Why do Mexican Americans love Morrissey so much? - The Washington Post

The answer is that their parents and grandparents grew up with excellent local break up ballads, and passed down the love of that music to their kids, and they slightly rebelled by getting their fix from Moz instead...

These are a couple of examples of that excellent east LA 60s sound. And all three of these songs are true classics, I really mean that, you just haven't heard them yet. Enjoy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank You. I have never read/seen/heard Ritchie Valens brought into the conversation. Any fair connection to what he was doing as a pioneer not just within the Mexican-American community but within music itself (i.e. contemporary of Buddy Holly) and what you have posted and Morrissey?

The answer is that their parents and grandparents grew up with excellent local break up ballads, and passed down the love of that music to their kids, and they slightly rebelled by getting their fix from Moz instead...

These are a couple of examples of that excellent east LA 60s sound. And all three of these songs are true classics, I really mean that, you just haven't heard them yet. Enjoy!

Why do Mexican Americans love Morrissey so much? - The Washington Post
by Javier Cabral

Morrissey’s extremely melancholy ballads have been the theme music for breakups and lost love for decades. Songs like “Suedehead” and “The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get” have always appealed to the angst of young people. But perhaps to none more than those who live in L.A.’s Eastside communities, where Morrissey is, quite simply, obsessed over. Mexican Americans can’t get enough of him. The onetime lead singer of the Smiths is as central to the culture there as bean-and-cheese burritos...

I know it's always the LA fans getting mentioned but I find it interesting that even in south Texas there's a pretty sizable following of moz fans.

Hmmm a couple of irregular regulars interviewed who I kinda know when queuing but really nothing new. Hi Vivian & Jose!

darn, the whole world is unstable, war , ebola...and for Godsake the Washington Post has an isssue
about Morrissey, which is filmed, desribed and He even made a good song about it, why not
make His current labelissue with Harvest as an issue, every one knows about the Latino/Mexican devotees

' and they say he's mentall'... Simon&Garfunkel...

I know it's always the LA fans getting mentioned but I find it interesting that even in south Texas there's a pretty sizable following of moz fans.
that interests me more, because to be honest, Morrissey has long had an "L.A. vibe" about him and since L.A. is mostly?(or at least a lot) inhabited by Mexican-Americans, I just always figured it was one of th L.A. things without analyzing it too much :o
oh yeah and that one time I was part of a convoy of cars, after a show, going to
Pinks_Hot_Dogs.jpg

only then did I notice that "our group" was me, an Asian-American woman and everybody else could have been Hispanic* :guitar:
so yeah, just an L.A. thing man :thumb:

*=I did not check people's I.D.s I am not some pig from Arizona :p

^^^^^
Robby, as usual, is right. At Morrissey's second solo gig in the U.S.A. http://www.passionsjustlikemine.com/live/moz-g910601.htm - at the Pacific Amphitheater in 1991, half the people in line were Mexican-American and we (non Mexican-Americans) never even thought twice about it.

I wasn't the only kid from El Modena High School in that line. But I was the only kid wearing lots of sunscreen. :D (I probably bumped into Robby that long ago? Bizarre. :squiffy:)

Thee Midniters ftw!

I wasn't the only kid from El Modena High School in that line. But I was the only kid wearing lots of sunscreen. :D (I probably bumped into Robby that long ago? Bizarre. :squiffy:)

Thee Midniters ftw!

sorry, my first gig was Pauley :o
was in the best shape of my life, then curently AWOL from the Army, buzz cut hair cut and wearing my "casual dress" uni minus name tag and other identifying shit, possibly wearing my trench coat above it all, details like that escape, it was oh so long go...

Last edited:
Awesome, like CP you have pics!! We should go back and look at that TV special and see if we can spot ourselves in line...pretty sure they showed some of the line...not all 18,000 of us...I have not watched the footage in 20 years.

From PJLM...

The 18000 tickets for this concert were sold out in only one hour. Soundchecks of "Sing Your Life" and "There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends" filmed before this concert were shown on MTV a week later along with interviews of the band members.

This concert and the pre-concert activities outside were taped by Tim Broad to be shown on MTV, but at this point in time, only "Will Never Marry", "Sing Your Life" and "Mute Witness" were shown on ABC's "In Concert '91".

Awesome, like CP you have pics!! We should go back and look at that TV special and see if we can spot ourselves in line...pretty sure they showed some of the line...not all 18,000 of us...I have not watched the footage in 20 years.

From PJLM...

The 18000 tickets for this concert were sold out in only one hour. Soundchecks of "Sing Your Life" and "There's A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends" filmed before this concert were shown on MTV a week later along with interviews of the band members.

This concert and the pre-concert activities outside were taped by Tim Broad to be shown on MTV, but at this point in time, only "Will Never Marry", "Sing Your Life" and "Mute Witness" were shown on ABC's "In Concert '91".

Do you remember the mayhem when the bus pulled up? But it was like a decoy bus and everyone who ran over there argued about their place in line, then Moz's bus pulled up while they were all bitching about who was first...or it drove past and he got out 'round back, I recall seeing him in a bus. Or a van. But I remember more lots of people fighting about the line. This was way before queue etiquette and lists. And we had seats, there was no reason to stand in line, we just wanted to hear sound check. Then we went to Taco Bell for dinner before the show. Don't tell Moz. :p

I do remember hearing the soundcheck, it was like eavesdropping on the most glorious thing ever.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom