Whose new album are you most looking forward to - Morrissey's or Johnny Marr's?

Whose new album are you most looking forward to?

• Total voters

Maurice E

This would have been a no-brainer for me a couple of years ago, but having heard new songs by both of them since then, now I'm not so sure...

Still Morrissey for me. When it comes to music, the voice is the absolute dealbreaker for me, and while I don't by any means hate Johnny's singing voice (I actually have posted several times in support of his voice on Boomslang [not the lyrics though :straightface:]), I prefer Morrissey's.

Johnny for me. The snippets I've heard from the new album sound brilliant, already better than any of Morrissey's "new" batch. Marr has given up writing sloppy self-indulgent nonsense and gone back to his jingly-jangly best. Very excited. "The Messenger" is a bit of a shoddy title, though.

Johnny for me. The snippets I've heard from the new album sound brilliant, already better than any of Morrissey's "new" batch. Marr has given up writing sloppy self-indulgent nonsense and gone back to his jingly-jangly best. Very excited. "The Messenger" is a bit of a shoddy title, though.

Hmmm , how did I know you were going to vote that way ? :rolleyes:

Mmm, Johnny can't sing and Morrissey's band aren't very good at playing music and he can't get a record deal :straightface:

Then again Morrissey could sing along to One Direction's music and he'd still make it sound good.

Pity he's not releasing anything anytime soon.

Hmmm , how did I know you were going to vote that way ? :rolleyes:

Because it's obvious to anyone with ears that Johnny's new stuff is far better musically than Morrissey's efforts? :lbf:

Of course, Morrissey's album will win the poll because this forum is dedicated to him and nobody has lost hope entirely just yet, we're all hoping against the odds for a masterpiece... but purely in terms of which I think will sound better? Johnny all day long. The demo fragments that I've heard are better than the full and live versions of songs like "People are the Same...", "Kid's A Looker" etc etc.

53 seconds of pop heaven:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=365161030190434

Last edited:
Because it's obvious to anyone with ears that Johnny's new stuff is far better musically than Morrissey's efforts? :lbf:

Of course, Morrissey's album will win the poll because this forum is dedicated to him and nobody has lost hope entirely just yet, we're all hoping against the odds for a masterpiece... but purely in terms of which I think will sound better? Johnny all day long. The demo fragments that I've heard are better than the full and live versions of songs like "People are the Same...", "Kid's A Looker" etc etc.

53 seconds of pop heaven:

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=365161030190434

That was a lovely slice ; thanks for posting.

I'm not quite so ready to believe Morrissey's next (?) album will be so very underwhelming. Firstly , YOR is probably my third favourite Moz album ( behind YA & SG) . Secondly , while you've mentioned previously your ... umm ... near-phobic response to "Kid" in particular , it might be worth bearing in mind that there may easily be another dozen new unheard Tobias/Boorer tracks drifting about in various forms. Just as "Hold Onto Your Friends" was one of the weakest tracks on "V&I" and a bizarre choice for single release , so might the existing new songs fall into that category ?

I wish He'd pull "Art-Hounds" out again for a live hearing ...

Last edited:
That was a lovely slice ; thanks for posting.

I'm not quite so ready to believe Morrissey's next (?) album will be so very underwhelming. Firstly , YOR is probably my third favourite Moz album ( behind YA & SG) . Secondly , while you've mentioned previously your ... umm ... near-phobic response to "Kid" in particular , it might be worth bearing in mind that there may easily be another dozen new unheard Tobias/Boorer tracks drifting about in various forms. Just as "Hold Onto Your Friends" was one of the weakest tracks on "V&I" and a bizarre choice for single release , so might the existing new songs fall into that category ?

I wish He'd pull "Art-Hounds" out again for a live hearing ...

:laughing: I've just remembered - it was you who made me listen to it again so I could criticise it fairly, wasn't it? And I complained about the guitars crashing in and Moz having to yelp tunefully over them. Phobic is definitely the right word!

Regarding the new album.. I am hoping for a bit of a miracle, a few hidden gems like "Camden" was on Quarry, or "..Birthday" on Refusal. I'm convinced it won't be a complete write-off, at any rate, and I realise that the best songs overall aren't necessarily the best choices for a single (at least if you want any amount of radio airplay).

