why cant Morrissey issue a proper re-release?

chrisarclark

Boycott Moz
can someone explain why Moz seems incapable of issuing a proper, satisfying, logical re-release?

ive juste now noticed that the to-be-released "Glamorous Glue" singles hav Viva Hate outtakes as b-sides- "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home" and "Treat Me Like A Human Being". isuppose it's part of a greatest hits (which spans only Viva Hate to The World Of Morrissey), but would these not be more appropriately placed on a Viva Hate-era re-issue?

this has been going on forever;

in 1997, EMI re-released Viva Hate with 8 bonus tracks- of these, 1 was a live version of a Viva Hate b-side, 3 were Bona Drag-era, 1 was a Kill Uncle-era, 2 were Your Arsenal-era and finally 1 Vauxhall And I-era. sensible....

on the re-issue of Southpaw Grammar in 2009, included was an unreleased song from 1992, Your Arsenal-era, to the exclusion of the excellent SG-b-side, "You Must Please Remember".

the Maladjusted re-issue of 2009 did not mix eras, it just sucked- didn't offer anything new (like, say, "Kit") and actually removed material (though "Papa Jack" was not missed much, the removal of "Roy's Keen" was shocking).

the re-release of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" in 2010 included a version that had a 1991 live cover of the New York Dolls' "Trash"- a cover that is solidly placed in the Kill Uncle-era thanks to its frequent play on that tour and inclusion on the Live In Dallas video. and really, even re-issuing EDILS, a Viva Hate single, as part of a Bona Drag re-release seems a little stupid- should it not have been something like "November Spawned A Monster" (especially since the other b-side was the horrible "November The Second").

speaking of the 20th anniversary edition of Bona Drag, theres another butchering. the first obvious mistake on the original that shouldve been corrected on the re-release was replacing the edit version of the classic "Will Never Marry" with the original full length version- instead, they replaced the original final edit of "Piccadilly Palare" with the inferior "full length version" along with unnecessary edits of "Interesting Drug", "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" and "Suedehead". add 2 previously unreleased/never should hav been released Viva Hate outtakes, another Viva Hate-era outtake in "Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness", an actual Bona Drag-era outtake in "Oh Phoney" (surprisingly logical inclusion), a fair enough if not pointless early version of "At Amber" and a Your Arsenal b-side and you've got another failure.

and now a "Glam Glue" single with Viva Hate-era outtakes (a lot of those kickin'round).

a pretty sorry track record indeed- and that's without even commenting on the lacking, misguided and/or useless track selection on The World Of Morrissey, My Early Burglary Years, Swords and the various greatest hits comps (and even the original Bona Drag). why should this be so difficult?

important-ops-logo.jpg

'Cause he's mmmental.

Next question?

Along the lines of this, think of each song as a type of musical card. Each rerelease is him reshuffling a powerful deck. It doesn't make sense to the record buyer but he's perhaps doing it for himself more than anything.

I suppose when it comes to collections of songs there are many factors. Chronology and when a song was written is only one factor (or is that two?) It' hard to walk tall when you're small was a lyric that was kicking around for years and most of Quarry was written in spurts at different times.
However, I understand your frustration. I like everthing to be obssessively in order.

it juste seems to be so self-defeating- these releases couldve been so much stronger.

can someone explain why Moz seems incapable of issuing a proper, satisfying, logical re-release?

ive juste now noticed that the to-be-released "Glamorous Glue" singles hav Viva Hate outtakes as b-sides- "Safe, Warm Lancashire Home" and "Treat Me Like A Human Being". isuppose it's part of a greatest hits (which spans only Viva Hate to The World Of Morrissey), but would these not be more appropriately placed on a Viva Hate-era re-issue?

this has been going on forever;

in 1997, EMI re-released Viva Hate with 8 bonus tracks- of these, 1 was a live version of a Viva Hate b-side, 3 were Bona Drag-era, 1 was a Kill Uncle-era, 2 were Your Arsenal-era and finally 1 Vauxhall And I-era. sensible....

on the re-issue of Southpaw Grammar in 2009, included was an unreleased song from 1992, Your Arsenal-era, to the exclusion of the excellent SG-b-side, "You Must Please Remember".

the Maladjusted re-issue of 2009 did not mix eras, it just sucked- didn't offer anything new (like, say, "Kit") and actually removed material (though "Papa Jack" was not missed much, the removal of "Roy's Keen" was shocking).

the re-release of "Everyday Is Like Sunday" in 2010 included a version that had a 1991 live cover of the New York Dolls' "Trash"- a cover that is solidly placed in the Kill Uncle-era thanks to its frequent play on that tour and inclusion on the Live In Dallas video. and really, even re-issuing EDILS, a Viva Hate single, as part of a Bona Drag re-release seems a little stupid- should it not have been something like "November Spawned A Monster" (especially since the other b-side was the horrible "November The Second").

speaking of the 20th anniversary edition of Bona Drag, theres another butchering. the first obvious mistake on the original that shouldve been corrected on the re-release was replacing the edit version of the classic "Will Never Marry" with the original full length version- instead, they replaced the original final edit of "Piccadilly Palare" with the inferior "full length version" along with unnecessary edits of "Interesting Drug", "Ouija Board, Ouija Board" and "Suedehead". add 2 previously unreleased/never should hav been released Viva Hate outtakes, another Viva Hate-era outtake in "Please Help The Cause Against Loneliness", an actual Bona Drag-era outtake in "Oh Phoney" (surprisingly logical inclusion), a fair enough if not pointless early version of "At Amber" and a Your Arsenal b-side and you've got another failure.

and now a "Glam Glue" single with Viva Hate-era outtakes (a lot of those kickin'round).

a pretty sorry track record indeed- and that's without even commenting on the lacking, misguided and/or useless track selection on The World Of Morrissey, My Early Burglary Years, Swords and the various greatest hits comps (and even the original Bona Drag). why should this be so difficult?

