Why does Morrissey mention he was a 'fat kid' at some point in the past

littlefishy

when he has commented on having quite an athletic physique at school?

For instance, on the song 'All you need is me' he says

"I was a small, fat child in a council house
There was only one thing I ever dreamed about
And Fate has just
Handed it to me - whoopee"

When Kirsty Young asks if this is true on Desert Island Discs, he confirms.

And on a 2005 interview speaking about Alan Bennett:

"I was the dull, fat kid in spectacles sitting in a Manchester council house who caught the first transmission of his plays in 1978-1979 and I was thunderstruck because it was the first time I'd seen what I pitifully considered to be my sense of humour on screen... He's so terribly funny that when he writes a line full of biting sadness it cuts through all the more. I also like the fact that he doesn't seem to envy or even much care for other writers."

:confused: I'm just really confused as to why he says he was a fat kid when he wasn't. If you look at pictures of him when he was younger, he was obviously in shape. Maybe he just means he had the 'fat kid mentality' of feeling alienated and apart from everyone else. I know this isn't terribly important but I'm just curious as to why he says this.

Last edited:
Re: Why has does Morrissey mention he was a 'fat kid' at some point in the past

[damn I made a right mess of the topic title]

And Fate has just

"I was the dull, fat kid in spectacles sitting in a Manchester council house who caught the first transmission of his plays in 1978-1979 and I was thunderstruck because it was the first time I'd seen what I pitifully considered to be my sense of humour on screen... He's so terribly funny that when he writes a line full of biting sadness it cuts through all the more. I also like the fact that he doesn't seem to envy or even much care for other writers."

:confused: I'm just really confused as to why he says he was a fat kid when he wasn't. If you look at pictures of him when he was younger, he was obviously in shape. Maybe he just means he had the 'fat kid mentality' of feeling alienated and apart from everyone else. I know this isn't terribly important but I'm just curious.

Why everything Morrissey writes has to be non-fiction?

It's simply wording, no offence intended, I suppose.

And Fate has just

:confused: I'm just really confused as to why he says he was a fat kid when he wasn't. If you look at pictures of him when he was younger, he was obviously in shape. Maybe he just means he had the 'fat kid mentality' of feeling alienated and apart from everyone else. I know this isn't terribly important but I'm just curious as to why he says this.

Because "I was a small, rubenesque child in a council house" didn't roll off the tongue well? I dunno. :p

Why everything Morrissey writes has to be non-fiction?

It's simply wording, no offence intended, I suppose.

Did you miss the part about him saying it in the Desert Island Discs interview?

Simple answer: He has admitted he lies, often out of convenience.

Slightly more complicated answer: It was a great fabrication to add to his personal mythology.

Really complicated answer: Maybe he was a "pudgy" youngster and got teased for being fat, so he always thought of himself as a fat child (even though it may have just been "baby fat" that dropped away when he had his growth spurt).

Who knows? Why does he say that if you are not a vegetarian you are a "murderer"?

We're not dealing with a guy too grounded in reality. This trait works both for and against him.

he's a fat kid in the here and now. 200 pounds of shitty adolescence right there, charlie. solly, but it's true.

He's not fat
That is a perfectly normal physique for a man of his age
Do you expect him to have the same wirey frame that he did at 20?

About the fat thing, I suspect he says he was a fat kid, because I dunno, maybe he was a fat kid.
Not everything he says needs to be scrutinized to such a degree

Because it would fit in with his image.

John Malkovich was a fat kid before he went on an all jello diet for 3 months. He says he liked his pb&js and just kept eating.
He has a lot of great stories about making his own clothes out of the American flag and being bullied as a kid.
Maybe Moz was competing with lying Robert Smith and his glorious farm owning claim because he liked milk so much.

Back
Top Bottom