Why did Morrissey cover That's Entertainment?

Why did Morrissey cover That's Entertainment?

• Because he respects Paul Weller

Votes: 3 7.9%
  • Because he respects The Jam

Votes: 6 15.8%
  • Because he felt he could do a better job

Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Because he likes the song

Votes: 28 73.7%
  • Other (please specify)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Poco Innocente

A ring a ding ding
because....

I remember he said something like he thought he could do a unique version of the song but later decried the studio version. I like the studio version but the live version is great.

well that shat on my options doorstep

It's a marvellous song indeed. But he made it because he respets them and it's a way to honour them.

I think the original version is much better. But I think moz did a good job of making it his own.

As the poster above said Moz was proably drunk with his new friend at the time Vic Reeves (Jim Moir as on the record) and after 5 minutes went, "I wish I could have written a song in 5 minutes after coming home from the pub. But I never go to the pub."
Where upon Vic suggested doing a cover version of said song instaed.

As an interesting aside do you know as a form of appreciation/ downright disgust Paul Weller, playing as the Paul Weller Movement at the time (them were dark days for him) did a 30 second version of Heaven Knows I'm Miserable Now in concert circa the time Moz's cover version came out?

He wasn't a happy chappy.

i think that he simply liked the song, especially the lyrics, which will have been his 'cup of tea' at the time. I thought he added little or nothing too it, though.

There may have been others from the Weller canon that he could have done better (either better than he did TE or better than The Jam/Style Council/Weller has done).

How about (with tongue firmly in cheek) I was a Dole Dad's ToyBoy, or Bloodsports??

I agree he liked the song lyrically, I like to play his version on the johanna.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moz liked Weller, after all Weller is very British and cultured in the British way, Moz has stated he likes that in a person.

I wouldn't be surprised if Moz liked Weller, after all Weller is very British and cultured in the British way, Moz has stated he likes that in a person.

i'm not so sure that mr. m. is entirely keen on mr. w.: although he obviously liked "that's entertainment" and probably enjoyed some, or more, of the jam's music, i think he considers mr. w. past his best (and that's probably a fair assesment).

i can recall reading an interview circa 1995/'96 where mr. m. recounted how he'd recently watched both mr. w. and supergrass performing on the same edition of jools holland's "later" show and he observed that they just made him look very old & tired (or something like that).

(when "ringleader..." was issued, it made me wonder whether mr. m. would be willing to appear on the same edition of the jools holland show as arctic monkeys.)

I like the way that Morrissey has made the song more whimsical. The Jam version is very fast paced and Weller puts across a real sense of anger. Morrissey however (from the slower paced, laid back delivery) puts across more that he just doesn't understand the world that he sees.

Back
Top Bottom