Why do you come here? (when you know it makes things hard for me)

ACTON

Don't Leave Us In The Dark
Why do you come to Morrissey-solo.com?

Usually just to get the latest news about Morrissey. But in the last few weeks I check this site at least twice a day hoping to see a story about Moz getting a new record deal. I wish him only the best.

Why do you come to Morrissey-solo.com?

Usually just to get the latest news about Morrissey. But in the last few weeks I check this site at least twice a day hoping to see a story about Moz getting a new record deal. I wish him only the best.
Same reason I read Playboy.....for the "articles" :thumb:

me? to troll of course. Who's this Morisey person anyways?

.... 'Our souls,our souls,our souls' !!!! ;)

Morrissey's life and career seems to be one massive, self-inflicted car-crash, and I find staring at the wreckage endlessly fascinating.

because i love The Smiths (i also use tumblr for the same reason btw) and a few moz solo tunes. Also, because is funny to see how moz stans get so annoyed by trolls and/or different opinions ;)

I come here every few days to catch up on any Moz news that may be happening.

Sometimes I leave feeling angry or a bit down after reading one of the negative bile filled posts that some people here like to write.

I'd like to know why the Morrissey haters come here. Do you feel better about your own life after pointing out perceived Morrissey flaws? Do you feel good if you upset someone like me who admires Morrissey? I genuinely would like to know.

Morrissey's life and career seems to be one massive, self-inflicted car-crash, and I find staring at the wreckage endlessly fascinating.

Who dosent. Is the next best thing after laughing straight in his face then kicking him in the crotch. Dont worry Morrissey wont feel anything, hes quite the Ken doll

I come here every few days to catch up on any Moz news that may be happening.

Sometimes I leave feeling angry or a bit down after reading one of the negative bile filled posts that some people here like to write.

I'd like to know why the Morrissey haters come here. Do you feel better about your own life after pointing out perceived Morrissey flaws? Do you feel good if you upset someone like me who admires Morrissey? I genuinely would like to know.
As someone who does post critical things about Morrissey here (without ever verging into the ugliness seen in many troll posts of the death threat/homophobic variety), maybe I can provide some perspective.

Often, part of being a fan and passionately loving an artist and their work is the displeasure one feels on the occasions when said artist does something one finds disagreeable, whether it's a dud album, questionable personal statements or behavior, or something else. It is only natural then to want to express that displeasure. I suspect a lot of the most hateful trolls as well as the more measured and reasonable critics here were once passionate Morrissey fans who have soured on him for one reason or another, and in some cases might even feel betrayed by him for letting them down. That might seem silly, but it is often the nature of fandom and is certainly not a phenomenon exclusive to Morrissey fans.

In my case, I'm an enthusiastic fan of Morrissey's music, but my thoughts on the man himself are much more complicated. I think he's an extremely fascinating person, but also a very problematic one. Just as loving every single piece of work an artist produces is not requisite for being a fan, accepting everything they ever say or do isn't either. There are often times I find Morrissey to be funny, charming, entertaining, intelligent, sensitive...all things that often come across in his lyrics, which have kept me rapt and spellbound for years. However, in the many instances I find him to be none of those things, whether it's via incendiary, shortsighted, hyperbolic press statements, stunts like "f*** Harvest" t-shirts, stories of odious behavior from peers and former collaborators, or something else, I see no reason why expressing my misgivings when he says or does something I find objectionable should be verboten in a place designated for the discussion of Morrissey, especially if done in an articulate manner. I see a lot of people assert that Morrissey doesn't need to "answer" to fans like me, and while that may be the case insofar as I am not his master, it doesn't change the fact that the things each of us say and do have consequences and will inspire response, and the idea that Morrissey is somehow beyond reproach so critics can just stuff it, as if he were an infallible demigod, is both dangerous and utterly absurd.

Having said all this, although I have been disappointed by him in many ways and many more ways to come, I'm sure, I am still sufficiently interested in Morrissey to continue engaging with other fans, buying his new releases, seeing him in concert, and hoping for new material (be it music, writing, or something else). I enjoy WPINOYB, especially the refreshing new directions in sound and production, and would love to hear more adventurous music from him. What a lot of people seem to have trouble grasping is that for many, myself included, being a fan is conditional. What I love I will love wholeheartedly and defend, but what I don't, I won't, and I shouldn't have to pretend otherwise to pacify fans who would rather no one ever object or rock the boat.

