Why do anarchists destroy small business shops during riots?

LukaInExile

American Expatriate
I am sure there are some anarchists here who could answer this question. I have been looking at footage of the Greece riots. First of all, let me say I think it is healthy for a society to stand up and remind the police/military/government not to overstep their boundary. If that means a riot, then so be it. If that means a full out revolution, then so be it. The fact that this happens after the murder of a single Greek hooligan is a strong statement to the police not to do it again. Hell, in the USA, teenagers are killed by the police daily. Nothing happens. There is no warning to the police.

But what I can\'t stand is when anarchists start to destroy blocks of businesses, regardless if they are corporate or small business. What the f***?! You are not harming the corporation, but you are harming the small business owner. Get a brain.

I am sure there are some anarchists here who could answer this question. I have been looking at footage of the Greece riots. First of all, let me say I think it is healthy for a society to stand up and remind the police/military/government not to overstep their boundary. If that means a riot, then so be it. If that means a full out revolution, then so be it. The fact that this happens after the murder of a single Greek hooligan is a strong statement to the police not to do it again. Hell, in the USA, teenagers are killed by the police daily. Nothing happens. There is no warning to the police.

But what I can\'t stand is when anarchists start to destroy blocks of businesses, regardless if they are corporate or small business. What the f***?! You are not harming the corporation, but you are harming the small business owner. Get a brain.

cos their f***ing shit houses. and when on their todd they couldn't fight sleep:mad:

Because some of them are complete idots.
To be honest, I wouldn't call the people rioting in Greece, arachists.
I am all for direct action but it needs to be directed at the right people and not against honest, hard working people, it's sensless.:mad:

Because they're a load of pricks with big ideas. In reality they are all little rich boys funded by their wealthy parents who are no doubt bankers. Let's all bouycott Starbucks! Yeah right. Get a job and get a life.

Because there aren't so many of the bigger targets in Greece?

Dunno, but it's not the same all over the world is it?

Either way, yes they should all get jobs. Just an alternative to the dole isn't it.

Eagerly await our resident commies contribution to the thread. My Grandad was a member of the communist party, but I'll use that as a derogatory term if it'll rile them.

In fact, if only they had the balls of the Greeks to smash Maccy D's up instead of just standing outside it whinging.

Stupid thread. The boy who got killed in Greece wasn't a 'hooligan'. He was an unarmed 15 year old political activist, he got in an argument with a police patrol, and they decided this justified killing him.

I don't agree with smashing up independent shops, although nearly everything starts as an independent shop, and just because a shop isn't successful it doesn't mean it's ethical.

It's also true that unfortunately as soon as protests become violent they attract a lot of people with no politics who are just there for the violence, but you shouldn't tar all activists with the same brush.

The title of the thread makes it sound as though anarchists set out to destroy small businesses. We actually do more work trying to protect them than I'm pretty sure you do.

Stupid thread. The boy who got killed in Greece wasn't a 'hooligan'. He was an unarmed 15 year old political activist, he got in an argument with a police patrol, and they decided this justified killing him.

I don't agree with smashing up independent shops, although nearly everything starts as an independent shop, and just because a shop isn't successful it doesn't mean it's ethical.

It's also true that unfortunately as soon as protests become violent they attract a lot of people with no politics who are just there for the violence, but you shouldn't tar all activists with the same brush.

The title of the thread makes it sound as though anarchists set out to destroy small businesses. We actually do more work trying to protect them than I'm pretty sure you do.

as your a child, make the most of it.

I got caught up in the Poll tax riots eons ago and it was well scary.The temptation to trash Mcdonalds was enormous.:guitar:

So smashing up an independent business may prevent it from becoming the next Wal-Mart.

I wonder what you mean about an ethical shop. My mother bought a business 20 years ago. She had worked there previously, and when it was for sale she got a loan and bought it. She had always thought that the business did not pay it's employees well enough, and although the customers were used to paying the price the business charged, she always felt that the business charged too much so she lowered the prices. That seems pretty ethical? No one had to smash her business because it went under in two years leaving her in debt and further behind than she had started.

A huge business is a different thing. One that is reporting huge profits and growing like WalMart is should be held to more strict standards. But it is not easy to live up to a random anarchist's standards and still pay your bills.

So smashing up an independent business may prevent it from becoming the next Wal-Mart.

I wonder what you mean about an ethical shop. My mother bought a business 20 years ago. She had worked there previously, and when it was for sale she got a loan and bought it. She had always thought that the business did not pay it's employees well enough, and although the customers were used to paying the price the business charged, she always felt that the business charged too much so she lowered the prices. That seems pretty ethical? No one had to smash her business because it went under in two years leaving her in debt and further behind than she had started.

A huge business is a different thing. One that is reporting huge profits and growing like WalMart is should be held to more strict standards. But it is not easy to live up to a random anarchist's standards and still pay your bills.

I wasn't saying that the fact an independent shop might become a big shop justifies smashing it up, but people do romanticise small shops and forget that the people running them are not neccessarily good.

I respect people who try to run their businesses ethically, and it's sad when it doesn't work out.

It just shows that they are rich kids.

f*** Maccy's, I woulda gone for the jewelers.

A friend of a friend used to work at the LIFFE and said during those riots in '05, the protesters got a good beating from the traders. Lord knows I wouldn't let the shits into any building I was in.

If I didn't need a job I probably would do stupid shit like that too though, under the premise that I was making a point.

I respect people who try to run their businesses ethically, and it's sad when it doesn't work out.

It rarely does. Gone are the days when a kind and an honest shopkeep builds a loyal customer base and thus a succcesful business on his good name.

In reality a lot are struggling and will sell out to a chain or sell their land to Tesco at the drop of a hat. Shoot 'em.

The title of the thread makes it sound as though anarchists set out to destroy small businesses. We actually do more work trying to protect them than I\'m pretty sure you do.

I am pretty sure i have done more than you. Lets compare lists!!! It will be fun.

When I said hooligan, I meant it in a sweet and tender way.

I actually enjoy reading anarchist literature and believe a lot in what it says. Unfortunately, Black Clad anarchists gave anarchism a very bad name. Lets face it, I doubt Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman would associate with you.

Peace

I was at an Italian restaurant a while back and I could see in the kitchen, and the dish bitch was wearing an anarchist t-shirt. I'm sure The Man was quivering in his boots.

I am pretty sure i have done more than you. Lets compare lists!!! It will be fun.

When I said hooligan, I meant it in a sweet and tender way.

I actually enjoy reading anarchist literature and believe a lot in what it says. Unfortunately, Black Clad anarchists gave anarchism a very bad name. Lets face it, I doubt Emma Goldman and Alexander Berkman would associate with you.

Peace

I think you're being unnecessarily hard on Munchy. :(

That said, Emnma Goildman was my introduction to Anarchism, when I first read "Anarchism: What it Is, and What it's All About" it blew my mind. The beginng of a wonderful journey. Ever read Chomsky?

Tags
bring on the wall england's dreaming sweetntenderhooligan
Back
Top Bottom