can someone give me insight into why?

> love,
> Moz Gurlie

I dont think he hates them so much that he's probably sick to death of people comparing the two bands.....after all they competed on the charts from the early 80's on.For the most part when people say they are a smiths fan people assume that they are a cure fan too.....wouldnt that piss you off?
 
G

Geasetea sleepytime cocoa

Guest
Re: I don't know about that but Robert Smith is looking ugly nowadays

Is that his chin or his ass? That cleft thing is looking like a rotten peach as the years go by and the latest release just plainly sucks. I am angry I even bought the damn thing. But oh how I love The Squeeze..they never dissapoint me. It's true, it's true you know.

While Moz has aged creepily (he looks like Moe from the simpsons), Smith has aged horribly.

And Boz, get a damn dentist already! I swear James Cameron used you to model for the evils in his Pirahna2 flick.
 
J

Jesse

Guest
> And why does Morrissey hate the Cure?
> Can someone give me insight into why?

> love,
> Moz Gurlie

I read an interview once where Robert Smith said that he didn't like Morrissey because he was so fake. A lot of people have accused Morrissey of that, and I think that they have a point. He's a bit over-the-top sometimes, but I think his real fans love him for it rather than hate him. Moz has such a wonderful self-deprecating sense of humor. I guess I just identify with him...The Cure and the Smiths are my favorite groups, along with Joy Division and New Order, the Clash and the Pixies. I think the new Cure album is great, contrary to the views of someone else who responded to this question. It's much better than Wild Mood Swings.
 
G

Get me away from here i'm dying

Guest
> I read an interview once where Robert Smith said that he didn't
> like Morrissey because he was so fake. A lot of people have
> accused Morrissey of that, and I think that they have a point.
> He's a bit over-the-top sometimes, but I think his real fans
> love him for it rather than hate him. Moz has such a wonderful
> self-deprecating sense of humor. I guess I just identify with
> him...The Cure and the Smiths are my favorite groups, along with
> Joy Division and New Order, the Clash and the Pixies. I think
> the new Cure album is great, contrary to the views of someone
> else who responded to this question. It's much better than Wild
> Mood Swings.

I'm just glad one of my friends bought that new cure album so i didnt have to waste any money on it(total crap).....i think robert smith died after kiss me kiss me kiss me, and they replaced him with keith richards(notice how creepy they both look....brothers seperated at birth?)
 
J

Jesse

Guest
now i'm not trying to argue here, i'd just like to let it be known that the Cure's disintegration album is one of my all-time favorites (the one after Kiss Me). But...to each his own. Might I just say that I don't dislike you just because you dislike the Cure.
 
C

Cili

Guest
Wrong.

> Robert Smith has always been pathologically jealous of
> Morrissey's unearthly charisma. I mean, how many people have
> scrambled with bouncers to get over barriers to hug and kiss the
> Lipsticked one? In this case ONE would be too many. Robert
> doesn't have charisma full stop.

That's ridiculous. I don't know if you realize this, but Robert Smith is more of an icon, musically and culturally, than even Morrissey is. The Cure have been writing music since 1975. The Cure are one of the biggest and most enduring bands around, and if you consider the unique type of music they write, that's amazing. The Cure is another of those phenomenon-type bands which seem to operate on another level, separate from all other bands. Therefore they too--like Morrissey--seem exempt from pretty much all the things which rule that they should have disappeared years ago.

It's also ridiculous to even try to compare Robert Smith with Morrissey. They're not connecting with their fans in the same way. To say that Robert Smith is somehow a lesser star than Morrissey because fans don't physically attack him during Cure shows is ludicrous. It just shows that you're speaking with half a perspective--at least in this instance. Robert Smith is very charismatic, but the type of charisma he exudes is different than the type Morrissey exudes. Do you know why? Because they're two different people. I just thought I'd let you know of this very simple fact which you've seemed to overlook.

> The Cure have played to too many empty concert halls to find
> Morrissey in anyway endearing.

Mmm, excuse me? I believe you need to read up on the demand for Cure shows around the world. It's pretty impressive considering they're a 25 year-old band.

> To add insult to injury not one
> of their albums were mentioned in the Q (brit mag) 100 top
> albums of all time two years. 'The Queen is Dead' and 'Viva
> Hate' did superbly in this poll.

That's true. Q Magazine is God.

