Why does it seem like everyone hates ROTT ?

I love it too and rate it on a par with Vauxhall. I like the density of the instrumentation too, I think it's a strength rather than a weakness. It means you're always hearing new things in the songs.

As for the explosive kegs line, some of us like Morrissey precisely because he comes out with lines that make you cringe. :) I like an artist to be challenging and surprising. Tasteful is boring.

Quarry's lyrics made me cringe often in a bad way. He went on too much in some songs about how awful it was being a famous popstar. ROTTs lyrics are far more universal, I identify with them much more.

The people that hate it now will love it in 10 years.

Just look at Southpaw Grammar.

As many people have commented, it all comes down to musical taste, but personally I adore ROTT. I think it is by far and away one of the 5 best albums of the decade so far. I'm a big fan of ambient, electronica and shoegaze, which may explain why I find the dense, lush production so enthralling. Visconti is a genius and it shines through on this record. And I nearly passed out with pleasure when I heard Morricone's orchestration of "Dear God..." Lyrically it stands up to most of his solo work, i.e. inferior to The Smiths era, but still miles better than any other mainstream artist.

On the other hand...

Quarry is cheaply produced, musically drab and lyrically vapid. It is full of naff-pop radio-friendly ear-guff and there isn't one track on it which bears repeated listening. First Of The Gang... is catchy alright, but so is Maggie May. Catchy doesn't equal good. The whole record just reeks of crappy come-back pop record.

Coiff.

I love ROTT! Moz and Visconti are the pairing I've wanted since Mick Ronson passed. It's logical they work together given their histories. Look forward to the next album with Visconti on board as well. That said "People Grow Up" didn't really do it for me. No worries though Mozzer usually in the end gets the job done!

I love this album, like I love all of his albums. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. There are thousand and thousands of artists out there, and I wouldn't waste my time visiting a forum dedicated to one of the countless thousands that are just 'alright'.

I love this album, like I love all of his albums. If I didn't, I wouldn't be here. There are thousand and thousands of artists out there, and I wouldn't waste my time visiting a forum dedicated to one of the countless thousands that are just 'alright'.

I don't think you necessarily have to love all of his albums to qualify as a fan. I try not to compare his work with that of other artists, but I do think many bands have made albums far superior to Quarry. If anything, being a fan gives you more of a right to analyse and critique someone's work.

Coiff.

Of course, I appreciate that you can't like everything all of the time, and that being a fan can make you more critical if anything because of the sheer expectation.
But, speaking personally, I don't think he's got it in him to release something that I don't adore.

Bring back Steve Lillywhite

I wrote a lot that I didn't like ROTT, cause it's like, 'I heard that tune already'...,10-in-a-pack songs.
Morrissey should've made more work out of it, the Album came to soon
after Quarry, and it's tour

ROTT means also that Tobias is finished as a co-writer, he failed, his
songs , the ones he co-wrote are beyond average, it's because of
Morrissey's lyrics and voice that saves it a bit.
Tony Visconti is just a name, anyone could've done it, it was the place of the recording [Morricone's studio] which gave that particular sound

As someone already wrote, bring back Alain, and I bet Gary can write a
better tune than Jesse

oh yeah, did I write already that Steve Lillywhite must produce the next
album?

I instantly fell in love with Ringleaders. Quarry, not so much. Loved the packaging of Quarry, but the music didn't pull me in. Ringleaders on the other hand I played nonstop for several weeks after purchasing. I now this doesn't add much to the discussion, but I thought I'd just mention I happen to love Ringleader.

I have to agree that it seems as if anything new is generally poo pooed by the die hard old school fans of any musician.

Well, I'm a relatively new fan, and I don't have much time for RotT. Musically it's bland, lyrically uninteresting, and only "Pigsty" comes anywhere near Moz at his best. Listening to it just feels like a slog, waiting for a good song that never comes. And it produced a mediocre batch of singles.

Well, I'm a relatively new fan, and I don't have much time for RotT. Musically it's bland, lyrically uninteresting, and only "Pigsty" comes anywhere near Moz at his best. Listening to it just feels like a slog, waiting for a good song that never comes. And it produced a mediocre batch of singles.

I completely agree with everything you said.

I like Quarry a lot better. I played them both recently to sort of compare, and because I hadn't heard them in a while. ROTT's songs are better live, I agree. I heard the explosive kegs song live and when he got to that line, I was thinking, "he's really going to sing that..."

ROTT has some good songs, but the immediacy of "Far Off Places" which I Loved when it first leaked, has worn off, and some of songs, I never really cared for that much, like "the father who must be killed".

Pigsty, The youngest was the most loved, are great. I"m not too much into "Dear God Please Help Me" or "At Last I am Born" though it is better live. I hate to say that about Visconti. It was really exciting to hear the record, and I do think it's pretty good if you look at it as a project, but to sit and listen to it straight through, it's not that entertaining. I had downloaded the whole thing way before I bought it, and I didn't open the CD when I got it for a few months.

I hate to say bad things about it. He's doing great work now, with two of the last three songs being pretty good to great, and I love Ganglord.

It just doesn't work for me as a record that I would put on and clean the house or something, and it's almost the last Morrissey record I would play for a friend that didn't know his music. And Quarry, with it's hit songs and pop production, not my favorite, but it might be the first I'd play to show someone what Morrissey sounds like.

i don`t really hate rott but, i like you are the quarry a lot more ,but still there`s some good songs on rott,like:the youngest was the most loved,to me you are a work of art (i love the lyrics i think they`re beautiful)i will see you in far off places,and you have kill me, which i really love in fact is one of my favorite songs of all time, but some other songs i don`t really like much for example: life is a pigsty,on the streets i ran,i`ll never be anybody`s hero now i mean i don`t like the lyrics much i believe that you are the quarry has better lyrics also i like the musical arrangements :)

"you have killed me" is great. I'm listening to other music now so it's hard to write about ROTT and I forgot that one. It's great.

Most people slag on about ROTT , yet never seem to back up their derision with any meaningful comments or reasons why they think it sucks .

Here is your chance to tell us all why you think ROTT is shite .

I actually love this album , i thought it was some of his better work , the malaise and pain is so much more generalized and mature .

shite? aren't you american? seriously. there is nothing more pathetic than an american pretending he/she is british and using british slang. i don't know if you know this, but just because you're a morrissey fan, that doesn't make you british. f***ing idiot.

ROTT was actually the first Morrissey album I bought. I really love it. It possibly could be my favourite. I think everyone has different opinions. For example Vauxhall and I is one of my least favourite albums.

ROTT was not my first Moz album but I love it too and Vauxhall is one of my least favs also, so agreed!

shite? aren't you american? seriously. there is nothing more pathetic than an american pretending he/she is british and using british slang. i don't know if you know this, but just because you're a morrissey fan, that doesn't make you british. f***ing idiot.

PISS OFF WANKER

British people use American slang fairly often where I am, so it works both ways. I don't think it's necessarily an imitation attempt either. Some words have just crossed over, through the media, music, etc.Some stay the same but mean slightly different things, eg in my experience, "awesome" has a far more powerful meaning in the UK than in America. Some people I know use American spelling out of habit. You're getting worked up for no reason.

Back
Top Bottom