Personally, I'm hoping Moz does his old trick and releases a poor single (Kid?) with a stunning B-side and a bunch of similar album tracks. I want all the new songs (except perhaps Scandinavia) to be one gigantic red herring, there to make us think the new album would be poor when it isn't...

I'm going to listen to them both at the same time and pretend it's a The Smiths reunion. :p

Same here. For me, the only one of Morrissey's "new" batch that can keep up with the snippets, that Johnny has shared over the last few months, is "Action Is My Middle Name". My favourite, so far, is "The Trap", but "European Me" and "Here I Go Again" are absolutely brilliant, too.

The Messenger seems to be quite the diverse record; I really can't wait to hear it. :guitar:

:laughing: I've just remembered - it was you who made me listen to it again so I could criticise it fairly, wasn't it? And I complained about the guitars crashing in and Moz having to yelp tunefully over them. Phobic is definitely the right word!

Regarding the new album.. I am hoping for a bit of a miracle, a few hidden gems like "Camden" was on Quarry, or "..Birthday" on Refusal. I'm convinced it won't be a complete write-off, at any rate, and I realise that the best songs overall aren't necessarily the best choices for a single (at least if you want any amount of radio airplay).

Personally, I'm hoping Moz does his old trick and releases a poor single (Kid?) with a stunning B-side and a bunch of similar album tracks. I want all the new songs (except perhaps Scandinavia) to be one gigantic red herring, there to make us think the new album would be poor when it isn't...

That was my attempt at hyperbole - you weren't meant to agree :eek: !

Oddly enough , Scandinavia is the one ( for me) whose charm has died off over the last few months of listening...

Just in reference to the Marr clip , I wonder if this re - appropriation of the "Smithsian" sound parallels Morrissey's eventual ( after 8 years) return to live performances of Smiths tracks ? Vaguely tempted to infer all sorts of things from the varying duration of public aversion shown by both ...

Last edited:
Vaguely tempted to infer all sorts of things from the varying duration of public aversion shown by both ...

Oh come on, spit :cool:.
I think they both avoided Smiths songs for the same reason - to have a stab at a decent solo career - it's just that one of them succeeded and the other one... didn't. Until now?

Oh come on, spit :cool:.
I think they both avoided Smiths songs for the same reason - to have a stab at a decent solo career - it's just that one of them succeeded and the other one... didn't. Until now?

No , no, it's nothing that exciting ... "remember" may have been a better word than "infer". Simply , it perhaps shows again how terribly toxic Marr was finding the Smiths , both musically and personally, at the end.

I voted for Marr . Thanks for posting the Marr clip Amy . He is going to have a great sounding release getting back to what Amy described as that Smith jingle/jangle sound . So True !
As for Moz........ I think he is done with albums unless he goes with smalller record company .

Definately Marr! He's actually making Smithesque music, so it'll definately be better than Morrissey's boring band.

"Oh, shall we just put a distorted guitar sound over that bit?"
".......yeah"

"looking forward to" is a bit strong, but oh well, I mean, even if "the new album" is terrible, I'll still listen to it a few times
for gosh sakes, its Morrissey were talkin about after all!
and besides, amazing things can happen in a studio with the right producer, engineer and what not, right?

"looking forward to" is a bit strong, but oh well, I mean, even if "the new album" is terrible, I'll still listen to it a few times
for gosh sakes, its Morrissey were talkin about after all!
and besides, amazing things can happen in a studio with the right producer, engineer and what not, right?
I agree.

Interesting to see the level of excitement for J Marr's new album. If it was just another Healers album, I don't think I would be bothered. He's clearly changed his style though, returning to the joyful jangle of the Smiths era. Was really impressed by his recent Smiths covers too - surprised at how good his singing was.
So, it's all change for Marr whereas Morrissey is ploughing the same old furrow but (apparently) without the contributions of Alain Whyte. There is a risk his next album could be his worst.
All he needs is a couple of great songs, though, to turn things around, but it sure as hell can't be done with 'People Are The Same'.

Back
Top Bottom