> So Muppet head who can't sing and can't apply lip stick,
> everyone has cottoned on to the fact that you are the biggest
> phoney in the world!

Have you read any of Robert Smith's interviews--especially any recent ones? I've followed the Cure from before I even knew who the Smiths were, and I was floored by the utter honesty that he's been speaking with lately. There are times when he seems like a child, and at others, he seems so wise--because he's so honest with himself. And he couldn't have written all the Cure's wonderful music the way he has, if he was a phony as you say.

> You want people to think you live a bedsit
> in Camden Town, but we all know you are a complete middle class
> twat who lives somewhere in the Home Counties.

I believe you're thinking of Damon Albarn.

> The record buying
> public sussed you out a long time ago.

If you'd been to the two pre-tour shows that I'd been to, I think you'd be singing a different song.

> Even Siouxie booted you
> out of the Banshees when she found out you weren't REALLY one of
> them!

Oh come on, do you even know why he left the Banshees?

> Good riddance Robert Smith, you will never be missed, even
> by your own fans.

That's a paradoxical statement.


 
H

hnia

Guest
> now i'm not trying to argue here, i'd just like to let it be
> known that the Cure's disintegration album is one of my all-time
> favorites (the one after Kiss Me). But...to each his own. Might
> I just say that I don't dislike you just because you dislike the
> Cure.

I have to say too, that disintegration, wish and bloodflowers are great albums.

hnia
 
S

Sheelagh Delaney

Guest
Re: Wrong.

> That's ridiculous. I don't know if you realize this, but Robert
> Smith is more of an icon, musically and culturally, than even
> Morrissey is. The Cure have been writing music since 1975. The
> Cure are one of the biggest and most enduring bands around, and
> if you consider the unique type of music they write, that's
> amazing. The Cure is another of those phenomenon-type bands
> which seem to operate on another level, separate from all other
> bands. Therefore they too--like Morrissey--seem exempt from
> pretty much all the things which rule that they should have
> disappeared years ago.

> It's also ridiculous to even try to compare Robert Smith with
> Morrissey. They're not connecting with their fans in the same
> way. To say that Robert Smith is somehow a lesser star than
> Morrissey because fans don't physically attack him during Cure
> shows is ludicrous. It just shows that you're speaking with half
> a perspective--at least in this instance. Robert Smith is very
> charismatic, but the type of charisma he exudes is different
> than the type Morrissey exudes. Do you know why? Because they're
> two different people. I just thought I'd let you know of this
> very simple fact which you've seemed to overlook.

> Mmm, excuse me? I believe you need to read up on the demand for
> Cure shows around the world. It's pretty impressive considering
> they're a 25 year-old band.

> That's true. Q Magazine is God.

> Have you read any of Robert Smith's interviews--especially any
> recent ones? I've followed the Cure from before I even knew who
> the Smiths were, and I was floored by the utter honesty that
> he's been speaking with lately. There are times when he seems
> like a child, and at others, he seems so wise--because he's so
> honest with himself. And he couldn't have written all the Cure's
> wonderful music the way he has, if he was a phony as you say.

> I believe you're thinking of Damon Albarn.

> If you'd been to the two pre-tour shows that I'd been to, I
> think you'd be singing a different song.

> Oh come on, do you even know why he left the Banshees?

> That's a paradoxical statement.

If you are a fan of the Robert Smith than the above seems to be quite correct. I'll be honest I am partisan, biased, impartial maybe even prejudiced. I'll even confess to liking Boys Don't Cry and Close To Me, yes they The Cure were interesting, entertaining, and Ultra Cool in the early 80's but we move on, we grow up, get a job and buy a CD player. The big diffence between Moz and Robbo, is that Moz has developed into a mature man and artist after the trauma of splitting up with a very successful group. When I see Robert Smith, I just see some saddo who just hasn't grown up full stop. No self respecting 40 year old would attempt to look the way they did when they were 18. He's spoilt brat who needs a kick in the rear end as far as I'm concerned.

As for charisma, there is no such thing as different types of charisma, you either charismatic or you're not, if that's your line of argument than everyone is charismatic. The charisma I'm talking about is where people feel they have been 'healed' by listening to The Smiths and Morrissey, if you go to the site 'To Die By Your Side' you'll see some very touching stories there from people of all age groups and different nationalities. The Cure in my book are no more charismatic than REM or New Kids On The Block.
 
