Who have you seen live? And best gigs in general

When I saw The Courteeners in Oxford after the release of their second album, I was surprised by the amount of knob heads at that gig. It was the only time I have seen a band and actually was concerned for my wife safety. I can't say the band were even that good which was a surprise

Last saw James with Happy Mondays as support about 30 years ago at The Ritz in Manchester, it was a great night, nice to see them playing an arena tour together next year.

Last edited:
When I saw The Courteeners in Oxford after the release of their second album, I was surprised by the amount of knob heads at that gig. It was the only time I have seen a band and actually was concerned for my wife safety. I can't say the band were even that good which was a surprise
You know that doesn't surprise me as the louts who were at The Courteeners gig I mentioned earlier were in to it in a big way, singing every song whilst behaving like serious arseholes. I get the feeling they've got a nedish following throughout the UK.

My old boss saw Oasis at the O2 Arena, London a few years back and was shocked that a lot of the audience were there for a punch up as much as seeing the band with Liam egging them on from the stage. Apparently he left before the end because he didn't want to be stood at the tube station with 20,000 dickheads.

My old boss saw Oasis at the O2 Arena, London a few years back and was shocked that a lot of the audience were there for a punch up as much as seeing the band with Liam egging them on from the stage. Apparently he left before the end because he didn't want to be stood at the tube station with 20,000 dickheads.
Shame, he could have made it 20,001.

Some of my standouts...

Houghton Weavers, 1985, Stockport

Inspiral Carpets, 1991, Poole Arts Centre

The Verve, 1994, Clapham Grand

Morrissey, 1995, Motherwell

The Sex Pistols, 1996, Finsbury Park

Johnny Cash, 1997, RAH

Bert Jansch & Johnny Marr, 2000, The Lowry

Nick Cave, 2004, Hastings

Morrissey, 2006, Paris

Chris Isaak, 2007, Hammersmith Apollo

Proclaimers, 2013, Weston Super Mare

Stone Roses, 2017, Leeds

Frankie Valli, 2018, Cardiff

Peter Hook, 2019, Holmfirth

Last saw James with Happy Mondays as support about 30 years ago at The Ritz in Manchester, it was a great night, nice to see them playing an arena tour together next year.

Did The Mondays seem like they were enjoying it back then? I saw them in ‘92 and ‘17: Shaun Ryder looked like he he’d rather be anywhere else on each occasion.

Did The Mondays seem like they were enjoying it back then? I saw them in ‘92 and ‘17: Shaun Ryder looked like he he’d rather be anywhere else on each occasion.

they seemed to be but I didn’t know any of the songs, James were very good. What did you think of Holmfirth Picturedome, it’s one of my favourite venues. Have you heard Aries by Gorillaz and Pete Hook?

Some of my standouts...

Houghton Weavers, 1985, Stockport

Inspiral Carpets, 1991, Poole Arts Centre

The Verve, 1994, Clapham Grand

Morrissey, 1995, Motherwell

The Sex Pistols, 1996, Finsbury Park

Johnny Cash, 1997, RAH

Bert Jansch & Johnny Marr, 2000, The Lowry

Nick Cave, 2004, Hastings

Morrissey, 2006, Paris

Chris Isaak, 2007, Hammersmith Apollo

Proclaimers, 2013, Weston Super Mare

Stone Roses, 2017, Leeds

Frankie Valli, 2018, Cardiff

Peter Hook, 2019, Holmfirth
I love Nick Cave; never had the chance to see him live though. That was the Abattoir Blues tour wasn't it? I've got the DVD.

He has a new live album out next week, it looks great.

I love Nick Cave; never had the chance to see him live though. That was the Abattoir Blues tour wasn't it? I've got the DVD.

He has a new live album out next week, it looks great.
The Boatman’s Call and No More Shall we Part are amongst my favourite records. The Cave gig was in a pub, at the end of Hastings Pier. It’s remarkable that he played there at all. I’ve noticed his audiences are massive these days—but he seemed to be just on the brink of that arena filling level in 2004. I anticipate the he’ll headline Glastonbury sometime soon.

The Boatman’s Call and No More Shall we Part are amongst my favourite records. The Cave gig was in a pub, at the end of Hastings Pier. It’s remarkable that he played there at all. I’ve noticed his audiences are massive these days—but he seemed to be just on the brink of that arena filling level in 2004. I anticipate the he’ll headline Glastonbury sometime soon.
I've been a fan since Henry's Dream came out. Great to chat to another NC fan, despite his growing fan base, I really don't know any.👍

they seemed to be but I didn’t know any of the songs, James were very good. What did you think of Holmfirth Picturedome, it’s one of my favourite venues. Have you heard Aries by Gorillaz and Pete Hook?
I loved the Picturedome. It’s the only time I’ve been, when I went to see Peter Hook. But they were happy to accommodate my 10 year old daughter and I in the upper level. It felt safe for her. Great, well-kept, beer too. And a stones throw from The Last of the Summer Wine cafe: ace.

It’s surely one of the UK’s best venues now? Along, perhaps, with The Komedia in Bath (where I saw Tim Burgess a few years back).

Ah, I saw Tim Burgess in Exeter several years ago, when he brought out 'Oh no, I love you'. That was a good gig. What you might call intimate, quite a small venue but enjoyable👍.

The Charlatans were a great band. Not too keen on their last 2, I must be honest,but everything up to that 👍

You've got me thinking about NMSWP now - 1 of my all time favourite songs by anyone is Love Letter. The emotion in his voice in that song; beautiful.

And surely some of the best lyrics of all time is God is in the house. A great song.

Cave is a legend👍

Ah, I saw Tim Burgess in Exeter several years ago, when he brought out 'Oh no, I love you'. That was a good gig. What you might call intimate, quite a small venue but enjoyable👍.

The Charlatans were a great band. Not too keen on their last 2, I must be honest,but everything up to that 👍
I would say I’ve felt underwhelmed by The Charlatans’ last four albums. They’re over due a ‘back to basics’ garage rock album.

Back
Top Bottom