Why do people dislike "All the Lazy Dykes"?

P

Po-faced Cunt

For me, it's probably among the best songs on the album (along with I Have Forgiven Jesus and Crashing Bores). How can people not love it?

they should hear through their ears - please!

> For me, it's probably among the best songs on the album (along with I Have
> Forgiven Jesus and Crashing Bores). How can people not love it?

I'm scratching my head right along with ya. It's definitely one of the highlights on the album.

I'm especially baffled by Crushing Bore's evaluations of the album. He calls "All the Lazy Dykes" "unlistenable," yet I listen to it over and over.
It's very pretty!

He also says "First of the Gang to Die" is "not 100% sophisticated," whatever the heck THAT means!

Re: I don't know either

I also think it's one of the better songs on the album. It's one of the few songs that actually has something to SAY. Granted, he could've gone a bit deeper with the lyrics, but the general theme of a woman having difficulty fitting into society's ideal of being a good "wife" is interesting. So is Morrissey being exactly literal in this song? I mean, is the song really an appeal to only those women who are closeted lesbians to come out and find love with another woman? Or is it more of an allegory, in that there are lots of women who feel pressure to get married and lots of women who erroneously believe that men will somehow make them happy ever after. You know, you don't have to be a lesbian to reject the "man as savior" crap that is still being drilled into us. And if you think that we have actually been liberated from these ideals, well just pick up any "women's magazine" in the supermarket, and you'll find countless articles on "how to keep your man," or "how to get a man," or know "how to when it's the right man." Whatever.

Anyway, what I'm really wondering about this song is why Morrissey calls the dykes "lazy." Is it irony of some sort--like they are lesbians only because they are too "lazy" to play the game of attracting a man? Or is it something else?

> Anyway, what I'm really wondering about this song is why Morrissey calls
> the dykes "lazy." Is it irony of some sort--like they are
> lesbians only because they are too "lazy" to play the game of
> attracting a man? Or is it something else?

maybe because the woman who is married is always having to give and give and give while these other women can hang out and do what they want.

> maybe because the woman who is married is always having to give and give
> and give while these other women can hang out and do what they want.

My problem with the song is its terribly dated perspective. Sorry, but men aren't the only people who objectify women. And heterosexual relationships aren't the only ones to put people into "gender role" boxes (I could go on for pages about "boi" culture, for instance.) That's why this song annoys the hell out of me. Plus it's plodding and dull musically. Live it was a snooze -- the only song during the entire set that I found boring.

> maybe because the woman who is married is always having to give and give
> and give while these other women can hang out and do what they want.

You have a point!
To the above poster, I don't think they're too lazy to hunt a man. It takes alot of work to be a lesbian, my sister is one so I know.

I agree completely. I defended the song when the album first arrived. For me, ATLD, and I'm not sorry are my two favorite songs on the album. Many people a problem with I'm not sorry as well, and for me, it is one of Mozs most beautiful efforts.

More importantly, as with many Morrissey songs, I think people take ATLD way too seriously. IMO, a lot of it is certainly tongue in cheek.

I have no idea- maybe so far what I've read they're male reviewers allergic to a story of a woman breaking out of her unhappy relationship with a bloke for other women. Whereas it might be fine for them to fantasise along with Morrissey secretly when he sings about male/male situations. Its alright for them. It wouldnt be alright for their girlfriend.

Yes I like it too. I think its tender and sensitive and sympathetic and sweet.

> My problem with the song is its terribly dated perspective. Sorry, but men
> aren't the only people who objectify women. And heterosexual relationships
> aren't the only ones to put people into "gender role" boxes (I
> could go on for pages about "boi" culture, for instance.) That's
> why this song annoys the hell out of me. Plus it's plodding and dull
> musically. Live it was a snooze -- the only song during the entire set
> that I found boring.

i'm sure that moz could address the rest of these atrocities in other songs!

I really like this song. Its melody leaves nothing further to wish for. The lyrics are daring and funny.

Back
Top Bottom