Last edited:
When i discovered Morrissey some time ago and wanted to know more things about him i always ended up reading this forum because here you can find all the news. I used to visit the forum on a daily basis but i wasn't registered then i decided to become an active user. I'm 22 and i live in a country where a lot of people listen to crappy music, i don't know anyone with whom i can talk about music i like and this forum seemed to me a good place to meet other passionate fans and to share opinions about Moz and his world. Even if there are some rude people here it's great to have a little space dedicated to an artist i really admire: i think that everyone has the right to express an opinion, but in a constructive way! Being a fan doesn't mean accepting everything Morrissey does/says, disagreements are normal but who comes here to insult Morrissey and his fans is miserable.

Last edited:
As someone who does post critical things about Morrissey here (without ever verging into the ugliness seen in many troll posts of the death threat/homophobic variety), maybe I can provide some perspective.

Often, part of being a fan and passionately loving an artist and their work is the displeasure one feels on the occasions when said artist does something one finds disagreeable, whether it's a dud album, questionable personal statements or behavior, or something else. It is only natural then to want to express that displeasure. I suspect a lot of the most hateful trolls as well as the more measured and reasonable critics here were once passionate Morrissey fans who have soured on him for one reason or another, and in some cases might even feel betrayed by him for letting them down. That might seem silly, but it is often the nature of fandom and is certainly not a phenomenon exclusive to Morrissey fans.

In my case, I'm an enthusiastic fan of Morrissey's music, but my thoughts on the man himself are much more complicated. I think he's an extremely fascinating person, but also a very problematic one. Just as loving every single piece of work an artist produces is not requisite for being a fan, accepting everything they ever say or do isn't either. There are often times I find Morrissey to be funny, charming, entertaining, intelligent, sensitive...all things that often come across in his lyrics, which have kept me rapt and spellbound for years. However, in the many instances I find him to be none of those things, whether it's via incendiary, shortsighted, hyperbolic press statements, stunts like "f*** Harvest" t-shirts, stories of odious behavior from peers and former collaborators, or something else, I see no reason why expressing my misgivings when he says or does something I find objectionable should be verboten in a place designated for the discussion of Morrissey, especially if done in an articulate manner. I see a lot of people assert that Morrissey doesn't need to "answer" to fans like me, and while that may be the case insofar as I am not his master, it doesn't change the fact that the things each of us say and do have consequences and will inspire response, and the idea that Morrissey is somehow beyond reproach so critics can just stuff it, as if he were an infallible demigod, is both dangerous and utterly absurd.

Having said all this, although I have been disappointed by him in many ways and many more ways to come, I'm sure, I am still sufficiently interested in Morrissey to continue engaging with other fans, buying his new releases, seeing him in concert, and hoping for new material (be it music, writing, or something else). I enjoy WPINOYB, especially the refreshing new directions in sound and production, and would love to hear more adventurous music from him. What a lot of people seem to have trouble grasping is that for many, myself included, being a fan is conditional. What I love I will love wholeheartedly and defend, but what I don't, I won't, and I shouldn't have to pretend otherwise to pacify fans who would rather no one ever object or rock the boat.

Agree wit you BUT there's just one thing which irks me enormously about fan criticism (not only regarding Morrissey). It's the way in which it is often presented as 100 percent fact which, in any case, no one can be sure of. Sometimes I miss the acknowledgement that we may know everything but then probably know nothing. It would be perfect if critiscm about an artist would be made with slight vagueness BECAUSE we may not have the whole picture of a certain situation. So, the arrogance of some fans that they know the artist better than people who actually know him is quite annoying sometimes. But that is probably the way it goes in fandom.

to kill time with other fans who might be like minded about other things

In my case, I'm an enthusiastic fan of Morrissey's music, but my thoughts on the man himself are much more complicated. I think he's an extremely fascinating person, but also a very problematic one.

being a fan is conditional. What I love I will love wholeheartedly and defend, but what I don't, I won't, and I shouldn't have to pretend otherwise to pacify fans who would rather no one ever object or rock the boat.

