who should produce morrissey's next album?

postsscript - I too would love Stephen Street to return to the fold, but that's much more for his songwriting skills rather than the production.

I guess so :confused:, then how about:
asset.jpg

:D

This is correct -- I forgot about this. He said it in an interview. That he was lucky to have two excellent world-renowned producers (Finn and Visconti), and that he'd very much like to work with Visconti again.

By the way, I noticed you're new -- welcome to the forums :)

Ah, I see. I wasn't aware of this:)

This is correct -- I forgot about this. He said it in an interview. That he was lucky to have two excellent world-renowned producers (Finn and Visconti), and that he'd very much like to work with Visconti again.

By the way, I noticed you're new -- welcome to the forums :)

The original plan was to have Jeff Saltzman, known for his production of The Killer's Hot Fuss produce the project but he was unable to make it. A blessing in disguise, really.

Well Eno is certainly an interesting option, but let's not forget Morrissey approached him to produce Southpaw Grammar originally, and that didn't happen. Don't know if it was a schedule conflict or an artistic difference; anyone else know. Cale would maybe be interesting. Nigel Goodrich is a great producer, but I dunno if he would be right for Moz?

John Leckie.

As much as I like Jerry Finn, I feel that some songs on Refusal could have really benefited with a different producer. "Birthday" and "You Were Good..." is great, but others like "Paris" and especially "Mama" could have really benefited from someone like Tony Visconti in the chair.

Wow...Brian Eno, what an interesting choice.

Can you even imagine the possibilities? :guitar:

no........I can't.

Although Lillywhite or Street would be fantastic if anyone remembers Mozzer's recent statement on tty there is no chance of him going back to either of those guys at all. He's for some reason infatuated with his last 3 albums and says the past is not him.

I want Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley back in the fold pronto!!! Mainly Ouija Board and November I am referring to and of course some of Kill Uncle. While they're at it what the hell is Kevin Armstrong up to these days?

Last edited:
John Leckie.

As much as I like Jerry Finn, I feel that some songs on Refusal could have really benefited with a different producer. "Birthday" and "You Were Good..." is great, but others like "Paris" and especially "Mama" could have really benefited from someone like Tony Visconti in the chair.

do you think morrissey would ever have two producers on an album. "paris" and "mama" would have been better songs with someone else at the helm, I doubt morrissey would have two producers on a record though. would be great if he did i think.

other than that I'd love stephen street to unite with moz again or brian eno.

no........I can't.

Although Lillywhite or Street would be fantastic if anyone remembers Mozzer's recent statement on tty there is no chance of him going back to either of those guys at all. He's for some reason infatuated with his last 3 albums and says the past is not him.
I want Clive Langer and Alan Winstanley back in the fold pronto!!! Mainly Ouija Board and November I am referring to and of course some of Kill Uncle. While they're at it what the hell is Kevin Armstrong up to these days?

Good question, Married. I often wondered about those other songwriters/musicians/producers that he worked with around the cusp of 1990. People sometimes assume Street wrote all the music to Bona Drag but some of the best songs on there (e.g. November, Piccadilly, He Knows) were (I think) written by Armstrong, Langer/Winstanley etc. Did Langer/Winstanley produce Ouija? I know that Street wrote it. At the time, it was considered to be the worst thing Morrissey had ever put his name to (by a considerable margin)...

He has his own studio in Portugal where he produces a few bands. I think the only thing of Morrissey's he's produced is "Interlude," correct me if I'm wrong.

While we're at it, perhaps Alain :guitar: and JMarr :D

Yeah agreed, bring the Marr back! (yeah right!)

its not who -its where- a damp afternoon in the north of england will produce better songs than a warm pleasant evening in la ever could

I guess so :confused:, then how about:
asset.jpg

:D

Absolutely brilliant choice. Dre is a producer par excellence, this would usher in a new era, and would be relevant as hell. Would love to see it happen but I think its about as likely as my 'Plowshares' theory..:guitar:

Good question, Married. I often wondered about those other songwriters/musicians/producers that he worked with around the cusp of 1990. People sometimes assume Street wrote all the music to Bona Drag but some of the best songs on there (e.g. November, Piccadilly, He Knows) were (I think) written by Armstrong, Langer/Winstanley etc. Did Langer/Winstanley produce Ouija? I know that Street wrote it. At the time, it was considered to be the worst thing Morrissey had ever put his name to (by a considerable margin)...

Maurice I'm not married, I am marred :) (2 very different words)

Yeah everyone forgets about Armstrong and very little is known about him maybe because he never sued Morrissey but I sometimes think I like Armstrong's guitar work even more than Streets.

Langer & Winstanley produced -

Ouija Board, Ouija Board
November spawned a monster
Piccadilly Palare
Kill Uncle
Our Frank
Sing you life
Pregnant for the last time
My love life

November spawned a monster and also written by Moz & Langer (got to be the first and only time Moz has co wrote with a producer and it turns out to be one of the best he has ever penned!)

Moz & Armstrong wrote -

He knows I'd love to see him (which happens to be my favorite Moz song)
Picadilly Palare

and was Mozzer's guitarist on the Ouija board, November and Piccadilly singles and B sides

He has his own studio in Portugal where he produces a few bands. I think the only thing of Morrissey's he's produced is "Interlude," correct me if I'm wrong.

While we're at it, perhaps Alain :guitar: and JMarr :D

You're correct.
But I really wish Smiths never reunit again. It makes no sense, anymore. They will play only for getting money - IMO

You're correct.
But I really wish Smiths never reunit again. It makes no sense, anymore. They will play only for getting money - IMO

I doubt they will tbh, Johnny Marr would have played at Morrissey's 50th Birthday otherwise....

Some record producers are SO over-rated, way too over-rated.

I think Morrissey should produce his next album himself, he's denitely learned enough and has enough experience to do so, :guitar:

I quite like the idea of having Jeff Saltzman as the produced. I believe he would add something very fresh to a new Morrissey album. But then again so would Brian Eno... Maybe Morrissey could reunite with Tony Visconti? I'm a very confused little boy :D

Let's be honest here... No matter who Morrissey has in the director's chair, I'm sure the material will of a very good standard. Every Morrissey album I love to bits, some more than others. Just to prove my point; there is not one album I find terrible, tacky or horrid.

Back
Top Bottom