Who would you like to see as the co-writers for the next album?

Who would you like to see as the co-writers for the next album?

• Tobias/Boorer

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Tobias/Boorer/Whyte

Votes: 4 30.8%
  • Tobias/Boorer/Street

Votes: 6 46.2%
  • Tobias/Boorer/Marr

Votes: 2 15.4%
  • Tobias/Boorer/other(s)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Music is not too bad. I like the opening with the childrens' cries. The lyrics are like throwaway prose (rare for Morrissey even at his laziest) -- as if some of his pseudo-political missives on True-to-You were set to music. The vocal melody starts off all right with a couple nice moments but gets progressively worse -- he's running out of air because he's trying to stuff in so many words. There's no humour and the topic has been handled better with Pregnant. I'm a true fan until the end but even I have to relegate this track to the bin.

Kewpie, can you post the link to the all time ranking, por favor? I can't remember where Slum Mums ended up. If it's not in the bottom 10 I'll be shocked.

Interesting, King Leer. What don't you like about it? Music or lyrics?

Music is not too bad. I like the opening with the childrens' cries. The lyrics are like throwaway prose (rare for Morrissey even at his laziest) -- as if some of his pseudo-political missives on True-to-You were set to music. The vocal melody starts off all right with a couple nice moments but gets progressively worse -- he's running out of air because he's trying to stuff in so many words. There's no humour and the topic has been handled better with Pregnant. I'm a true fan until the end but even I have to relegate this track to the bin.

Again, sir, you nail it on the head. He apparently had second thoughts about the vocal performance on "Kit" but not this? I think the vocal sounds like a rough pass, not intended to be the final version. One wonders how lackluster or incomplete the studio versions of "I'm Playing Easy To Get" (a far, far superior song - lyrically one of the best from that year) and the unheard "Home Is A Question Mark" were to grant the puny merits of this song access to his public.

Agree, too, about the "been there, done that better before" feeling. Frankly, I feel that same way about much of the newer material (e.g., "People Are The Same Everywhere" rehashing much of "The World Is Full of Crashing Bores"). The cordial discussion between Worm and Anaesthesine over yonder has me pondering that topic afresh, as well as the debate as to how much input Morrissey provides.

Back
Top Bottom