I came here to get info on my Morrissey/smiths collectables in my attic from the 80’s and 90’s. I stuck around for my blog and some giggles. Detritus did a very fine job explaining what is very close to my experience and probably for most members of the forum. I don’t mind the ketamine’s, tyatuna’s, benny’s or brummies (both extremes). At least they are consistent in their statements. What I really don’t like is bullies, shaming, and baiting. The site is pretty calm now but when I came on, I was disgusted. I surmised that this mistreatment of members was merely mirrored from the same statements to negatively view and mistreat others as Morrissey states and wishes on others. You know, the Morrissey statements that universally solve nothing, make the world fight more and shut down communicate by offending rather than expressing salient points.

To add to the above and this is sincere. Morrissey has turned into a joke for the most part. But even in life, we still love some people close to us, even if they make an ass out of themselves. I think Morrissey’s life probably sucks horrendously to this day, beyond what any of us could possibly imagine (when he is alone, and not in the “stage is my only life”). Or, it is total shtick and he is fleecing everyone. I don’t even know which of the two would be worse.

I think it was easier to just be connected to the music in the eighties. I knew nothing about Morrissey’s f***ed up mental problems, because it wasn’t fed to me every minute with forums, internet etc. I really connected personally to the music and that satisfied me. Ive grown up and cherish that time.

What if I wanted more than the music and wanted a connection to the man in the eighties. I couldn’t have had it then for lack of information about him. Today, you get the music, and every other person’s perception of Morrissey tangled up with Morrissey’s juvenile proclamations, which I as an average person, read as a call to hate. This is tiresome from someone who is in such a tremendous position to inspire outside the music. For the people I look up to, I don’t want them conjuring in my head images of someone being hacked up because of some meat belief or issue. And frankly, that has a weird, call to arms terrorist style kind of subliminal message.

I want to be a good - member of my community, husband, father, and to myself. At this I will continue to strive, but it wont be at Morrissey’s urging or influence. Its one thing to touch on a universal negative in music and still have a great life (I can think of a few artists who accomplish this). But all evidence suggests to me that his life (reality) is full of negativity.

So, to wrap up, I have a deep connection to my youth with the music. I got just enough info to relate to, that it seized my soul and gave me a companion. Morrissey was so awesome at that with just the music. But I can see, if I had laid all my emotional eggs in Morrissey’s basket for anything in life other than the music, I can see how a fan could be distasted from the negativity. I don’t hate Morrissey. But it is interesting that SOLO makes it so easy to see just how far he has fallen from the grace I gave him in my youth. That makes me a little sad for him actually.

Often, part of being a fan and passionately loving an artist and their work is the displeasure one feels on the occasions when said artist does something one finds disagreeable'

...Don't think M needs another mommy or daddy to kiss or poo-poo his every move. Or does he need to justify his every action in word or deed. But being one who does enjoy (and that's putting it lightly) listening to THAT voice.. All's I ask of him is that he continues making those records. And if he doesn't... then ...Stop the world...and LET ME OFF !!! :)

Last edited:
I came here to get info on my Morrissey/smiths collectables in my attic from the 80’s and 90’s. I stuck around for my blog and some giggles. Detritus did a very fine job explaining what is very close to my experience and probably for most members of the forum. I don’t mind the ketamine’s, tyatuna’s, benny’s or brummies (both extremes). At least they are consistent in their statements. What I really don’t like is bullies, shaming, and baiting. The site is pretty calm now but when I came on, I was disgusted. I surmised that this mistreatment of members was merely mirrored from the same statements to negatively view and mistreat others as Morrissey states and wishes on others. You know, the Morrissey statements that universally solve nothing, make the world fight more and shut down communicate by offending rather than expressing salient points.

To add to the above and this is sincere. Morrissey has turned into a joke for the most part. But even in life, we still love some people close to us, even if they make an ass out of themselves. I think Morrissey’s life probably sucks horrendously to this day, beyond what any of us could possibly imagine (when he is alone, and not in the “stage is my only life”). Or, it is total shtick and he is fleecing everyone. I don’t even know which of the two would be worse.

I think it was easier to just be connected to the music in the eighties. I knew nothing about Morrissey’s f***ed up mental problems, because it wasn’t fed to me every minute with forums, internet etc. I really connected personally to the music and that satisfied me. Ive grown up and cherish that time.