C

Cili

Guest
Robert Smith (no Morrissey content)

> The big diffence
> between Moz and Robbo, is that Moz has developed into a mature
> man and artist after the trauma of splitting up with a very
> successful group. When I see Robert Smith, I just see some saddo
> who just hasn't grown up full stop.

I disagree entirely, and I feel that, again, that was coming from a person who's stopped following the Cure and is holding opinions based upon old presumptions; many of which are probably either misinformed or incorrect today. If you think Robert Smith hasn't grown up, I feel that you need to listen to the lyrics on songs like "Out Of This World," or "Where the Birds Always Sing," to name a couple. Listen to the sentiment behind a song like "The Big Hand." Try reading a recent interview of his. If you don't want to spend money, stop at your nearest Tower Records and pick up a free copy of Pulse--the one with Robert's pretty face on the cover. Read that interview, then try telling me that that man hasn't grown up. He's unpretentious and fully aware of his place in life now as a man, rather than a pop-star/icon. He seems to now approach life as a man who writes songs, rather than as "Robert Smith of the Cure." I don't even feel that he believes in the mythical being singing on stage anymore--which was why he took on that creature character persona in the first place. Just in case you don't know, he's said that he's always liked the idea of looking up on stage and seeing a character; something to believe in and be entertained by, much like the men in KISS. It just so happened that Robert Smith's character became an icon, an image to which the band itself became bound.

> No self respecting 40 year
> old would attempt to look the way they did when they were 18.

I'm sort of continuing my last thought here. He's in a sense, locked into wearing the costume--the Cure uniform as it were--now. Robert Smith knows fully well that without the make-up and hair, it wouldn't be the Cure. So you can't really blame the man for putting on the lipstick, because it's become part of the job of performing as the leader (and symbol) of the Cure. I'd very surprised if, for his solo album, he's seen even resembling the Cure creature.

Also, if you're insinuating that he's trying to cling to adolescence, you definitely should try reading an interview or two. His age, his place in life as a 40 year old man, his coming to terms with the pointlessness of life... all these things are why "Bloodflowers" even exists; and it's why I've come to respect him a bit more lately.

> He's spoilt brat who needs a kick in the rear end as far as I'm
> concerned.

That's actually what I like about him. He's lived a fairy tale life. He's never had a proper job, he married his high school love, no kids, world-wide fame, fortune, icon-status... I like the fact that, because of this incredible life, he has a unique perspective on life and existence--which is very absurd (Camus' "absurd," not Webster's dictionary's "absurd").

> As for charisma, there is no such thing as different types of
> charisma, you either charismatic or you're not,

Well, either you perceive a person as charismatic or not, but two people can exude different charms. Morrissey, to me, carries a sophisticated and classical, self-taught-genius type charm. He seems a proper Englishman, yet he's a liberal artist. I feel that Robert Smith is more of a rougher, uncultivated genius type; he just reeks of promise and potential, while Morrissey makes you feel like he's flying high and strong at all times. Morrissey makes you feel like he knows it all, yet doesn't show it. Robert Smith makes you feel like he might know it all, he might not, but he isn't bothered either way about it because nothing matters very much--THAT he knows. [Laughs] I find, in Robert Smith, that boyish, rudimentary intellect coupled with time-worn experience and wisdom extremely charming.

> if that's your
> line of argument than everyone is charismatic.

Actually, anyone CAN be charismatic, but they are only if you feel they are. It's quite simple for me really.

> The charisma I'm
> talking about is where people feel they have been 'healed' by
> listening to The Smiths and Morrissey, if you go to the site 'To
> Die By Your Side' you'll see some very touching stories there
> from people of all age groups and different nationalities.

Oh, I believe that the lives the Cure's music has saved has greatly helped curb the Heavenly population, if I may sound like an optimist for a moment. I feel that the music from bands like the Smiths and the Cure endure because they touch upon something, almost intangible, deep within people. It's no wonder why people feel "healed" by it. There's a reason why so many kids fell so deeply in love with the Cure and its image. I do believe that it was much more than simply fan adoration; their musics--at least during certain times--became necessary.

> The
> Cure in my book are no more charismatic than REM or New Kids On
> The Block.

Well, to each his or her own. [Shrugs] I understand that everyone will have differing opinions, but I just wish statements and criticisms would be made while informed. Then again, I'm guilty of the very same thing, so... oh well. I like the Cure.


 
Top Bottom