Votes: 3 23.1%
  • Both

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Neither!

Votes: 1 7.7%

• Total voters
D

DAVIE

It's been annoying me for a while and I want to bring the topic back onto the forum for new and old members to discuss. Morrissey still hasn't spoken to Vini since he turned down Morrissey's offer all those years ago....Street has stayed cleared of Vini and as for Morrissey and Street, who knows?
But who do you think wrote the tracks for Viva Hate? Is Street the songwriter we think he really is? Listen to "Safe Warm Lancashire Home", not exactly like the Viva Hate tracks really...did Vini completely do them? did he do anything to them?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nobody bothered? No? I'm sorry I put the topic up.....

I think it's been done to death, Davie. The consensus is that Street wrote the basic parts of the songs but Reilly embellished them with his wizardry. Even if you don't believe Street was responsible for the VH songs, there's no ambiguity about the post VH stuff (which was also largely brilliant) and I don't think there's any doubt about the EDILS b-sides.
Also, Reilly and Morrissey have met up on good terms in relatively recent times (around the time of Quarry or a bit later).

Also, Reilly and Morrissey have met up on good terms in relatively recent times (around the time of Quarry or a bit later).

ahhh well at least there's some new news that I didn't know of. thank you :)
Judging by The Durutti Column albums, its hard to even assume Vini did anything to the tracks. If Gannon had played the tracks in the studio, I doubt much would have changed as much as I respect Vini and most of his music.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little known fact: Vini Reilly also wrote a vast majority of The Smiths back catalog...

SHIT, its making me think all sorts of things now! Did he write or play any Smiths songs? christ, this is all new to me!

Vini claims to have done both...going so far as to claim ownership of "How Soon Is Now?", "Rubber Ring", "Asleep", "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", and "This Charming Man"...

And you know what? I believe him...

Vini claims to have done both...going so far as to claim ownership of "How Soon Is Now?", "Rubber Ring", "Asleep", "Some Girls Are Bigger Than Others", "There Is A Light That Never Goes Out", "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before", and "This Charming Man"...

And you know what? I believe him...

Now that is a massive statement! Maybe he did write them? Viva Hate doesn't sound that far away from a Smiths album at all....Vini is a genius after all and it would explain why Marr hasn't been very successful after The Smiths.

So there are people in the world who think that Vini wrote most of the famous Smiths songs and every single song off Viva Hate....it's an interesting theory! After all he did write "The Return Of The Durutti Column" and "LC" which are both absolutely amazing pieces of music!

ps. I can actually see Vini playing Smiths songs

That was a great find Viva. Wonder how long that's been sitting there, and if Marr is litigeous like his old pal.

Is Vini really much different to Marr? compare the music off an early Durutti Column album to a Smiths album. I knew there was more to Vini!

So there are people in the world who think that Vini wrote every single song off Viva Hate....

Vini certainly thinks so...

ps. I can actually see Vini playing Smiths songs

So can Vini...
vinismiths.png

Back
Top Bottom