Why does Morrissey leave out a whole decade of his work when playing live this year?

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
I've made many posts on this topic, but never approached the question directly in this manner. Most of us are in agreement that the 1990s was more fruitful creatively than the current decade, so why do people think there are only two or three songs representing it in the current setlist? With Smiths classics gradually creeping their way into the set, I know a lot of us are pining for Speedway and the like when we go to see him this month and in October and November. What are the chances, and if slim, why so?

Re: Why does Morrissey leave out a whole decade of his work when playing live this ye

Maybe as it was a years of refusal tour, not a general or greatest hits tour, he was focussing largely on the new stuff ? But I do agree, more early moz would've been greatly appreciated, still excellent though I thought. :)

Re: Why does Morrissey leave out a whole decade of his work when playing live this ye

i don't know...when I go to see an artist I like to listen to his last work. I'm not a nostalgic person. I was very happy to listen to a lot of songs from YOR.

He didn't?

Weren't all these from the early 90s???

The Loop
Seasick Yet Still Docked
Why Don't You Find Out For Yourself
Best Friend On The Payroll

All 1992 - 1995.

You can't expect every tour to have an even spread, but if you look at what he's played since 2000 overall I'd expect it to be a fairly good representation of his career.

I've made many posts on this topic, but never approached the question directly in this manner. Most of us are in agreement that the 1990s was more fruitful creatively than the current decade, so why do people think there are only two or three songs representing it in the current setlist? With Smiths classics gradually creeping their way into the set, I know a lot of us are pining for Speedway and the like when we go to see him this month and in October and November. What are the chances, and if slim, why so?

Moz is chart/sales obsessed. He genuinely believes that his post 2004 solo stuff is his strongest. This explains the setlist of recent years, and the baffling inclusion of tons of recent third rate singles in last year's Greatest Hits album, and the general exclusion of his much superior 1990's output.
It's not just the 1990's stuff he's excluding but the fantastic 88/89 solo stuff.
Sadly, it would require him to take a few years off and have a fresh perspective on his solo output to realise that Quarry, ROTT and YOR are actually not that great (despite their commercial success - well for Quarry and ROTT at least)...

i don't know...when I go to see an artist I like to listen to his last work. I'm not a nostalgic person. I was very happy to listen to a lot of songs from YOR.

I think we'd all expect lots of YOR. it's the current album, so fair enough. I'm looking forward to hearing those songs tonight. but it's the vast number of 2004-2008 songs at the expense of the pre 2004 solo stuff which is the most baffling...

Good call Maurice E, I remember asking the same rough question after seeing him in Belfast earlier in the year.

7 Quarry songs I think it was, more than I heard when I went to see the Quarry tour!

I think he just picks the songs he wants to sing. I doubt it has anything to do with which songs he feels are 'best'.

Singing is as much a physical thing as it is an aesthetic expression. Some songs just feel good to sing.

I can't sing for shit, but I always belt along to 'I'm Okay by Myself'. Whereas, as much as I love 'It's Not Your Birthday Anymore' it feels awkward and uncomfortable to sing.

I wouldn't mind if he pulled just a little more from RoTT than he currently is..I think 'I Will See You In Far-Off Places' and 'Dear God Please Help Me' sounded brilliant on that tour, and also 'In the Future When All's Well' wouldn't go amiss..I think if he were to play these live a little more, RoTT would more stick in our heads as the essential Moz album that it is..That's just my opinion. :blushing:

I would much rather hear Speedway than Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others.
In fact (as said on my blog - http://maybe-this-is-it.blogspot.com) I'd rather have had less Smiths and more early Moz.

Then again, it's all personal choice, eh? He's got a massive back catalogue to choose from - it'd be impossible to please everyone at once...

He's never done Come Back To Camden.I'd die to hear him sing it live.

well, he played Seasick, B Budd and Best friend tonight so he obviously reads these threads!

Maybe his worry is that if he plays loads of 90's stuff, he'll start to come across as a nostalgia act. Hell, if he plays loads of 90's stuff, he will be a nostalgia act.
Then again, first time I saw Morrissey live, the way they butchered Suedehead was enough for me to hope it never got played again. And this from someone who has liked every incarnation of 'the lads'.

I'm starting to bore myself saying this, but I really don't see how anyone can complain about his setlists. I would imagine most bands only rehearse 20/30 songs tops for a tour. After the first few shows, you'll be dreaming if you expect a massive change.

I couldn't agree with you....
Unfourtunely, you're wrong... The 90's had great songs and albums, are you saying that YATQ and YOR aren't good albums?
For exemple, "Kill Uncle" isn't representative, howere its tour were very important, because it was the first REAL TOUR since The SMiths.

But I do believe that current years are more "fruitful creatively" than 90's.

Maybe his worry is that if he plays loads of 90's stuff, he'll start to come across as a nostalgia act. Hell, if he plays loads of 90's stuff, he will be a nostalgia act.
Then again, first time I saw Morrissey live, the way they butchered Suedehead was enough for me to hope it never got played again. And this from someone who has liked every incarnation of 'the lads'.

I'm starting to bore myself saying this, but I really don't see how anyone can complain about his setlists. I would imagine most bands only rehearse 20/30 songs tops for a tour. After the first few shows, you'll be dreaming if you expect a massive change.

he plays tons off Smiths songs so nostalgia is clearly not preventing him playing 1990's stuff.
what baffles is that he also plays tons of post 2003 songs but virtually nothing between the two eras...

He's never done Come Back To Camden.I'd die to hear him sing it live.

ah, the 'fan favourite'. I'd die to hear 'birthday'.
There is too much smiths. I'd rather hear two more off the new album.

he plays tons off Smiths songs so nostalgia is clearly not preventing him playing 1990's stuff.
what baffles is that he also plays tons of post 2003 songs but virtually nothing between the two eras...

That did confuse me somewhat.
I think I actually prefer early solo stuff to Smiths stuff. Although I never really got the appeal of 'How Soon is Now?' until I heard it live on Sunday...

well, he played Seasick, B Budd and Best friend tonight so he obviously reads these threads!

Argh, sounds like the third night got a particularly good setlist, just my luck that it was the night i didnt go to ha :rolleyes:

I have a theory about why there are so many Smiths songs in the set by the way,:
I think Jesse spends his evenings in the back of the tour bus with his 'Complete Smiths Songbook' & 3/4 sized student Fender.
Every few weeks, he'll tug the man's sleeve,

'Mr Morrithey, Mr Morrithey! I learned anuvver one.'

'Well done son, have a biscuit.'

Back
Top Bottom