I do believe you don't konow what you're saying.....

The answer is easy. It forces people to buy multiple releases in order to have the complete picture.

The answer is easy. It forces people to buy multiple releases in order to have the complete picture.

it could still be the same number of releases, juste put together in a way that makes sense- if the goal is to in some way convey a complete picture, these types of releases surely do a terrible job of it.

it could still be the same number of releases, juste put together in a way that makes sense- if the goal is to in some way convey a complete picture, these types of releases surely do a terrible job of it.

Welcome to Morrissey's World. :p

Anyway, I organise all of Morrissey's non-album tracks into chronological album-length cds. I never include cover versions or live tracks as I like them to sound like real albums. Does anyone else do this, or am I terribly sad?

Anyway, I organise all of Morrissey's non-album tracks into chronological album-length cds. I never include cover versions or live tracks as I like them to sound like real albums. Does anyone else do this, or am I terribly sad?

I do something similar. What I do is take a studio album of his, then at the end, tack on B-sides, nonalbum tracks, unreleased tracks, what-have-you from the time period. I do include covers. This way, it's my own little re-release, albeit, not remastered. But I feel it gives a good essence of each time period.

yes, ido this and am actually in the process of re-doing this- ihad a bunch of playlists but lost them on my old computer.

how's this for one:

Whatever Happens, I Love You
Have-A-Go Merchant
Boxers
Honey You Know Where To Find Me
Sunny
A Swallow On My Neck
You Must Please Remember
Interlude (extended)
I'd Love To (UK version)
Nobody Loves Us
Black-Eyed Susan
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
Moonriver (extended)

also:

Human Being
Good Looking Man About Town
I Knew I Was Next
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Children In Pieces
Shame Is The Name
Ganglord
Christian Dior
Because Of My Poor Education
My Dearest Love
A Song From Under The Floorboards
Sweetie-Pie
Drive-In Saturday (live)

and:

Satan Rejected My Soul (live)
Heir Apparent
Now I Am A Was
I Can Have Both
This Is Not Your Country
Lost
The Edges Are No Longer Parallel

still woking on tracklistings for Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and YATQ-era non-album tracks....

Last edited:
yes, ido this and am actually in the process of re-doing this- ihad a bunch of playlists but lost them on my old computer.

how's this for one:

Whatever Happens, I Love You
Have-A-Go Merchant
Boxers
Honey You Know Where To Find Me
Sunny
A Swallow On My Neck
You Must Please Remember
Interlude (extended)
I'd Love To (UK version)
Nobody Loves Us
Black-Eyed Susan
You Should Have Been Nice To Me
Moonriver (extended)

also:

Human Being
Good Looking Man About Town
I Knew I Was Next
If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me
Children In Pieces
Shame Is The Name
Ganglord
Christian Dior
Because Of My Poor Education
My Dearest Love
A Song From Under The Floorboards
Sweetie-Pie
Drive-In Saturday (live)

and:

Satan Rejected My Soul (live)
Heir Apparent
Now I Am A Was
I Can Have Both
This Is Not Your Country
Lost
The Edges Are No Longer Parallel

still woking on tracklistings for Viva Hate, Bona Drag, Kill Uncle, Your Arsenal and YATQ-era non-album tracks....

Not bad. I suppose your listings make more sense than mine in terms of documenting all his work, but I don't like the sound of live recordings next to studio ones for some reason. Also, I would rather keep cover versions separate.

I do something similar. What I do is take a studio album of his, then at the end, tack on B-sides, nonalbum tracks, unreleased tracks, what-have-you from the time period. I do include covers. This way, it's my own little re-release, albeit, not remastered. But I feel it gives a good essence of each time period.
Try running the whole thing through a wah-wah pedal. :D

Not bad. I suppose your listings make more sense than mine in terms of documenting all his work, but I don't like the sound of live recordings next to studio ones for some reason. Also, I would rather keep cover versions separate.

iknow what you mean about live recordings, but when they are edited live recordings and if you place them properly within the tracklisting it can work.

idont see why you would exclude covers- imean ido, but then all you can do is compile them ona seperate covers comp and becos Moz's sound and production has changed so much over the years (not really that much, but you know) idont find they fit together well- imagine "East West" next to "Human Being"- doesnt work.

the live version ihav of SRMS is amazing- idont know where it's from- found it a long time ago (2000ish)- it's an amazing performance/perfect edit and the crowd noise juste sounds like samples at the intro and outro.

Back
Top Bottom