What if I wanted more than the music and wanted a connection to the man in the eighties. I couldn’t have had it then for lack of information about him. Today, you get the music, and every other person’s perception of Morrissey tangled up with Morrissey’s juvenile proclamations, which I as an average person, read as a call to hate. This is tiresome from someone who is in such a tremendous position to inspire outside the music. For the people I look up to, I don’t want them conjuring in my head images of someone being hacked up because of some meat belief or issue. And frankly, that has a weird, call to arms terrorist style kind of subliminal message.

I want to be a good - member of my community, husband, father, and to myself. At this I will continue to strive, but it wont be at Morrissey’s urging or influence. Its one thing to touch on a universal negative in music and still have a great life (I can think of a few artists who accomplish this). But all evidence suggests to me that his life (reality) is full of negativity.

So, to wrap up, I have a deep connection to my youth with the music. I got just enough info to relate to, that it seized my soul and gave me a companion. Morrissey was so awesome at that with just the music. But I can see, if I had laid all my emotional eggs in Morrissey’s basket for anything in life other than the music, I can see how a fan could be distasted from the negativity. I don’t hate Morrissey. But it is interesting that SOLO makes it so easy to see just how far he has fallen from the grace I gave him in my youth. That makes me a little sad for him actually.

Must be 'nice' to be 'good' or even 'want' to be good to 'be a part of the community,husband.father,' mother,lover,ETC... But please don't shed a tear for those of us who have gone astray from your 'good' world. For you see... it's not that easy. And to even find the desire to be 'nice' or 'normal'. Or to feel any empathy with a world that's dying if not already dead. Well I don't think you're one to see or ever know. Call yourself .. blessed. Call yourself ...cursed. It's not for me to say.

But I will say, I feel sad for you and yet a bit curious of how it must feel to want to be good in a good world(as if there is such a thing). And, ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERpWw-BLUfI

Last edited:
Must be 'nice' to be 'good' or even 'want' to be good to 'be a part of the community,husband.father,' mother,lover,ETC... But please don't shed a tear for those of us who have gone astray from your 'good' world. For you see... it's not that easy. And to even find the desire to be 'nice' or 'normal'. Or to feel any empathy with a world that's dying if not already dead. Well I don't think you're one to see or ever know. Call yourself .. blessed. Call yourself ...cursed. It's not for me to say.

But I will say, I feel sad for you and yet a bit curious of how it must feel to want to be good in a good world(as if there is such a thing). And, ....... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ERpWw-BLUfI

Someone make a Candide joke already my heads exploding over here

I do feel blessed. Maybe it is a curse. To be clear I'm not trying to shit on morrissey, it is probably very hard for him to have a grain of happiness under this modern day, everyone can criticize world. Life is hard and relentless, whether you have nothing or a lot. It's complicated on both sides of the spectrum. It's work, but work that has to get done for a life. No one is excused from the hardships, even me.

And thank you for the response, it is probably the most real thing you have written that I have read.

Someone make a Candide joke already my heads exploding over here

....then explode, my friend. SMOKE..... AND.... EX....PLODE !!!

and while you're down there.. kiss my... KEGS. Ain't it just..... DYNAMITE ? ;)

I do feel blessed. Maybe it is a curse. To be clear I'm not trying to shit on morrissey, it is probably very hard for him to have a grain of happiness under this modern day, everyone can criticize world. Life is hard and relentless, whether you have nothing or a lot. It's complicated on both sides of the spectrum. It's work, but work that has to get done for a life. No one is excused from the hardships, even me.

And thank you for the response, it is probably the most real thing you have written that I have read.

really? 'the most real thing you have written that I have read.' really real? or just plain old fashion 'real'? Hey we all know Norman ROCKS-well but to take a stroll in 'reality' THAT'S NOT MY BAG ,ya see?And anyways, who comes here to be 'real'? most come here to make things hard for you when they come they come in a real world in which it's hard to be 'false' But this world being what it is... just some intangible hologram farted from some Omni being's over mind...who knows what? And hey, I'm here... like my masters.. TO...DESTROY! real? real/ly ? ;) x10.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom