Who has read "Set The Boy Free" yet? What does it say about Moz?

I'm sorry.

What I meant to say is... If he writes as good as he plays drums, no ones going to buying his book.

better ? :thumb:

You missed out in your opinion. Bit sad that in your Morrissey can do no wrong world, you have become a very spiteful person and incredibly blinkered. In my opinion Mike is a pretty good drummer.

Another example is the death of Kirsty Maccoll. Both, Johnny and Moz, write about it in their book but somehow Moz expresses it better. Later in Autobiography, years after her death, Moz writes out of the blue "I think of Kirsty and daylight leaves the room and I sink to my lowest". Sometimes a short sentence says more than several pages.

You missed out in your opinion. Bit sad that in your Morrissey can do no wrong world, you have become a very spiteful person and incredibly blinkered. In my opinion Mike is a pretty good drummer.

Just because Biebs isn't around anymore, that's no reason to pick on little ol' me. ;)

So a "enjoyed it" or "great read so far" on twitter is considered a review? Content wise STBF didn't bother me because I expected it but, for me, it isn't written very well. It doesn't convey feelings and emotions very well. Say what you want about Moz but this is something he always was good at. I read the book very quickly and, sadly, have no desire to read it again or to re-read certain passages.

lol chill! i was just saying what i saw on twitter. A lot of the people who saidthey enjoy johnny's book also said that moz book was a drag because it was toonegative. Maybe people appreciate that marr was positive abut the legacy of the smiths?

Just because Biebs isn't around anymore, that's no reason to pick on little ol' me. ;)

Let me help here. Keta, stay in your lane.

CASE CLOSED. ;). I always giggle when I do that, thanks.

It's all good Keta, you roll pretty good by me even though you are the other side of the spectrum of me maybe.

Another example is the death of Kirsty Maccoll. Both, Johnny and Moz, write about it in their book but somehow Moz expresses it better. Later in Autobiography, years after her death, Moz writes out of the blue "I think of Kirsty and daylight leaves the room and I sink to my lowest". Sometimes a short sentence says more than several pages.

A great sentence but no surprise he's a great writer. I don't expect marr to top morrissey in this category but I expect I'll still enjoy the book

Not picking on you at all, it just seems that you have a go at Mike Joyce simply because he took Morrissey to court.

Yeah, wonderful intro there on QID. And the court case.... Mikes two claims to fame.

We all must enjoy things while they last... I hope Mike did. ;)

Let me help here. Keta, stay in your lane.

CASE CLOSED. ;). I always giggle when I do that, thanks.

It's all good Keta, you roll pretty good by me even though you are the other side of the spectrum of me maybe.

what? there's a lane ? I enjoy driving all over these hatebots.... on the speedway of justice! :thumb:

Yeah, wonderful intro there on QID. And the court case.... Mikes two claims to fame.

We all must enjoy things while they last... I hope Mike did. ;)

You're missing, 4 Smiths studio albums, 1 live Smiths album, 10 Smiths compilation albums and 20 Smiths singles. He will be remembered for these far more than the court case that he won.

You're missing, 4 Smiths studio albums, 1 live Smiths album, 10 Smiths compilation albums and 24 Smiths singles. He will be remembered for these far more than the court case that he won.

Oh please ! We all know that Morrissey also played the drums on those songs ! he's very talented, but that's no surprise.

what? there's a lane ? I enjoy driving all over these hatebots.... on the speedway of justice! :thumb:

No hatebot here, have seen the Smiths a couple of times and Morrissey more times than I can remember. Just have a balanced view, rather than a one dimensional view of things.

No hatebot here, have seen the Smiths a couple of times and Morrissey more times than I can remember. Just have a balanced view, rather than a one dimensional view of things.

then what dimension is your view? two,three, fourth dimensional ? must be a burden to have such a wide scope of the world.

I've read it. I was hoping for more gossip, scandal and salacious rumour about Morrissey but that is totally off the mark, and why shouldn't it be? Johnny Marr is possibly the coolest person on earth and this really is reflected in his autobiography. No scandal at all. Weirdly, and I BLOODY LOVED autobiography, Morrissey comes across better in Johnny's book than he does in his own damn autobiography. I think Johnny has been exceptionally kind to Morrissey and perhaps left out rather a lot of the frustration and hurt and annoyance that was involved with working with Moz. That could be for Morrissey's sake, or the fact it was all so long ago, or whatever, but I'm actually really happy about that because they were f***ing brilliant together, and it's actually heartbreaking to think of thirty year old resentments taking over the music that has meant so much to me at different points throughout my life. I listen to The Smiths every single day and I can honestly say certain songs sound like I'm hearing them for the first time ever, every time, even now.

Johnny is f***ing cool though, really f***ing cool. There's a part in the autobiography where he talks about answering a knock at the door and Bruce Springsteen being on the other side of it! That's really f***ing cool.

Is anyone going to be at the Barbican on Thursday? I'm not sure what to expect (but it'll probably be cool).

I've read it. I was hoping for more gossip, scandal and salacious rumour about Morrissey but that is totally off the mark, and why shouldn't it be? Johnny Marr is possibly the coolest person on earth and this really is reflected in his autobiography. No scandal at all. Weirdly, and I BLOODY LOVED autobiography, Morrissey comes across better in Johnny's book than he does in his own damn autobiography. I think Johnny has been exceptionally kind to Morrissey and perhaps left out rather a lot of the frustration and hurt and annoyance that was involved with working with Moz. That could be for Morrissey's sake, or the fact it was all so long ago, or whatever, but I'm actually really happy about that because they were f***ing brilliant together, and it's actually heartbreaking to think of thirty year old resentments taking over the music that has meant so much to me at different points throughout my life. I listen to The Smiths every single day and I can honestly say certain songs sound like I'm hearing them for the first time ever, every time, even now.

Johnny is f***ing cool though, really f***ing cool. There's a part in the autobiography where he talks about answering a knock at the door and Bruce Springsteen being on the other side of it! That's really f***ing cool.

Is anyone going to be at the Barbican on Thursday? I'm not sure what to expect (but it'll probably be cool).

Good to know that Johnny is "f***ing cool". Someone has to fit this description. I don't think Moz ever intented to be called that.

Good to know that Johnny is "f***ing cool". Someone has to fit this description. I don't think Moz ever intented to be called that.

Ah, I'd forgotten the vale of tears that is this website (old user but forgot my log in details). It wasn't a slight against Morrissey, bloody love the fella, named my cat after him and everything. I'd have called her Johnny Marr, but she's not really cool enough….

is quality of the pictures in a kindle version good?
Having the book and the digital version(s) - I compared the two. No real vast difference except a bit smaller on screen. The colour pictures look ok, but the black and white ones are a bit better.
Here is a small example of the 'epub' version.
More on topic - I will give it a second read before commenting as it isn't 'feeling' like an autobiography to me at the moment .
Regards,
FWD.
Screenshot_2016-11-08-06-44-13.png

Last edited:
I suspect, if it ever happens, Boz's book would be illuminating around Kirsty. Especially as Lyn was part of the Justice for Kirsty campaign along with Kirsty's Mother. Still utterly despicable nobody did time for removing such a wonderful talent from us.
Regards,
FWD.

Back
Top Bottom