Who is the most intelligent song lyricist who ever lived?

He's already been mentioned earlier, and Moz aside, I have to agree that I love Billy Bragg. Lovers Town Revisited, St. Swithin's Day and Man In The Iron Mask are all great examples. Totally unique guy:thumb:

I think part of being intelligent as a lyricist is understanding the medium well enough to know that good lyrics aren't necessarily "smart" lyrics. For that matter, they need not be lyrics at all. A yelp or a sigh in the right places can be just as effective as a polished line. So, for me, Morrissey is the finest lyricist. Not because his lyrics make me think of Byron's poetry, but because he combined the best of a bookish sensibility with amazing pop instincts.

Other "smart" lyricists I would put up there would be Robert Forster, Grant McLennan, Bob Dylan, Chuck D., and Lennon/McCartney.

I think part of being intelligent as a lyricist is understanding the medium well enough to know that good lyrics aren't necessarily "smart" lyrics. For that matter, they need not be lyrics at all. A yelp or a sigh in the right places can be just as effective as a polished line. So, for me, Morrissey is the finest lyricist. Not because his lyrics make me think of Byron's poetry, but because he combined the best of a bookish sensibility with amazing pop instincts.

Other "smart" lyricists I would put up there would be Robert Forster, Grant McLennan, Bob Dylan, Chuck D., and Lennon/McCartney.
Well said, as always...

50 posts and only one woman so far (I'll ignore Lady Gaga) :confused:

I've not got much by these people, but surely Natalie Merchant, Tori Amos, Amy Winehouse, Dolly Parton, Isobel Campbell, Traci Chapman and even Ellie Greenwich (who I only heard of last week when she died) deserve a mention.

Dave

The lead singer of Sham 69 has a PhD, I am told...

Back
Top Bottom